You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is Affinity Publisher doing this?

Try moving the blurred image to the side. If it becomes clear after that, then it's a document rendering bug.

Moving it didn't make a difference. The blurring issue seems to be random, meaning when I exit the program and come back in different image are blurred. I have 100 pages with 75 of them with 8 images each and need to add more pages.
I have never been so frustrated and unhappy with a software and I have been doing internet marketing and website building for over 20 years.
I tried to export the book to a pdf to see what it would look like and it won't let me because of all the errors, of which there are hundreds because of spelling "mistakes" and missing characters. The pronunciations alone are causing spelling issues.  I want the book to print the way I am designing it. Is there a way to turn off the errors? How the heck am I going to be able to publish this when I need the pdf to submit? I am trying to stay calm. 

Edited by jwardzala

4 hours ago, jwardzala said:

Where is the "Status Column"? How would that help to fix the problem?

In "Document" (on the Menu Bar) – "Resource Manager". It will show if an image is missing, if it is you will need to replace it. If, as has been suggested, the blurring is just a display issue (and the images are not actually missing) there should be no problem with an exported PDF.

If you want to disable spell checking, go to "Text" – "Spelling" and untick "Check spelling while typing".

When you say that it won't let you export to PDF, do you mean that you can't create a PDF, or just that it warns that there are problems?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 hours ago, anto said:

I had another similar bug

Now, sometimes I also have some images blurred. Sometimes helps only zoom in/out of page. I think this bug is not solved yet.

Thank you for sharing that. I am spending so much time. I have a deadline of the 10th to get this out and I keep running into issues. The biggest one now is I can't convert it to a PDF because it says I have errors. Checked those and most are spelling errors which there will be because of the pronunciations. 

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

In "Document" (on the Menu Bar) – "Resource Manager". It will show if an image is missing, if it is you will need to replace it. If, as has been suggested, the blurring is just a display issue (and the images are not actually missing) there should be no problem with an exported PDF.

If you want to disable spell checking, go to "Text" – "Spelling" and untick "Check spelling while typing".

When you say that it won't let you export to PDF, do you mean that you can't create a PDF, or just that it warns that there are problems?

I can't export to a PDF to see if the images are ok because of the errors. It is going to take me forever to as -ee, -sore, etc. in the pronunciations. I would like to turn the off so I can export to the PDF. 
In resource manager it is showing some images are linked and some embedded. I didn't do anything different when adding images. Why the difference. They all came from images I have on a desktop file. 

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

As PaulEC said above, if you don’t want to see the spelling errors then turn spell checking OFF.

You can still export even if the Preflight says you have errors, just tell the software to ignore the errors when you use the export functionality.

I will try that thank you.

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You can still export even if the Preflight says you have errors, just tell the software to ignore the errors when you use the export functionality.

Or adapt and save the Preflight Settings to your needs e.g. turning off spelling errors if you are sure everything is written correctly.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

As PaulEC said above, if you don’t want to see the spelling errors then turn spell checking OFF.

Thank you. I did that and I got the pdf. I really appreciate your response.

5 hours ago, Catshill said:

It appears to be a result of the application saving memory. It catches up with itself eventually.

I wish that were true. When I exported it to PDF some of the images were still blurry and one was pixelated. There are all images done in .png form. 

36 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You're welcome.

Sarcasm? Reading jwardzala's latest comment it sounds to me that the problem is still not fixed.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

In resource manager it is showing some images are linked and some embedded.

Screenshot with Resource manager?
Whether the documents are Linked or Embedded is not important, but as mentioned earlier, the Status of the images is so important.

They all came from images I have on a desktop file. 

It is not important where the inserted images are stored, but how they were inserted.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

In resource manager it is showing some images are linked and some embedded. I didn't do anything different when adding images. Why the difference. They all came from images I have on a desktop file. 

Linked or embedded is not a point here, that's why I mentioned the Status column. You can scroll through all entries to detect any not-"OK". Or you click on the label "Status" to get them sorted, if the list then starts with "OK" click "Status" again to switch the list order.

The way you get an image into your .afpub may influence this method. Using the clipboard (copy/paste) may place them as embedded whereas using File > Place or the Place Tool will do it according to your Document Setup.

1 hour ago, jwardzala said:

When I exported it to PDF some of the images were still blurry and one was pixelated. There are all images done in .png form. 

Again a check via Resource Manager: If the affected items have their status "OK" then their placed DPI may be insufficient. Can be checked in the column "Placed DPI" (sortable, too). Placed DPI should be equal at least or not be remarkable lower than the documents DPI.

For easier investigation it would be useful if you upload an Affinity document. You can delete all other pages and objects then the one with the issue. If the image is not embedded but linked you'd need to upload the image file separately to enable a check on a different computer.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I guess because I am a newbie I am limited to the number of posts I can do a day.
I changed all the images over to embed. Everything in Resource Manager said OK. The resource manager crashed twice while I was switching the images to embed. When it crashes all my work on over 100 images went back to linked. I guess I should be grateful the program didn't crash too. Maybe I was going too fast for it. 

Can I set the images to embed when I add them?  

I am really struggling with this program as a whole. I have decided I am not going to shut down it down ever. I am wasting so much time and will not be able to publish the book on time.
Every time I exit the program and start it up again text disappears including the containers, images blur, images disappear, images move, images end up embedded in strange places, all of sudden for no reason a master doesn't work correctly and text boxes lock up, I can't delete pages the option isn't available, I am having issues with the TOC (another thread) and the 25 page affinity document that I added to the beginning ended up with each text line a paragraph by itself and it takes a lot of time to make any corrections.  

each line a paragraph.png

???

19 hours ago, thomaso said:

For easier investigation it would be useful if you upload an Affinity document. You can delete all other pages and objects then the one with the issue.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, jwardzala said:

I am really struggling with this program as a whole. I have decided I am not going to shut down it down ever. I am wasting so much time and will not be able to publish the book on time.

Maybe it is just a 'normal' learning curve. You have already come quite far with the creation of 132 pages, especially when you consider the complexity of such an application, the creation of which required several professions, e.g. typesetters, designers, lithographers, only about 50 years ago.

I changed all the images over to embed. Everything in Resource Manager said OK. The resource manager crashed twice while I was switching the images to embed. When it crashes all my work on over 100 images went back to linked. I guess I should be grateful the program didn't crash too.

In what way did the Resource Manager crash, not the app?

Embedding all images is not necessarily an advantage. It can increase the .afpup file size massively and thus demands from the app kind of handling 1 big thing instead of a bunch of linked and separate items.

In "Document Setup…" you can set the preference of linked or embedded of new resources for this document, in the app's "Preferences…" you can set it for the resources in new documents.

Every time I exit the program and start it up again text disappears including the containers, images blur, images disappear, images move, images end up embedded in strange places, all of sudden for no reason a master doesn't work correctly and text boxes lock up, I can't delete pages the option isn't available, I am having issues with the TOC (another thread) and the 25 page affinity document that I added to the beginning ended up with each text line a paragraph by itself and it takes a lot of time to make any corrections.

It's hard to judge by this list of various odd occurrences what is going on actually without the ability to have a look into such an affected document to check its various settings and object dependencies. I vaguely suppose some of your observations would be related to master pages: their setup, their assignment to and handling on document pages. Also, adding 25 pages (as uneven number of pages) at the beginning of a facing pages document will force a shift of all following (existing) pages from being a right to a left page. That may cause a lot of confusion, for the app in conflicting (ambiguous) results and for the user at least visually.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

13 hours ago, thomaso said:

"In what way did the Resource Manager crash, not the app?""

Error message: Resource Manager is closing. And it just disappears and I can get back in there to start all over again. 

"Maybe it is just a 'normal' learning curve. You have already come quite far with the creation of 132 pages, especially when you consider the complexity of such an application, the creation of which required several professions, e.g. typesetters, designers, lithographers, only about 50 years ago."

The program is amazing...if it would work right. I am not new to learning new things. I am long in the tooth and have been creating websites for 20 years, currently have a successful SEO company for the last 20 years, been in marketing for many years, self taught in DOS when it was new and wrote little programs, I leaned Fortran in high school and currently work successfully work in HTML. I have created Access database programs for myself and small companies. I used to build PC's.  I was even tech support for many years. I am used to complicated. Yes I have a very large project but this program is one of the buggiest programs I have ever worked in. It is not stable. It crashes a lot. It doesn't doesn't seem to like a like of images and pages. I also have another 50 pages yet to go. 

"Embedding all images is not necessarily an advantage. It can increase the .afpup file size massively and thus demands from the app kind of handling 1 big thing instead of a bunch of linked and separate items."

"In "Document Setup…" you can set the preference of linked or embedded of new resources for this document, in the app's "Preferences…" you can set it for the resources in new documents."

Thank you. I changed it to Embed. It was the linked images that were causing issues. I had no choice but to embed them. I can't see where the crashes and issues can get any worse. The program is a little slower now. 

"It's hard to judge by this list of various odd occurrences what is going on actually without the ability to have a look into such an affected document to check its various settings and object dependencies. I vaguely suppose some of your observations would be related to master pages: their setup, their assignment to and handling on document pages. Also, adding 25 pages (as uneven number of pages) at the beginning of a facing pages document will force a shift of all following (existing) pages from being a right to a left page. That may cause a lot of confusion, for the app in conflicting (ambiguous) results and for the user at least visually."

The Master Pages are pretty straight forward. You put the containers where you want them, set embedded images in containers you want to be on each page for that master and set the font and font size in respective text boxes. Regarding the 25 pages I added, there is the cover page which makes it even. I am careful about which pages are next to each other.

13 hours ago, thomaso said:

In what way did the Resource Manager crash, not the app?

Embedding all images is not necessarily an advantage. It can increase the .afpup file size massively and thus demands from the app kind of handling 1 big thing instead of a bunch of linked and separate items.

In "Document Setup…" you can set the preference of linked or embedded of new resources for this document, in the app's "Preferences…" you can set it for the resources in new documents.

It's hard to judge by this list of various odd occurrences what is going on actually without the ability to have a look into such an affected document to check its various settings and object dependencies. I vaguely suppose some of your observations would be related to master pages: their setup, their assignment to and handling on document pages. Also, adding 25 pages (as uneven number of pages) at the beginning of a facing pages document will force a shift of all following (existing) pages from being a right to a left page. That may cause a lot of confusion, for the app in conflicting (ambiguous) results and for the user at least visually.

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

"In what way did the Resource Manager crash, not the app?""

Error message: Resource Manager is closing. And it just disappears and I can get back in there to start all over again. 

"Maybe it is just a 'normal' learning curve. You have already come quite far with the creation of 132 pages, especially when you consider the complexity of such an application, the creation of which required several professions, e.g. typesetters, designers, lithographers, only about 50 years ago."

The program is amazing...if it would work right. I am not new to learning new things. I am long in the tooth and have been creating websites for 20 years, currently have a successful SEO company for the last 20 years, been in marketing for many years, self taught in DOS when it was new and wrote little programs, I leaned Fortran in high school and currently work successfully work in HTML. I have created Access database programs for myself and small companies. I used to build PC's.  I was even tech support for many years. I am used to complicated. Yes I have a very large project but this program is one of the buggiest programs I have ever worked in. It is not stable. It crashes a lot. It doesn't doesn't seem to like a like of images and pages. I also have another 50 pages yet to go. 

"Embedding all images is not necessarily an advantage. It can increase the .afpup file size massively and thus demands from the app kind of handling 1 big thing instead of a bunch of linked and separate items."

"In "Document Setup…" you can set the preference of linked or embedded of new resources for this document, in the app's "Preferences…" you can set it for the resources in new documents."

Thank you. I changed it to Embed. It was the linked images that were causing issues. I had no choice but to embed them. I can't see where the crashes and issues can get any worse. The program is a little slower now. 

"It's hard to judge by this list of various odd occurrences what is going on actually without the ability to have a look into such an affected document to check its various settings and object dependencies. I vaguely suppose some of your observations would be related to master pages: their setup, their assignment to and handling on document pages. Also, adding 25 pages (as uneven number of pages) at the beginning of a facing pages document will force a shift of all following (existing) pages from being a right to a left page. That may cause a lot of confusion, for the app in conflicting (ambiguous) results and for the user at least visually."

The Master Pages are pretty straight forward. You put the containers where you want them, set embedded images in containers you want to be on each page for that master and set the font and font size in respective text boxes. Regarding the 25 pages I added, there is the cover page which makes it even. I am careful about which pages are next to each other.