andrewsimper

Create new Layer from selected layers

The same operation that Group and Ungroup currently do, but create a layer instead.

Also it would be super handy to be able to switch a group to a layer, or vice versa with a single command.

5 hours ago, andrewsimper said:

The point is to keep it vector but allow direct selection of each sub layer.

But creating a Group allows that. What benefit do you gain by making a layer out of them, instead?

Of course, if you want them in a layer, you can get that today by adding a layer (Layer > New Layer, or click the Add Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers panel) and then moving the other layers into it. Are you simply asking for a one-step operation that does that?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Layers and groups are different, please read this:

And no, adding a "new layer" is not an option as this will place it at the top of the layers view panel. Moving it back into place, and then manually dragging the previously selected layers onto it takes a lot of time for even an moderately complex set of layers.

3 hours ago, andrewsimper said:

Layers and groups are different,

Yes, they're different, but the only substantive difference that MEB discussed in that thread is that you need an extra click the first time you want to select something that's in the group. That seems like a very minor difference, to me.

You're right that New Layer adds the layer at the top of the stack. If you suddenly decide that you'd like some objects in the middle of the stack to be in a new layer, that's inconvenient. On the other hand, if you organize as you go along, when the objects are still at the top of the stack, it's easy. Or if you're organized enough to create the Layer before you create the objects, it's also trivial. Create the Layer layer, and any objects you then create are immediately created in that Layer. When you are done creating objects for that Layer, do another Add Layer, and create the next set of objects. Etc.

Nonetheless, yes, it would be convenient to be able to create the Layer at a later time, in the same way one can create a Group, especially for those times when one wasn't organized enough from the beginning :)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, they're different, but the only substantive difference that MEB discussed in that thread is that you need an extra click the first time you want to select something that's in the group. That seems like a very minor difference, to me.

It does have more impact than it looks. In complex illustrations where you have groups nested inside other groups several levels deep in the layer stack, the double-clicking quickly becomes a chore and it's way less precise/prone to errors than layers where you can select all objects directly and still move them all as a "group" if needed selecting the respective layer from the Layers panel.

It's always also possible to use the cmd+click method to select objects directly on canvas, even if buried down inside several groups or layers.

42 minutes ago, MEB said:

In complex illustrations where you have groups nested inside other groups several levels deep in the layer stack

Maybe @fde101's suggestion of 'layer tags' would be worth a thought?

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.476)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.476)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.475)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, they're different, but the only substantive difference

What is exactly the difference? I think they behave exactly the same.

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

What is exactly the difference? I think they behave exactly the same.

I mentioned what MEB said in the post that andrewsimper referenced: With a Group to select an object in the group you need to double-click on the canvas/artboard, vs a single-click if the object is not grouped.

In the post after mine MEB expanded on that answer.

-- Walt

I would be happy with not having a specific layer creation / flatten and leaving just the cmd+g and shift+cmd+g to group and ungroup if there was another easy command to switch the item between being a group and a layer, eg alt+cmd+g