You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer file is corrupted suddenly

Could someone please help me recover this file. I get the message that the file is corrupted. I was working on it on my external drive and wasn't aware of the Affinity issue with external drives. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

I'm using Windows 10 with Affinity Publisher version 1.10

Camp Meeting Program(South Church).afpub

Edited by ic90
Added information

46 minutes ago, ic90 said:

Could someone please help me recover this file

Recovered document is attached

Problem was two separate image layers on page one that were cropped/clipped with rectangles

These were unticked in Layers panel so not being used - so I just deleted them

I don't have your fonts or linked images but document looks OK

Remember to do backups, not all documents are recoverable

Camp Meeting- recovered.afpub

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Recovered document is attached

Problem was two separate image layers on page one that were cropped/clipped with rectangles

These were unticked in Layers panel so not being used - so I just deleted them

I don't have your fonts or linked images but document looks OK

Remember to do backups, not all documents are recoverable

Camp Meeting- recovered.afpub

Thanks @carl123. Do you have a list of steps for a regular user like me to do the recovery in case of a future problem like this?

Just now, ic90 said:

Thanks @carl123. Do you have a list of steps for a regular user like me to do the recovery in case of a future problem like this?

Corrupt documents vary

But in this case, it was relatively easy, just start a new publisher document and add the pages from your corrupt one.

Once loaded you just need to find the page that causes the file to crash then find the object(s) on that page that are the cause

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

16 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Corrupt documents vary

But in this case, it was relatively easy, just start a new publisher document and add the pages from your corrupt one.

Once loaded you just need to find the page that causes the file to crash then find the object(s) on that page that are the cause

How do I get the pages to add as the corrupt file gives me a prompt asking me to close the file immediately after opening? Do I need to open the corrupt file differently?  I also have an issue where I have question marks surrounded by rectangles appearing at the ends of lines. I turned off special characters but those still appear and when I backspace. More question marks are added.

5 minutes ago, ic90 said:

How do I get the pages to add as the corrupt file gives me a prompt asking me to close the file immediately after opening? Do I need to open the corrupt file differently? 

Create a new one page document then use Document > Add Pages From File and select the corrupt document

5 minutes ago, ic90 said:

I also have an issue where I have question marks surrounded by rectangles appearing at the ends of lines.

Can you identify a page and a paragraph where that happens?

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Create a new one page document then use Document > Add Pages From File and select the corrupt document

Can you identify a page and a paragraph where that happens?

Awesome! I will try that.

On Page 4 after copying the text starting with "Message from...", I tried replacing it with some other text but then faced the issue I described above. I resolved it by Pasting Special with Unicode Text. You could however have a look and check if you can reproduce the issue.

16 minutes ago, ic90 said:

On Page 4 after copying the text starting with "Message from...", I tried replacing it with some other text but then faced the issue I described above.

I can't recreate this so it may be font related as I don't have the font you use there.

If the problem persists just create a new thread and upload a sample page so someone can have a more detailed look into it.

14 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I can't recreate this so it may be font related as I don't have the font you use there.

If the problem persists just create a new thread and upload a sample page so someone can have a more detailed look into it.

No problem. Thanks for your help!

53 minutes ago, ic90 said:

I also have an issue where I have question marks surrounded by rectangles appearing at the ends of lines.

This character is displayed when the font does not support the character which was entered.

Will take a look at the doc later; on my phone at the moment.

I too have a "The file appears to be corrupted" message appearing. File was saving and encountered a lack of disk space issue on my local drive. I removed the necessary space on my drive to save the file and upon opening again encountered the Error. Working on OS 10.14.6 and am currently on Affinity Publisher 1.10.0 but the file was created/saved in the pervious Publisher version but had automatic updates enabled and the app updated the following day to current version. Are you still able to assist in the recovery of files like this or provide instructions on how I can attempt myself? Have DEV background but wanted to reach out before mucking around in the file and making things worse. Thank You for all your assistance. 

5 hours ago, ic90 said:

I also have an issue where I have question marks surrounded by rectangles appearing at the ends of lines. I turned off special characters but those still appear and when I backspace. More question marks are added.

I am not seeing this issue in the recovered doc. See PDF attached below.
Not sure if I have the same versions of the fonts installed that you have.
Do you still have this issue?

Camp Meeting- recovered.pdf

45 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

I am not seeing this issue in the recovered doc. See PDF attached below.
Not sure if I have the same versions of the fonts installed that you have.
Do you still have this issue?

Camp Meeting- recovered.pdf 1.97 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for checking this out @LibreTraining. I created other text frames as a work around to get around the issue. I'm not sure about the versions you have. I got the fonts from Google Fonts. Bitter and Work Sans. Both should be free.

7 hours ago, ic90 said:

Thanks for checking this out @LibreTraining. I created other text frames as a work around to get around the issue. I'm not sure about the versions you have. I got the fonts from Google Fonts. Bitter and Work Sans. Both should be free.

You have a few other fonts in there - one is in the logo, but the other two I am not sure where they are used.

The odd characters may have come from the original source of the text, if you did not type it directly. How was the text entered?

13 hours ago, cxazet said:

Hi it's me again, @carl123

One of my project, it says "corrupted" can you fix it?

I am using Windows 10, Affinity Photo (1.9.2)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OcgwyjhHKuDJH6fyIyQtQwFXWNvPGC77/view?usp=sharing

also please reupload or send back the fixed file at my PM like last time.

I have PM'd you the recovered file

Backup frequently, not all corrupt files are recoverable

I appear to have been struck by the gremlin as well. After hours of work on an Affinity Designer project (attached), when I went back to make a small but important change, the file appears to be corrupted. The work was all done on the internal drive on this computer, but does include a link to an Affinity Photo file.

The original file is corrupted, as are all my backups, so I feel that it was probably corrupted when I originally quit and saved.

This is on a Mac running Catalina and v1.7.1 of Affinity Designer.

If you fine folks could work your magic and make my file usable again I'd hugely appreciate it.

Many thanks – Nic

CorruptedFile.afdesign

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 2:16 PM, RB DESIGN said:

I too have a "The file appears to be corrupted" message appearing. File was saving and encountered a lack of disk space issue on my local drive. I removed the necessary space on my drive to save the file and upon opening again encountered the Error. Working on OS 10.14.6 and am currently on Affinity Publisher 1.10.0 but the file was created/saved in the pervious Publisher version but had automatic updates enabled and the app updated the following day to current version. Are you still able to assist in the recovery of files like this or provide instructions on how I can attempt myself? Have DEV background but wanted to reach out before mucking around in the file and making things worse. Thank You for all your assistance. 

Any help with determining if this file can be recovered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all your efforts.

1402882391_BrownBook3.1.afpub.zip

On 8/14/2021 at 10:22 PM, Nic McPhee said:

I appear to have been struck by the gremlin as well. After hours of work on an Affinity Designer project (attached), when I went back to make a small but important change, the file appears to be corrupted. The work was all done on the internal drive on this computer, but does include a link to an Affinity Photo file.

The original file is corrupted, as are all my backups, so I feel that it was probably corrupted when I originally quit and saved.

This is on a Mac running Catalina and v1.7.1 of Affinity Designer.

If you fine folks could work your magic and make my file usable again I'd hugely appreciate it.

Many thanks – Nic

CorruptedFile.afdesign 4.32 MB · 8 downloads

I haven't heard back and folks deadlines are looming. Looks like I'll have to redo the project, which isn't super exciting.

• 3 weeks later...

File now opens, looks OK but can't vouch for its integrity

Do backups not all files are recoverable

And someone get that guy an ashtray

stanzetta2-recovered.afphoto

@carl123

Any chance my file (a few posts up) can be fixed?

I appreciate the need for backups. Unfortunately in my case it appeared to have been corrupted when first saved, as all my backup copies are also corrupted and won't open.

Is there some "simple" magic folks are doing to try to fix these corrupt file issues? I'm happy to try to open the file up in some editor and hack around if there's a little guidance.

Thanks – Nic

@Nic McPhee

Sorry, no help on that one. Try contacting support directly to see if they can help, if the file is important

Good Day,

I too seem to have suffered the 'File Corrupted' bug today as this file I was working on up til this morning without issue suddenly won't open and is saying it's corrupted (see screenshot attached below).

The previous version I have of this file is fine, though this is the 99% complete version of the document and I am due to submit a draft to the client today. Is there any way this file can be recovered? Here are my system details -

Affinity Publisher Version: 1.100.1127

HD: Western Digital 'My Passport' external HD

Font Manager: Fontbase

Let me know if you need any further info or have any issues with the files....many thanks.

Affinity Publisher_FileCorrupted_Grab_Sep17.jpg

CPDC_ProgrammeReport_2021_Sep17_Corrupted.afpub