You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are you on a MAC?

On Windows there is no such problem and I think on a MAC a single opened document is displayed in a different position

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Open one document and upload a screenshot of what you see

Please include ALL the top half of the interface in the screenshot

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I don't own a MAC but the document name is here (see screenshot) there is no "X" but what is that "*" for?

(Anyone?)

screenclose.png

13 minutes ago, carl123 said:

but what is that "*" for?

"Modified", I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Malinsson said:

I know you can close by hitting cmd + W. But is there a more practical way?

On mac there isn't. If you need to use the mouse/cursor instead of the shortcut key you only can go File > Close.

Another option is switch to View > Separated Mode. Then the documents have a window of their own (separated from bars'n'panels) and can be closed via the red macOS button. To avoid a window mess on the screen caused by several open documents you additionally can activate "Merge Windows". This will combine all open documents in 1 window only and has tabs again like in Non-Separated mode but still separated form the other interface items. Whereas all newly opened documents get a separate window first + require to choose "Merge Windows" again to combine them with the existing set of open files.

With the new feature of View > Studio Presets you can simply switch between various custom UI arrangements once you saved them as preset.

1437793319_separatedmode.jpg.2ecb6b25202719b3e1f30d4a32a72991.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

there is no "X" but what is that "*" for?

On mac the document name in the toolbar has no options for user interaction at all. The * is the equivalent to the  [M]  in tabbed document windows and just means modified. Once appeared they both remain even if you go fully back in the history panel.

3 hours ago, Malinsson said:

(I know you can close by hitting cmd + W. But is there a more practical way?)

What specifically do you mean by "practical"? Are you maybe asking about quitting the app rather than closing its (last or only) document window?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What specifically do you mean by "practical"? Are you maybe asking about quitting the app rather than closing its (last or only) document window?

More simple, smoother, faster.
Closing one image, not the entire program.

4 minutes ago, Malinsson said:

On a Mac, there is nothing faster or simpler than using either the File > Close menu item or its keyboard shortcut.

You could also click on the close button in the 'traffic light' window control group that every Mac app includes in its document window, but if you are not in Separated window mode, this will hide everything attached to that window, including the main toolbar, docked Studio panels, etc. That can be confusing so I do not recommend making a habit of doing that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Nothing is simpler, smoother and faster than a keyboard shortcut. It's as fast as you can get calling a specific application function, on any platform. Also, Cmd+W does close one image and not the entire program.

CMD-W is the most practical way. You can also mouse File>Close, or use close box in the tab, which I assume no one has mentioned yet. It is hidden by default but when you mouse over it it becomes visible: 

Screenshot 44.png

If you can think of a faster way than ⌘+W I'd love to here it but, it is dangerously close to the quit option ⌘+Q which would close an app down. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

...but, it is dangerously close to the quit option ⌘+Q which would close an app down. 

But the app would ask if it really shall be closed down, if there is unsaved data. Could of course cause annoying moments anyway, but I think it is reasonable. And unfortunately you can't have everything. At least there is the opportunity to close the image from the file menu. So this shouldn't really be a bigger problem.

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

or use close box in the tab, which I assume no one has mentioned yet.

The OP mentioned it, but stated that it is not available when there is only a single document open.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

The only other option I can think of is to request a "Tab always on" setting in Preferences.

This is the link to the request section of the forum: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-suggestions/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

17 hours ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

Nothing is simpler, smoother and faster than a keyboard shortcut. It's as fast as you can get calling a specific application function, on any platform. Also, Cmd+W does close one image and not the entire program.

I prefer to only use the mouse.

8 minutes ago, Malinsson said:

File > Close.

-- Walt
PC:

Sometimes the discussion about an issue causes much more work than you could possibly spare if what you are longing for would work. But anyway, in this case it might possibly be a bug that there is no "X" in the MAC version to close single images, like there is on Windows. So why don't you report it as a bug or as a "Feature Request & Suggestion"? I don't think that we will find another solution at this place.

Just work in Separated mode. Then each single document window offers the red macOS close button. With the additional option to merge several documents in only 1 window.

1 hour ago, iconoclast said:

in this case it might possibly be a bug that there is no "X" in the MAC version to close single images, like there is on Windows.

Rather not a bug. In macOS the close option appears only for windows with a bar which includes the typical "traffic light" buttons in its upper left corner, red is the close button. In case of Affinity they appear as part of the toolbar, if you hide the toolbar also the buttons aren't displayed. So it would rather be a feature request, in the sake to get an according parent frame for the entire UI, containing all bars, panels, windows once they get docked.

It's up to Affinity to handle the main frame in a different way, in both modes, separated or not-separated. – Compare the screenshots in this + the next post.

10 hours ago, Fixx said:

You can also mouse File>Close, or use close box in the tab ...

As has been mentioned, there is no tab unless more than one document is open in the window. That is a reasonable design decision because a tab for a single document would waste a lot of screen space. It is also consistent with how the tab close buttons work in several other Mac apps, most notably Safari -- there is no hidden X unless the window has more than one tab.

Affinity Photo