You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to change an existing logo so a negative space that is in the middle of a shape can be filled

I'm trying to change the image attached so that the HB in the center is the same color as the circles and the area surrounding the HB is removed, I have searched and youtubed but no luck.

The HB is created as a negative space (I believe is the right term ?) so I can use the stroke to get a line but then the whole shape gets that same line.

600 x 325 Vertical.png

Hello @Hughes and welcome to the forums.

Which programme do you work with? Can you take a screenshot of the layer list?
Would you provide us with the file so that we can find a solution faster?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

In addition to what Komatӧs said above, can you explain more about how should the “area surrounding the HB” be removed?
In particular, how much of the “area” should be “removed” and what do expect to happen with the white lines which are inside that “area”?

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

@NotMyFault I can’t view that image so I don’t know what it is supposed to show.

Removed my post after recognizing his company sells firearms. Don't want to support here, I'm out.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

For this, I would:

• Display the Channels panel
  • Select the Alpha channel
  • Right-click > Load to selection
  • Display all Channels

• Invert the selection
  • Add a new fill layer on top
  • Fill it with the same red
  • Hide the bottom layer

• Select "HB" with a rectangle selection
  • Invert selection and hit delete
  • Hide this layer

• Select bottom layer
    Select the central area around HB with round selection and delete

• Display the top layer

@Hughes,

This is far from perfect, but just to get an idea on what you're after.

BTW, seems like a great company.

hughesballistics1.png

hughesballistics1.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Getting away from any potentially controversial specifics, don’t you simply want a set of aligned shapes with letters in the middle? I can’t see why negative space needs to be considered here.

D07163BB-F535-4F0E-85DE-76605E20FF24.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

🤣🤣 Really?? 🤣

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Apologies I forgot to mention I'm using Affinity Designer. My comment on negative space might have also been confusing, I'm not an experienced graphic user, what I meant was the letters in the middle of the design are not text and therefore I can't manipulate them, they are formed by the area around them and I would like to have them shown like the third example Wosven showed above.

I appreciate everyone explaining how I might achieve this.

7 hours ago, Ron P. said:

@Hughes,

This is far from perfect, but just to get an idea on what you're after.

BTW, seems like a great company.

hughesballistics1.png

hughesballistics1.afphoto 484.41 kB · 0 downloads

That's what I'm trying to achieve, I'm using Designer, appreciate you looking at this, please let me know how you got to the above and I'll go ahead and work on it, looking to learn as much as get to the end result :)

6 hours ago, Wosven said:

I completely deleted the lines and it look strange, but I'm not sure either without the middle of the cible...

2021-10-02_124019.png.8c69da95dd6e31b1a2918d2d74776843.png

Using Rectangles and a Donut for the length of the lines:

2021-10-02_134815.png.82ebe0d3e4c7cb18daca2e182fda3757.png

2021-10-02_134817.png.3f2d3a51f0e7f6b8ff034220be745ea9.png

The 3rd one is exactly what I'm looking for, appreciate it if you could let me know how you got there, as a new user I've looked for video's etc but not come up with the right answers as yet !

7 hours ago, Wosven said:

For this, I would:

• Display the Channels panel
  • Select the Alpha channel
  • Right-click > Load to selection
  • Display all Channels

• Invert the selection
  • Add a new fill layer on top
  • Fill it with the same red
  • Hide the bottom layer

• Select "HB" with a rectangle selection
  • Invert selection and hit delete
  • Hide this layer

• Select bottom layer
    Select the central area around HB with round selection and delete

• Display the top layer

Thank you !

26 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I thought it´s vector as AD is mentioned; This is so trivial to rebuild that I wouldn't waste one pixel on it.

We received the files from a designer on Fivver and wanted to change them, however, you're right, I know enough (Which isn't much as yet as I'm still learning Affinity) to start from scratch and get what I want, so I did ! Sometimes the best advise is the simplest advice - thank you !