You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would also like to go back to 1.7.3. I had no idea that this upgrade was a beta, the update dialog mentioned nothing about that, so I downloaded and installed. I have the same for AP, but I won't be updating that until I know it's good to go.

I still have the 1.7.3 AD update file, can that be run again to restore to that version or not?

My version is running on windows 7

Update 1.8.JPG

4 minutes ago, Gort said:

I had no idea that this upgrade was a beta,

It's not a beta. It's a release version with a few problems that were not detected during the beta.

If you have your 1.7.3 installer it should work, but you should probably have Windows uninstall the 1.8 version first.

Note that after re-installing 1.7.3 you won't be able to open any Affinity files (.afdesign, .afphotos, .afpub) that were saved by 1.8. And it's possible there will be other problems if 1.8 changed the structure of any of the internal files that hold your preferenes, Assets, etc. So if you get strange results from 1.7.3 after reinstallation you may need to reset it to factory defaults by holding the Ctrl key when you start it, and resetting things. (Edit: I am not sure that such problems will occur, but I suspect they may.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt, 1.8 seemed to behave so badly, I thought it was a beta. Hmm, not good really.

I may hold off trying to downgrade as I'm guessing that I might cause far more problems than I have now and will end up with nothing to work with. Going to have to ride this out a while, she what happens before deciding on that or reverting to PS....

Things that worked in the previous version no longer work. Basic functions that frequently use.
I have a lettering in the Arial font (try it, the same problem with other fonts too) and convert it to curves.
I draw a rectangle.
Now I want to cut the characters out of the rectangle.
This version changes the cut out seriously.

I cannot work with this version

1.png

2.png

In the meantime, you could maybe use the 'erase' blend mode (applied to the letters you want to cut out with) as a workaround.

Screenshot 2020-03-01 at 10.27.19.png

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the 1.8 updates, if you purchased from the Affinity Store you can find the previous versions available to download from the link below - 

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/designer/1/

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

If you bought it through the MS store, you are free to buy it again from Serif directly to get access to a working version 1.7.x

Can you maybe at least offer a discount to those of us stuck in such a situation? I have been hovering over the 'buy' button but it's angering me that this is how things are - why after 2 1/2+ years of using this software am I now sat here with something that frankly doesn't work?

• Staff

Please contact our customer service team at affinity@serif.com to see if there's any discounts that can be offered, as unfortunately I cannot make this decision.

I'm very sorry to hear you feel this way regarding the latest update. You may wish to try the latest beta version to see if this improves things in your workflow -

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Please contact our customer service team at affinity@serif.com to see if there's any discounts that can be offered, as unfortunately I cannot make this decision.

I'm very sorry to hear you feel this way regarding the latest update. You may wish to try the latest beta version to see if this improves things in your workflow -

Thanks for the reply, I will get in touch with support.

The fixes listed on the beta don't mention any of the issues I'm having, plus it's labelled "not suitable for production use". I would argue that also applies to the MS store release versions, as there's no way to stop an update, or any way to roll back. I've supported and encouraged other people to move to Affinity, but this has really put a big dent in my enthusiasm for it.

Perhaps going forward Serif could consider delaying the store version updates until it's been proven as stable for those users who at least have the option to roll back.

I've been told I have to buy it again, but directly from Serif (not the MS store as I originally did) and use that key in an older version. So far I've been offered a 20% discount.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that is an insult? The software I paid for worked, now it doesn't - why is that costing me money?

edit - not sure why this posted here, I wrote this as a reply on this thread:

• Staff
19 minutes ago, BofG said:

So far I've been offered a 20% discount.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that is an insult?

My apologies if you feel insulted by the offer provided from our Customer Service team, I'll be replying to your email personally now.

It's not that people aren't trying to be helpful, it's the actual situation - I just want to get back to having software that works, being asked to pay again to get it is what's annoying me, especially when there are ways for most other users to roll back free of charge.

21 hours ago, BofG said:

I've been told I have to buy it again, but directly from Serif (not the MS store as I originally did) and use that key in an older version. So far I've been offered a 20% discount.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that is an insult? The software I paid for worked, now it doesn't - why is that costing me money?

edit - not sure why this posted here, I wrote this as a reply on this thread:

It is very sad that the developers only option is to buy again.But i solved this problem in their own way, though not a very acceptable way ;-)

[Edited: Removed screenshot of torrent ;-)]

Edited by Mark Ingram

17 hours ago, irgi said:

It is very sad that the developers only option is to buy again.But i solved this problem in their own way, though not a very acceptable way ;-)

[Edited: Removed screenshot of torrent ;-)]

I apologise that you're having to resort to downloading a torrent of a previous version. Obviously this isn't a situation that we want our customers to be in. We're working hard on fixes, so I encourage you to take a look at the beta forums in the coming days to try out the latest available fixes. 

The lack of ability to downgrade versions on the Microsoft and Apple stores is something that is out of our hands, and unfortunately we have no way of identifying purchases from these stores (no user data is shared with us from Microsoft or Apple) so we can't verify those purchases in order to give a free copy of the software from the Affinity Store.

16 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I think the older betas are still available, and would still continue to work.

I checked for you, from this post:

It links to:

https://affinity-beta.s3.amazonaws.com/download/affinity-designer-customer-beta.exe

..and all that gives is an XML document with 'access denied'.

Is there somewhere else we should be looking for the old beta downloads?

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

Yes I know.

The old betas were distributed using different places, the one you mentioned I think was overwritten with the newest version, some have the version in the filename and then there were dropbox links.

If there is a special need for a specific version I might be able to make it available as I have "nearly" every version that got released (Windows only), if the staff is ok with it.

But they have an expiry date in them.

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

@af-user I think it would be a real help if you could post the latest beta you have, for those like me who have faced production breaking bugs in 1.8 with no way to get back. Even if they expire, maybe they will work long enough for the fixes to be made. From what Mark posted above I don't see the staff having an issue (would be nice if the staff were the ones making this possible rather than a helpful user!).