You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are macros not bought at the Affinity Store lost when I uninstall and then reinstall Affinity Photo?

If I uninstall and then reinstall Affinity Photo, do I lose the macros that I created or that I obtained outside the Affinity Store? Anything else that I might lose? If I do lose the macros, is there a way I can back them up on my computer and upload them later? Where are the actual macros stored anyway? Thank you!

What OS do you run?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, alecspra said:

I figured it out. I exported the macros to my desktop and then load them back in after the reinstall.

I'm not sure the Desktop is a safe place for that, but I'm not a Mac user. 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 minutes ago, alecspra said:

It's only a temporary hold.

I made a directory/folder that I named Affinity stuff in my Mac's Documents directory. All the templates that I make are in there, as are the Keyboard shortcuts and the Swatches palettes and brushes etc that I want to save. One folder to back up when you upgrade to Monterrey

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure the Desktop is a safe place for that, but I'm not a Mac user. 

It is as safe as any other folder, other than since the desktop folder is always visible in Finder it might be a bit easier to accidentally move one of its items to the trash via the right-click contextual menu where the second item is "Move to Trash."

Personally, I have an "Affinity Work" folder at the top level of my user account's home folder, & in it a subfolder named "zz BRUSHES, PATTERNS, PALLETS, MACROS, FONTS" with subfolders for each of those items. (The "zz " prefix is just there so it sorts near the bottom of the Finder's list view.)

I copy essentially every item of each of those types I have downloaded into these folders, so it is fairly large (about 9 GB currently) but I have lots of free space on my SSD so that is not an issue for me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, Old Bruce said:

I made a directory/folder that I named Affinity stuff in my Mac's Documents directory.

So, it would be great if we can tell to any Affinity app to create a link (in the Preferences) where to search for the items it supports and install them every time on the fly. This way we can avoid the confusion if one needs pixel brushes to install or vector ones and so on.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I don't know if it's similar on Macs, but on Windows you can save the appdata files (I use a flash drive, but I  suppose you could just save to a folder elsewhere) then paste them back, after the new installation.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

13 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I don't know if it's similar on Macs, but on Windows you can save the appdata files (I use a flash drive, but I  suppose you could just save to a folder elsewhere) then paste them back, after the new installation.

But you need to know where are these folders inside Affinity folder structure for each app.

Beside, you have items that can be installed into one only and some others into more.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

11 minutes ago, NNN said:

But you need to know where are these folders inside Affinity folder structure for each app.

PaulIEC told you where. They are located (in Windows) under the AppData folders.

More specific for Photo: C:\Users\ronpe\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user

For Designer: C:\Users\ronpe\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\user

NOTE: If you installed the apps to a different drive, ie; not C:, then you would follow that path.

You might ask why the Roaming and not the Local or LocalLow? I found this explanation helpful;

Local Folder

The Local folder cannot be moved and contains files including saved games, browser data, video card profiles, Microsoft history and more. If you look at the Local folder, odds are you'll see a folder for every program you've installed.

LocalLow Folder

The LocalLow folder also cannot be moved. LocalLow isn't used as much, has a lower integrity level and usually doesn't take up much space. The files found here are often used when running any sort of virtual machine or sandbox, including protected modes with your browsers.

Roaming Folder

The Roaming folder can be moved, and you'll notice that its contents are similar to the Local folder. This folder can be synced with a server and contains a lot of your browser settings, log files, and more. If you're looking to backup your application settings, this is the only folder of the three that's of any use to you.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, NNN said:

This FAQ article tells you where they are:

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, Ron P. said:

NOTE: If you installed the apps to a different drive, ie; not C:, then you would follow that path.

No. No matter where you install the applications, your Windows AppData folder is on drive C. You can move pieces of it to another drive manually, and use symlinks to allow the applications to find it, but unless you do that it remains on C even if the application is on another drive.

I provided some information about doing that here. Note that I'm not recommending it, and I'm sure Serif would say it's not supported if anything goes wrong.

Something similar should work on Macs, but I can't test it or provide any information.

-- Walt
PC:

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Something similar should work on Macs, but I can't test it or provide any information.

It should work, but I really don't know what happens with the current state of affairs with the different flavours of Sandboxing in different versions of the Mac OS. Could well brick the applications.

Oh, and I am not going to test it either.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

41 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It should work, but I really don't know what happens with the current state of affairs with the different flavours of Sandboxing in different versions of the Mac OS. Could well brick the applications.

If we are still talking about where to find where the apps store the macros & other user data folders, it doesn't matter where the app is stored. What does matter is where the Mac user's Home folder is stored, because no matter which store the apps come from, it is in one of that folder's subfolder where all those files are stored.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Affinity Store version

• Affinity Photo: ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo/user/macros.propcol

Mac App Store version

• Affinity Photo: ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/macros.propcol

Mac App Store version ( Big Sur ) :

• Affinity Photo: ~/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/Library/Application Support/user/macros.propcol

And of course using some custom links/symlinks ("ln -s /source/folder /destination/folder") here then under MacOS (a Unix flavor), should usually work as expected.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

20 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

And of course using some custom links/symlinks ("ln -s /source/folder /destination/folder") here then under MacOS (a Unix flavor), should usually work as expected.

Just keep in mind that "usually" is not the same as always. It may not work when updating the app or when resetting some parts of the app.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Just keep in mind that "usually" is not the same as always. It may not work when updating the app or when resetting some parts of the app.

When modifying the Affinity installations filesystem with own custom (sym)links, it's always your own responsibility to take care of that. So it always makes sense and is wise to keep some custom unlink/move back/restore scripts for your initial link purposes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2