Affinity Designer file is corrupted suddenly

Oh my. I'm working on a project, working and saving to an external drive. 

As I work I save everything to a Samsung T7 drive connected to my Mac M1. All of my files rest there.

So far I've had no trouble opening files. Nothing corrupted. But am I taking a risk?

I'd appreciate any opinion on this.

38 minutes ago, ronald618 said:

So far I've had no trouble opening files. Nothing corrupted. But am I taking a risk?

Yes, there is a risk, at least if you are opening your files directly from the external to work on them, instead of copying them to the internal to work on them, & then after you have saved & closed them, copying them back to the external (& deleting the copy on the internal if you want).

Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.5.280 & Affinity Designer 1.10.5 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.0.2

Thank you R C-R

I work on my files directly from the hard drive. As I do with every other program.

My advice to Serif: quit with the slick advertising and adding new features that few people need.

Fix the bugs and quirky performance issues first..

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Rooy AD said:

@carl123hi bro, i've problem again. my file is corrupted. can you help me
thank you so much

Zakat.afdesign 79.85 MB · 2 downloads

"Recovered" document is attached below

Problem was with the very bottom layer where you had a white rectangle and you had clipped an image called "Ricardo-gomez-angel...." inside it.

Deleting that rectangle (and thus the image) resolved the problem - you just need to add that image back.

Note: Your document is very large for a one page design (66MB in attached file). You have a 57MB image off the canvas not being used. I would suggest you delete that image if not needed and do a File > Save as... to bring the file size down to a more representative/manageable size

PS Not all corrupt Affinity documents are recoverable, strongly suggest you backup to different file names as your work progresses

zakat-recovered.afdesign

R.I.P

49 minutes ago, carl123 said:

PS Not all corrupt Affinity documents are recoverable, strongly suggest you backup to different file names as your work progresses

I suggested Serif's automatic indexing of the previous/backup file name. Maybe they implement it sometimes.

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.10.5.1342.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.1586.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

So we find ourselves back in 1995 and the old mantra has come back into fashion: save early and save often. This really is unacceptable in this day and age.

There is no reason why the Affinity apps could not automatically do a 'save as' every few minutes and make continuous backups, rather than relying on users to do the same. Presumably there is some process of testing if the file is damaged or not (not just at file/open time). That method should be built into the autosave mechanism. If a backup file is reporting that it is damaged, an immediate warning should be given to the user so that he/she can revert to the last known good backup. At least the user would be notified rather than find out 'the hard way' when he/she next goes to open up a damaged file.

Hi, this is the second week in a row that i get a corrupted file of affinity designer. I'm a professional and that is taking my time because i'm in need of making presentations twice. My old files are getting corrupted too and i don't know why. If i need to access them in the future to make som edits i wont be able. Thats too bad. The old ones are stored in a External Hdd but the last ones aren't and they are corrupted.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, emmanaty said:

Hi  @carl123, Can you help me with this file? It's also corrupted.

Thank you ;D!

MapaResultados.afphoto 92.56 MB · 0 downloads

I have no idea what the document is supposed to look like (is it a texture?) so I can't say for sure if everything has been recovered

But you will be able to open the attached

PS I'm out for the rest of the day so if not fully recovered, start a new thread, attach the document and one of the support staff should see it

MapaResultados-recovered2.afphoto

R.I.P

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Swano!

21 minutes ago, Swano said:

Can you try to help me please ?

I was able to place the AD file in APu, edited in AD and saved as .afdesign file. Beta AD 1.9.4.1085 crashed at once opening the document. I don't know if it is a problem that there were two Artboards named Page 3.

HTH

repaired.afdesign

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Swano!

I was able to place the AD file in APu, edited in AD and saved as .afdesign file. Beta AD 1.9.4.1085 crashed at once opening the document. I don't know if it is a problem that there were two Artboards named Page 3.

HTH

repaired.afdesign 12.02 MB · 0 downloads

Tanks a lot Joachim ! 
You help me a lot !

Have a nice day

Hi,

I have the same problem, it says "corrupted" can you fix it?

I am using Windows 10, Affinity Photo (1.9.2)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ACJLx-TxRUX2E2atjaur9WA_YAS28UjC?usp=sharing

also please reupload the fixed file using the same link, I already gave permission, for you to access it and to upload in it.

Edited by cxazet

18 hours ago, cxazet said:

Hi,

I have the same problem, it says "corrupted" can you fix it?

I am using Windows 10, Affinity Photo (1.9.2)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ACJLx-TxRUX2E2atjaur9WA_YAS28UjC?usp=sharing

also please reupload the fixed file using the same link, I already gave permission, for you to access it and to upload in it.

Edited 18 hours ago by cxazet

@cxazet

Your document has been fixed but I can't ulpoad it to your Google drive

Do you want me to upload it to the forum?

R.I.P

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

@cxazet

Your document has been fixed but I can't ulpoad it to your Google drive

Do you want me to upload it to the forum?

@carl123

No, don't upload into the forum. Can you use a WeTransfer link? So the link will be expired in few days.

Edited by cxazet

1 hour ago, LoraA said:

I also have an issue with a corrupted file - is there anyway to fix this. A file was sent to me from a collegue and i can't open the file. 

You can upload the file to the forum to see if someone can fix it or if it is private, create a new thread and ask (in your post) one of the moderators for a private dropbox link

R.I.P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same problem, it says "corrupted". can you help me, please?

I am using Windows 10, Affinity Publisher (1.9.2)

I saves the files in the local disk

my corrupted file is not attached to the post

• 2 weeks later...