You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Beta New Version .231 'Develop' does not work Properly

Sorry Squeezer I cannot agree, to release a programme with Histogram problems, then a Beta upgrade that appears to have fixed Histogram but with a RAW conversion problem to people like me, getting on in years, not computer literate like many of you also receiving my copy of the Affinity workbook this week, I find it very frustrating, can I expect to wait another 12 months or more for a fix. Please, Affinity, make the program workable so I can at least start using Workbook.  Andy.

11 hours ago, AndrewW said:

Please, Affinity, make the program workable so I can at least start using Workbook.

The 1.6 version of Photo should work fine with the workbook.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

Andy,

I went on line, and just downloaded 1.6 without removing the beta, I now have both!

As to your other comment about knocking on in years, so am I, my computer skills are, well, questioned by my kids. Next time I play with beta versions I shall at least understand what I am getting into. I do wish a rough timescale was available

Dave

33 minutes ago, Rusty Arrow said:

Update 240 still has same problem- was there a fix in this release does any one know?

The Fixes list doesn't seem to show a fix for this problem, so I'd say no, there wasn't.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Just now, walt.farrell said:

The Fixes list doesn't seem to show a fix for this problem, so I'd say no, there wasn't.

I also read that but found it odd it was not fixed at this time, everything worked well before the last release, hey hoe have to wait until the next release I guess. It is not as much a problem but annoying .   

Just FYI, in the next beta build there will be a fix for the wrong colour profile being assigned when developing. 

And to re-iterate what people have already said - a beta is for helping us to test the software, you're experiencing the software as we develop it, bugs and all. There is a disclaimer at the top of each forum post that contains a new beta, describing this, and telling you not to use it for production purposes. If this isn't for you, then the official retail releases will be more suitable (i.e. 1.6).

Fixed in Beta 243

Affinity Photo 2.3..; Affinity Designer 2.3..; Affinity Publisher 2.3..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Mark,

Your comments about disclaimers is just hiding behind jargon, how many of us amateur photographers think of what we do as 'production'? I certainly had no inkling what what was meant, nor what what was implied by the the term beta. but put all that aside, this colour profile issue affects 100% of all the users using affinity to work up raw images. the other items fixed may affect a small percentage of users, so why was this develop person issue not prioritised?

Dave

1 hour ago, squeezer said:

Mark,

Your comments about disclaimers is just hiding behind jargon, how many of us amateur photographers think of what we do as 'production'? I certainly had no inkling what what was meant, nor what what was implied by the the term beta. but put all that aside, this colour profile issue affects 100% of all the users using affinity to work up raw images. the other items fixed may affect a small percentage of users, so why was this develop person issue not prioritised?

Dave

Dave, it isn't my fault that you don't understand what beta or production means. If you stuck with the 1.6 version, it prompts you to update to official retail releases only. You manually installed the beta version from the forum, whether you understood what it was or not. I have fixed the problem in build 243, so if you wish to remain testing the beta version, upgrade to that, if not, I suggest you uninstall it and stick with the retail versions (currently 1.6).

For reference, here's the full disclaimer at the top of every single beta release page:

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

The disclaimer is not to be taken lightly.

Mark,

how many of us amateur photographers think of what we do as 'production'?

Dave

How would he or anyone know that? I think it would require some poling to even estimate that.

certainly had no inkling what what was meant, nor what what was implied by the the term beta

So why would anyone have knowledge of what you do or do not know or understand? Why should they? This is common practice for Beta testing, for the company to post disclaimers, warning, letting those who choose to download, install, and participate in Beta testing. I don't think it's up to Serif, Adobe, Corel, or any others to ensure you're level of understanding. If you were ignorant to these things, why in the world would you proceed? It's possible a Beta Release could totally screw up your entire system. I just completed a Private, by Invitation ONLY, Beta Testing for Corel's newly released version of VideoStudio. The last beta release even affected earlier stable versions. We (all beta testers), didn't like it, but we understand it could happen. It's brought to the attention of developers and hopefully corrected. I suggest you educate yourself a little more before you go willy-nilly downloading apps. It's going to cause you some serious headaches.

so why was this develop person issue not prioritised?

What??? Really?? I know @Mark Ingram probably does not need anyone backing him up, but I'm going to. Is it really for you to determine, or think that the way this was handled not correct? I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the forum this morning to see that only 4 mins earlier he had posted this next beta version, fixing two things. Yesterday was when the problem with the Tone Mapping was discovered and was a major, major problem since it was grabbing and not releasing memory. Maybe that is what caused him to make an immediate fix available.

The Develop issue didn't cause systems to freeze, and crash, and really hasn't been an issue very long at all. If fact I didn't experience it until the 240 Beta.  I might not have experienced if I was going through my normal workflow, passing developed RAW images from Lightroom.

Affinity Photo 2.3..; Affinity Designer 2.3..; Affinity Publisher 2.3..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Ron,

Perhaps you ought to review this thread, my comment was in reaction to someone else talking about how I should of known about what beta is and what is meant by 'production'. People brought up in the software industry or are young enough to have been taught software jargon at school would immediately have understood. The Seriff assumption is that everyone has these advantages. To non software tech people, or people from different environments or educations the jargon is not obvious. Perhaps a more generic phrase my have helped?  'for community testing and comment, may have bugs, do not use for important work' 

Either way I understand now. I don't think the situation was handled incorrectly, I have had to learn, presumably there are a lot of others like me out there. There was miss communication based upon the use of jargon which I did not interpret the way it was intended, I had no reason to question what was going off, I skimmed over the disclaimer and it rang no alarm bells to me. I wiped out 1.6 because I thought I had to so I had no workable Affinity Photo. My system did not crash, look at my first posts, 'Develop is not working properly'. the flag of a problem, I got a work around which I found irritating as 1.6 did not have the problem. Then everyone seemed to start scoring points. I went back to 1.6. Another beta release came out with a long list of fixes, but not addressing what to me was a fundamental issue, frustration. I have now found that yet another beta has been released today fixing my bugbear, excellent! I shall revert to 1.7 but with eyes wide open. 

Perhaps a more generic phrase my have helped?  'for community testing and comment, may have bugs, do not use for important work' 

What they said was pretty generic, in my opinion. Quote:  This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

-- Walt
PC: