You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to give text the 'in motion' effect. I'd like to only do the very edge of the letters. With the motion blur filter you have to rasterize firs, correct? & that would do more of the word than what I'd prefer. Anyway, didn't know if any of you have a smart way of doing it or not?

Thanks!

Of course. Forgot temporarily about that set of filters. It still doesn't totally get what I'm looking for; I was wishing for less fuzz & more sharp lines in the blur if you know what I mean. Oh well, I'll keep on fiddling with it. Thanks for your reply!

The Live Motion Blur Layer has an in-built mask so you can remove the blur from the parts of the letters you do not want it to affect (e.g. everything except the edge of the letters) by using a black brush on the "mask"

PS It still won't look that great

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

As PixelPest has mentioned above all you need to do is add the Live Motion Blur filter to the text layer then the easiest way to get what you want is to click on the Motion Blur layer and invert it (Command-I). This will invert the colour of the mask on that layer so that the effect will be completely gone and then using a soft white brush you can just paint it back in again where you want it to be.

Best wishes,

Mark

Zoom.thumb.jpg.40956d3b51989bab23347610122b430f.jpg

If the above image is nothing like what you're looking for then if you can provide an image of the type of thing you're looking to do here then that would help greatly. Most things can be achieved in Affinity Photo in one way or another. Just need to know exactly what type of effect it is that you're after though.

Best wishes,

Mark

No it really isn't what I'm looking for, but I'm unable to find a picture to show what I want to achieve. (Other than the mental picture I have) I'm wondering if I'll have to draw what I want? To describe it- It's more distinct lines streaming out behind the letters than just a simple blur almost shadow that the motion blur filter gives you. I did do the filter on the text & then copy & paste the text on top again without the blur which seemed to help some, but it still looked more like a shadow than anything.

Capture2.PNG

23 minutes ago, Chul said:

It's more distinct lines streaming out behind the letters

A Live Halftone Filter may help with that part

motionblur.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

A Live Halftone Filter may help with that part

motionblur.png

Sometimes a CONCRETE quest will also help! Its a complete leecher-generation isnt it? Am i too? Serious qeustion????

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

I'm sorry. I just thought maybe some of you who know Affinity inside & out might have a quick answer, but if you don't it's not too big a deal. I'll keep working at it. Carl123, yours looks closest to what I'd want, but I was envisioning the lines only streaming from the left side of the letters. I'm  thinking it'll take a few trials....

Thanks for your answers anyway!

12 hours ago, Chul said:

I'm sorry. I just thought maybe some of you who know Affinity inside & out might have a quick answer, but if you don't it's not too big a deal. I'll keep working at it. Carl123, yours looks closest to what I'd want, but I was envisioning the lines only streaming from the left side of the letters. I'm  thinking it'll take a few trials....

Thanks for your answers anyway!

Well without an exact description of what you're after it's very very difficult to help out here. There are a lot of us that know Affinity inside and out but without a firm knowledge of what it is that you want then we're not going to be able to give the help you're after.

If Carl123's was closest but you just want the lines coming from one side of the letters then you can just mask out the effect where you don't want it?

Hope that helps a bit.

Best wishes,

Mark

18 hours ago, Chul said:

No it really isn't what I'm looking for, but I'm unable to find a picture to show what I want to achieve. (Other than the mental picture I have)

If you can't find o sample with a search for "motion blur" you possibly can find one with "shutter speed" ?
Or you describe what kind of object moves at what speed for instance?

The look of motion blur depends on speed:

shutter-speed-strobe-motion.jpg.0a3442710727c972f364c6bebcaee8c5.jpg

19 hours ago, Chul said:

It's more distinct lines streaming out behind the letters

– Would these lines express motion by a.) getting more bright or transparent or by b.) getting thinner to their ends?
– Are they straight or curved?
– Do all have the same length?

Could you show just 1 line for us, drawn with any tool?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks Wosven! With the motion blur & the halftone plus another layer I basically get what I want. I'm still going to fine tune this once I get back to the office Monday morning, but I think I know what I need to know to get it done.

Thanks for your help everyone! I appreciate it!

Good day!

speed.PNG

For interest's sake, I decided to post the finished product, so you can see that your help wasn't in vain. :D I ended up doing each letter separately, & just copying & pasting the filter layers to each letter. I tried to set a style so I wouldn't have to copy & paste but it refused to do anything when I clicked 'create style'. I assumed it isn't possible with filters.

ps I realize it isn't Monday (it turned out to be Labor Day & no work! temporary memory loss.) ;)

speed.afdesign

• 3 years later...
On 8/30/2019 at 5:33 PM, markbowen said:

As PixelPest has mentioned above all you need to do is add the Live Motion Blur filter to the text layer then the easiest way to get what you want is to click on the Motion Blur layer and invert it (Command-I). This will invert the colour of the mask on that layer so that the effect will be completely gone and then using a soft white brush you can just paint it back in again where you want it to be.

Best wishes,

Mark

That is SUCH a great idea, thank you SO much. I used your technique on a picture of a go-kart race to make the surroundings blurry but keep the karts in focus. Awesome.