Sign in to follow this  
Thomahawk

Tables, several problems (Publisher)

Column Handling problem:
In Publisher 1.7.1 tables are very hard to handle. Resizing single columns always affects the columns next to it. This makes it insanely difficult to get to the desired end result. Very frustrating, that all following columns have always to be resized. The handling is furthermore very tense, clicking and moving the column line does not respond fluidly but with lags in response time. Please take an example from Indesign, where the other columns are not affected by a change of one of the columns.

Copy/Paste Problem 1:
Copy text of all rows in one column. Park it in a text-only editor or in a publisher textframe already shows all text without line separation. When copying it back into new rows, all text lands in one cell. 
By general standards, copying text from tables always must include line breaks for each row.

Copy/paste Problem 2:
Delete content of one row (C) and replace it with rows texts copied over from Word, I paste it without formatting into C. All content of row (D) disappears.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-25 um 14.52.55.png

3 minutes ago, Thomahawk said:

Column Handling problem:
In Publisher 1.7.1 tables are very hard to handle. Resizing single columns always affects the columns next to it. This makes it insanely difficult to get to the desired end result. Please take an example from Indesign, where the other columns are not affected by a change of one of the columns.

Hold Shift while resizing the column. But you are right, filling in values or resizing columns without changing the rest of the columns would be better. The Shift method is not a precise method.

Thanks Joachim. I did try all kind of usual key combinations, somehow it did not work before, until I knew from your post that it must. Now suddenly it does. Much better. Should be the standard setting.

Still, the copy/paste problems make working with tables in publisher very difficult. Whatever I paste in, the text in cells in the next column get deleted. And until now, the only source to get a text list from that end up in individual rows in publisher is from tables in Word. Text lists with line breaks from any other source including publisher itself end up being put all in one single cell. Big problem.

It is not even possible to copy texts from a Af Publisher table back into Excel. All columns and rows from Publisher land in one Cell in Excel.

THIS IS A MAJOR FLAW AND MAKES PUBLISHER TABLES COMPLETELY USELESS!

3 hours ago, Thomahawk said:

THIS IS A MAJOR FLAW AND MAKES PUBLISHER TABLES COMPLETELY USELESS!

A little perspective might be helpful. Your statement is so broad that in its current form it is shown to be false by the many people who have put Publisher tables to good use. Perhaps you rather mean that it is effectively useless in the limited context of needing to copy a Publisher table out to Excel. I would suppose that it would be rather rare that someone needs to move from Publisher to Excel, but surely it must happen every now in then, as everyone's needs and workflows can potentially be very different.

The problem you have raised here has to do with how Excel handles the data it receives, and of course that is out of Serif's hands. Serif, on the other hand, does have everything to do with how data is copied when a table is copied, but I am sure that the priority is that they copy the table in such a way that it can be used within Publisher itself (such as to paste it in another place or another document). Maybe they can possibly achieve their own priorities while also being able to take Excel into account, but I suppose it must be low priority at the moment.

However, that does not make "PUBLISHER TABLES COMPLETELY USELESS." If Serif were to suddenly remove tables, the forums would light up with complaints from all the people who had been using tables.

Did a quick test with copied cells from a publisher table.

– Pasted into NeoOffice spreadsheet: rows pasted into separate rows, colums were combined into first column.

– Pasted into Numbers: pasted rows and colums in separate rows and colums as desired (and expected).

It seems the receiving programs deal with copied/pasted information in a different way.

hmm strange.

Yesterday I tried every possible way how to get 3 columns with 20 rows copied out of publisher. Nothing did work, and the application I tried the most was Word. Everything ended up on one line.

Today, with the same table from yesterday, suddenly it copies just fine into Word. So there is some inconsistency involved. As long as at least this works, then my statement of USELESSNESS I would have to gladly take back. But then what worries me is: precisely then when I depend on it to work – will it?

I would say it could have been Words fault, if not the same resulted in every other app like TextEdit, Excel and even in Publisher itself when copying back. So I am really unsure now how much I can trust Publisher.

When it works, take note of what you have selected when you copied, whether a range of cells (even all of them) or the table as a single object. Here is how Word interpreted what was copied using both methods:

1349403017_ScreenShot2019-08-09at1_38_55PM.thumb.png.e0a69b76ee5e8bee8267d1732054034c.png

But it does appear that neither option will work the way you are hoping when pasting into Excel. Selecting a range of cells works great in Numbers.

Yes, as Publisher does not work standard conform even when pasting without any format, often several steps are needed. I can not copy a column from excel and paste it nonformat into publisher table columns. That gets the next column deleted. I must paste it into TextEdit nonformat first. But from there directly to publisher places all text into one single cell. Paste it from Excel to TextEdit and into Word and then into publisher is the only way this works.

Why is publisher not standard conform? Compare Indesign, where it does not matter if the text comes directly from Excel, Textedit, or whatever app, it always splits it correctly, lines into rows and tabs into columns, without affecting cells that are not selected.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, garrettm30 said:

When it works, take note of what you have selected when you copied, whether a range of cells (even all of them) or the table as a single object.

Thats the thing, Garrett. In publisher, because of the nonconformity, one needs a lot of experience with it, exactly knowing when to do what and how in order for it to work. Today for example, I could again not copy a whole table out of publisher, everywhere it ended up all in one line. I had to copy column by column. No clue why it did not work.

Again compare to work with tables in excel or indesign. Just copy paste anything anywhere. It always works without having to think about anything except if doing it with or without formatting.

Publisher tables are just not there yet. Not user friendly.

"Paste it from Excel to TextEdit and into Word and then into publisher is the only way this works."

Or you could create a text frame in Publisher, paste into that, copy that text, highlight the table or the required cells (you need to do this), and then paste. Still a hassle but perhaps less so.

Pasting directly into Publiser table does not seem to pick up tab as a delimiter - must be a bug.