You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the forums.
Nice work.
A little bit too much noise for my personal preferences – it distracts a bit from the design and makes some of the text less legible – but I like the underlying image.
You might like to look at these for some further inspiration:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/
https://www.deviantart.com/techgnotic/journal/The-Golden-Age-Of-Travel-Posters-519734521

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, jane33 said:

I've been looking at a bunch of these and trying to make my own. How do you get that sort of flat effect on the colors? I guess it's from how silk screening was done? I can't figure out what filters to use. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Jane. :)

Can you explain what you mean by “that sort of flat effect”? It looks to me as though all the colours are solid (with transparency for the propellers) apart from the gradient red/pink sky.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Note: This thread comes from BaukeRC’s first and only post in the forums, around 3 years ago, so I don’t know if they will give an answer.

As far as I know, as Alfred suggests above, the colours are just nicely-chosen solid colours.
What part of such an illustration are you trying to achieve and what have you tried so far?

If you can give us a visual example of what you have then we can probably set you on the right course of action.

Looking closely I think maybe a halftone filter was used, or, possibly, a texture applied, to give it a "printed" look.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Thanks - I didn't expect them to reply in particular but was hoping someone else would, which y'all have 🙂 

I think what I'm looking for is how you get the silk screen effect. I don't expect a full tutorial from anyone - I'm just not sure what kind of things to be considering that I haven't already. 

I know about posterize, noise, and blur but I can't quite find the magic combo. Just saw the comment about half tone and I had tried that also but it wasn't quite right. I'll have to mess around a bit more and see how it looks printed. 

For now, I've been making a very simple flower market poster as I've seen this same affect on this kind of thing all over pinterest that makes them look screen printed. Mine is too bright and crisp I think? I've done posterize, noise, half tone, and vignette but it still looks like the red flower pops too much. And I just don't really see any difference between the original version and the one with a bunch of filters. Maybe I've been looking at too much and it just all looks the same to me. 

I'd like to try a travel poster in the future if I can figure this out. I love the style! 

These examples are original not repros. 

image.png.762ab71788ee160f2cc4b7c94878116b.png\

Here is an example of a modern flower market poster that has the flat muted effect that looks like screen printing. 

image.png.5331cdde5bfb7d221848aad729056d0a.png

And this is mine. One has a bunch of filters, the other doesn't , but I don't really see the difference. 

image.png.6618d86ee1d86c5d7d264327f1020af2.png

Thanks for the extra information.

I think I understand more about what you want to achieve now.

For the colours I think you might be able to use a Vibrance Adjustment to ‘wash out’ some of the colours.

As for the screen printing effect, I don’t really have an answer at the moment; it’s not something I’ve tried to achieve myself.

I think it might be difficult to achieve without ‘painting’ the image similarly to how they did it in the originals, rather than trying to convert one illustration style into another.

However, I feel sure that someone else in the forums will have some ideas.

Hi
You could have a play around with some of these options!
Colour
Apply colour overlay effects to the flower and de-saturate the colour + adjust the Opacity
Apply a Re-colour adjustment and reduce the level of saturation
Re-paint the plant itself with a newly sampled colour (Separate with selection or Protect alpha)
Texture
Adding noise to get the screen print effect would be a bit too fine
There are a couple of things you could try:
A. Add a texture overlay with file particles (Vector best) and set the opacity  to low level (10-25%) Adjust colour for effect
B.  Add an overlay rectangle and apply the new feature: new Asset to Fill or Image to Fill options with scaling. Set Transparency low and adjust colours. Use Bitmap | Wrap and scaled to fit shape
Scale using using adjustment layers (Grunge up with overlay mask)
C. Apply a vector pattern overlay to whole image or Masked sections of the image
D. Mix the lot!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 0.2463 (RC1)
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Something else to consider for silk screen effect is understanding how screen printing works, and looking closely at some common effects that occur naturally in the process.

• Since screen printing is often done using limited colours (1, 2, or 3-4), I would suggest a reduced but well chosen palette as a starting point for your design. 
  • Registration overlap of the colours is also a characteristic of screen printing. So you have areas where two or more colours slightly overlap at their edges creating a "Multiply Effect". Sometimes this is intentional, and when done correctly can be an effective way of mixing a colour for extra colours.
  • Sometimes the ink doesn't apply completely which can be caused by a number of factors but can create some textured effects where the white of the paper shows through (think of a subtle grunge effect of white).

Not sure if this helps but the above effects can be achieved with layer blending modes (multiply, etc) or using a grunge texture overlay and again using layer blend modes (screen, opacity etc.)

What I would like to know is the Fonts name. I now there are a few Art Deco out there but… ehhh… it’s for a school work…

Best regards!