You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Public Beta (1.1.2.24443)

Zoom with mouse missing in latest beta (unless you hold down a key). Option not showing up in preferences as before. Odd as this has been added to the latest update for Designer. Please give us this option again.

Thank you, this is probably the best update yet!!!

Option+Click to edit masks was actually the one single feature that prevented extensive practical use for me, and the layer isolation mode is just great, much better than the Option+Click thing in Photoshop!

Now all that's really desperately missing for me are some enhancements to the colour adjustments (clipping warnings in Levels/Curves (Option+dragging sliders in Photoshop), full RGBA levels, pickers, numeric values for gamma in Levels etc.).

The new live filters are also extremely handy. I really wish Liquify was supported, hope that will be added at some point. Displace would also be great, ideally linked to a channel so it can be painted interactively – I know brush strokes might not necessarily always appear where the mouse is and so on, but one can easily switch an effect off temporarily if things like these become an issue). But gone are the days of Stamp Down + Sharpen or High Pass layers on top of the document, needing to be redone after every minor edit below – that's huge!!!

Two new bugs I found:

• Dragging on-canvas to manipulate Gaussian Blur (didn't test other filters yet) will result in strangely oscillating values. Values under about 10 are not accessible via on-canvas dragging.
  • Under some conditions, the document view's background transparency grid seems to be replaced by a white background. I had a 50% gray layer in Soft Light mode over a few black brush strokes on transparent, and it took me some time to figure out why there suddenly was gray appearing in the background. Probably a bug related to isolation/mask editing mode.

Some really small things I just noticed while playing with the beta again just now that would save an incredible amount of time in practice:

• Having swatches for Black, White and 50% Gray, as well as preview swatches for the current Primary and Secondary Colour settings in the Fill dialog would be helpful.
  • Copying Photoshop's Shift+Backspace key combination in addition to Shift+F5 would be nice since the F-keys are mapped to OS functions on many Apple laptops by default.
  • Swatches panel: The permanent None/Black/White swatches are a great idea, but an additional 50% gray swatch would be great (50% gray it is the Overlay/Soft Light/Hard Light neutral colour and thus is needed quite frequently – in Photoshop, I actually have a custom action that loads 50% gray as the foreground colour and have assigned a keyboard shortcut to that).
  • The visibility checkboxes in the layers panel are on the right. They would make more sense positioned on the left since they would be closer to the disclosure triangles and thumbnails, hence reducing unnecessary mouse miles moving back and forth. It sounds like a small and ridiculously nitpicky thing, but these things just add up when working in a program all day. Photoshop also allows dragging over the eyeballs to show/hide multiple layers, which is faster than shift-click selecting and clicking one of the checkboxes, though the new layer isolation mode makes this a lot less problematic. Colour coding layers is also an organization feature I usually use extensively.
  • I couldn't figure out how to apply Curves or other adjustments to a mask, either I am missing something obvious, or it's just not implemented yet
  • The "Layer > Rasterize…" menu command has an ellipsis in the name, but shows no UI when clicked (no dialogue box or similar).
  • The Dodge Brush icon actually looks very similar to a magnifying glass (zoom tool), which might confuse some users. Also, naming the tools in this group something like "Darken Brush", "Lighten Brush", and "Saturation Brush" might make more sense, as these Photoshop-style names are relics of the darkroom era and not familiar even to many photographers these days.
  • There apparently is no Divide blend mode
  • I think I mentioned this somewhere else before already, but in case I didn't: Curves and Channel Mixer use a popup for channel selection. This requires an unnecessary additional click every time (just like it unfortunately does in Photoshop) compared to individual buttons. Also, access to the Alpha channel in these adjustments would be very helpful.
  • The new Colour Chords are great, but it would be nice if the menu actually showed a preview of the resulting swatches next to the label inside the corresponding menu item. The current implementation requires some guesswork on the user's part as to what the results will be.
  • Especially with the new Chords option, the ability to select and move/duplicate/drag to different document/delete/copy/paste/group multiple swatches at once would be useful
  • The Brushes panel and many others that scroll don't show scrollbars by default when a touchpad is active in the system. That means they cannot be scrolled with a Wacom pen unless the user briefly touches the touchpad first to make the scrollbars appear. I think there is a setting in System Preferences to always show scrollbars, but it would be nice if all panels in AP simply showed scrollbars by default if a tablet is detected (like the layers panel does). An alternative would be if it allowed grabbing the list with the pen and dragging the contents like lists on iOS touch screen devices.
  • It would be nice if the options bar for brush-based tools had a quick access button that shows the Brushes panel, just like the "More" button shows the brush editor, or a popup that shows the contents of that panel, like the Gradient tool does with swatches.
  • A "Hide Selection" type option would be very nice
  • Modifier keys for the Marquee tool to access the add/subtract modes etc. would be useful. Right now, it is also not possible to subtract from a selection when the second shape (the one to be added/subtracted from the first) starts inside the area of the first selection since the software will automatically switch to a move mode when moving over pixels that are already selected.
  • The Elliptical Marquee tool should have Antialiasing turned on by default 
  • It would be useful if the Transform, Mesh Warp and Perspective tools had a switch that switches between transforming the actual layer and transforming the selection (similar to Photoshop's "Transform Selection" command). Right now, one workaround is to enter QuickMask mode, but that obviously does not work when the user is already inside Quick Mask mode.
  • The colour used for Quick Mask seems like is not currently customizable, which can be an issue (hard to see) depending on the colours used in the document
  • The crop tool does not seem to currently snap to document boundaries

Sorry for the incredibly lengthy post with so much random stuff, hope this is still useable feedback for you! 

Thanks again for another amazing update, the software is really coming along nicely!

Peter Werner:

• > The colour used for Quick Mask seems like is not currently customizable, which can be an issue (hard to see) depending on the colours used in the document

There are some adjustments you can make by using the pulldown part of the Toggle Mask icon at the top of the screen. While it is true that there is no color customization (which would be nice) you can change the non-selected area to black, white or transparent as well as the default value and I have found that to be helpful when checking a mask, especially if the red default color is a poor selection for that particular image and mask.

Peter Werner:

• > The colour used for Quick Mask seems like is not currently customizable, which can be an issue (hard to see) depending on the colours used in the document

There are some adjustments you can make by using the pulldown part of the Toggle Mask icon at the top of the screen. While it is true that there is no color customization (which would be nice) you can change the non-selected area to black, white or transparent as well as the default value and I have found that to be helpful when checking a mask, especially if the red default color is a poor selection for that particular image and mask.

I know, and you could also paint with a colour of your choice on a new layer above and then Cmd+Click the layer thumbnail to load the alpha as a selection when you are done. But the point is that these are all workarounds.

I'm sure all these things will be resolved in due time, though. The guys at Affinity are doing a lot more than just catching up with 25 years worth of development done at one of the biggest software companies in the world, and they are doing it at an amazing pace.

I have a problem?  I signed up and downloaded the available beta some weeks ago. But because of illness in the family, I never had a chance to try it out. Now when I finally had the time to look, the beta had expired, and there was no way to download the latest beta.

So my question is, how do I get the latest BETA?

• 3 weeks later...

@nicbar

Welcome to the AP Beta forum!   You have posted in a thread for an out-dated version of the beta - we are currently on .24974 which has a lot of updates.

Also, an improved RAW engine is one of the areas listed in the "Remaining development time" thread.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.