You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer file is corrupted suddenly

Hey, I was working on this earlier, and it was fine. Tried opening it up just now, and it said this. I tried opening all my other affinity photo projects, they all work. but for some reason, this one got corrupted. After reading thru this forum, i now know its most likely because i saved it on an external HDD. I didint know about the local thing. I do now, and have moved them all. Ill be saving on to local from now on. But is there anyway this can be repaired? Its pretty important. Idk why this one, of all my projects, got corrupted. The one I actually need lol, of course.
Also, when I went to add the affinity photo file in this reply, it wouldnt let me. I screenshotted what it said and attached it to this as well. 

347648112_affinityfilecorrupt.jpg.9d5b5531da79bee26db370a048883b1b.jpg

cant upload my file.PNG

2 hours ago, mataio said:

But is there anyway this can be repaired?

Create a Dropbox or WeTransfer link to the file, we can't determine anything without it.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, dudu said:

... It got me twice in a day!!?? ... please if any idea how to solve this!

Store working file to local disc.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I save to my laptop drive but I've still finding the files are corrupt when I go back to them.  I now save a 2nd time to a USB and haven't found any corrupt (yet) on there.  I'm even finding bits of assets files are corrupt, items within a file (scrapbook kits) which are corrupt.  No photos or documents are corrupt- just my design files.  Already replaced the SSD once and loathed to replace laptop in case the problem is coming from Affinity. 

@dudu when I posted the problem I was having the reply was to make sure I back up my work regularly!  Not very helpful.  I now do full backups regularly but in order to save my designs I also save my work twice - once to local drive and once to USB.  I'm hoping some solution is found soon.  

I'm planning on buying an ipad soon so may discover whether the problem is with affinity or my laptop. 😳😳. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, dudu said:

What you mean store?

If you look at the forum, the most common case of damaged files arises when working on external disks - that is, when working files are opened and saved to an external disk, because the connection to the external disk can show errors and connection losses, which then lead to file corruption. To solve the problems, it is enough to transfer your working files from external USB drives, NAS, etc., to a local drive.
If you are working from a local disk, I would check its quality.
Making backups to external media is a matter of course, and it has nothing to do with the problem of file corruption (that is, as long as you back up the correct / functional files, and not the damaged ones with which you overwrite the functional backups).

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

@Pšenda thank you for this information.  I hadn't picked up on the bit about saving externally being a possible problem.  I have a good laptop but my SSD corrupted.  My friend who gave me the laptop put the original SSD back in (he'd previously upgraded) but perhaps it was faulty.  I can't afford to replace like-for-like as it has a big screen so will try a new SSD.  

24 minutes ago, Canterslowly said:

but perhaps it was faulty

Of course, a faulty disk, even if it is local, could cause similar problems - the message "Access was lost" corresponds to this.

However, this can cause a problem with data access as such, so the file may not be damaged yet. Try copying it to an external disk (FLASH) and opening from it.

Edited by Pšenda

10 minutes ago, Canterslowly said:

@Pšenda - I get "this file cannot be opened as it is corrupt" or words to that effect. 

I'm sorry, I confused it with a message from @dudu. The answers of two users are intertwined 🙂

If the message says about a corrupted file, it will really be corrupted. The procedure with possible rescue of a damaged file is its use in APublisher, when some of the checks required for standard opening are probably not performed, and the content can be used at least in part.

I  have a new problem tonight.  A design I was working on has saved until a certain point, then after adding more elements to the design I had an error message when I tried to do my final save.  I've attached the bad file and screenshot.  I can still open both the original file and a copy I made but neither show a thumbnail in my file folder - only the Affiinity logo.  In my preview at the side of the file folder, the thumbnail does show.  No need to repair the file for me, I can continue with my additions and re-save (hopefully).

Screenshot 2021-12-28 211711 Image failed to save.png

Mirror image with bird.afdesign

• 2 weeks later...

@carl123 I wonder if you could take a look at the file I posted on 28th December 2021 please when you get a chance.  I did manage to recover an old version and continue with it but I'm really trying to get to the bottom of the corrupt files etc that I've had over the last year.

I work on an MSI laptop.  Last year I had loads of corrupt files and eventually the SSD had to be replaced because it failed.  When the new SSD was put in, I went through all my files and deleted corrupt files.
However, I've continued to find files that can't be opened - no photographs, no documents - only design files.  I nearly always saved my design in Affinity Designer first, then make a JPEG of it to print from.  The JPEGs were fine but the Affinity files were corrupt.  
I bought a USB a few months' ago and now save my AD file on the hard drive first, then again on the USB, then make my JPEGs and save them too.  
I'm still finding new files that are corrupted on my hard drive but they are not corrupt on the USB so I can bring them back into AD and save them again on the hard drive.
My friend who gifted the laptop to me checked it over today and thinks the hard drive is performing well.  I did a clean install of all Affinity products last night but still have a new file I can't get into from the hard drive, but it's OK on the USB.

All of the above doesn't apply to the file I loaded on 28th December and is the first time I've come across that problem.  I loaded it onto the Facebook group and a very helpful chap suggested that files I'd used in making the design had been lost after I'd saved it.  I wondered if this could be photographs that I'd clipped to shapes (textures) because I did have a shuffle round and separated my texture files depending on where they came from because I wanted to ensure I was within licensing guidelines with them all.   
I'm asking about this in case it is some other type of file that's gone missing.  My friend thought of .dll files but I felt they would be mentioned in an error message.

I have been through all my saved files, that I could get into, and taken all the texture photos out, then re-saved so that I've still got the design/shapes and can add textures next time I use the design.

I use a lot of scrapbook kits which are a collection of .png and .jpg files and am finding elements within the kits are also corrupt. The thumbnails often show half of it with the element (ie a flower) and half is black.

I also make a lot of Asset files which contain either elements that I've made myself or a collection from a scrapbook kit.  These also have corrupt elements within them.  They appear to look OK on the asset panel but when I drag them onto the canvas there's just a bounding box and nothing else.

It's very frustrating and maybe nothing that you can help with but I remain hopeful.   

PS:  I have picked up a few ideas from this thread - ie saving to a different name instead of just doing a re-save, and the way to retrieve work from a corrupt file. :) 

I've attached 3 other files that I've found recently.  

More Florals may be OK.afdesign Chickens and Flowers 2.afdesign Sakura 2 Repeat Pattern - not for resale.afdesign

@Canterslowly

The 3 files you uploaded have all being recovered and are attached

The Chickens and Flowers files was a bit strange. You uploaded a 48.71MB file but when recovered it was a massive 1.2GB.  By resaving it a few times I have managed to get it down to 732MB but it still seems massive compared to the original.  If you copy the 2 Artboards in that document to a new file it will reduce a lot more (down to 176MB) but I uploaded the 732MB file just in case Affinity support want to analyse it to see what it contains that makes it so big now.

11 hours ago, Canterslowly said:

@carl123 I wonder if you could take a look at the file I posted on 28th December 2021 please when you get a chance.  I did manage to recover an old version and continue with it but I'm really trying to get to the bottom of the corrupt files etc that I've had over the last year.

It opens and saves fine for me, so not sure why it would not save for you

As regards why you are getting so many corruptions I don't know. I notice that you use symbols a lot which I don't, so I can't say how reliable that part of the software is, maybe others can comment on that or Affinity support may be able to delve deeper with you into the issues you are having.  

EDIT: On submitting this post the forum software appears to have renamed the Chicken and Flowers file (adding some numbers at the front) it was not me so you can just ignore that mysterious filename - the file still downloads OK

More Florals may be OK-recovered.afdesign Sakura 2 Repeat Pattern - recovered.afdesign 493743013_ChickensandFlowers2-recovered.afdesign

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 thank you for looking into these so quickly.  I will download them later today and look into why the chickens one might be so large.  Sometimes I will put 3 artboards in one file to try the repeat patterns on - one with the original, one with 4 copies of the original to see if the patterns match plus one with original elements which I use to built the pattern in the first place.  I never check file size but having had comments about massive files on the facebook group and thought it wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps I could use the rasterise feature more often? I believe that reduces file sizes.  

How would I attract the attention of Affinity support please?  

Thank you once again. 

Just now, Canterslowly said:

How would I attract the attention of Affinity support please?  

First you need to find a unicorn egg then smash it with Thor's hammer and burn the pulverised eggs shells in the fires of Hades, the resulting incense will attract them.

Alternatively, you could just wait to see if/when they see this thread. But bear in mind they have a lot of threads to catch up on after the holidays, so the unicorn egg route would be the quickest option.

32 minutes ago, OPCCdesigner said:

i need to amend the attached file

@OPCCdesigner

No file was attached

• 1 month later...

After many, many problems with corrupt files, and seeking advice on this forum and the facebook Affinity Designer group, I hope I've solved the problem by removing all saved files from my laptop and putting them onto a 4tb external drive.  I didn't know that file size/amount slowed down performance and that this may lead to background saving being compromised.  I was alerted to this when @carl123 mentioned how big my files were.  

• 2 weeks later...