thomasbricker

Batch processing in Affinity Photo?

Assuming you're not talking about a folder of RAW images:

1. File > New Batch Job...
  2. Select the files to process
  3. Select the output location
  4. Select your desired output formats, and for each, specify the dimenension(s) you want and whether to preserve aspect ratio
  5. Select some macros if you feel like it
  6. Click OK.

On the other hand, if you are talking about a folder of RAW images: Currently, if you use Affinity Photo Batch processing to convert RAW images to another format, only a subset of the usual Develop Persona processing is applied, and you may not like the results you'll get. You might need to experiment, and possibly do some additional macro processing to adjust the results to your satisfaction.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

The easiest way to reduce images, is to divide the resolution by 2 or 4.

w/2 or w/4

This will work correctly even if the image set has a various aspect ratio.

devide.png

6 hours ago, rudy serna said:

1126868586_ScreenShot2019-09-13at8_07_49PM.png.ff031c5ef366c6b760e9939c92d94f07.png

unable o initiate batch processing - OK button is grayed out

Strange... i have no idea why that is happening. Works fine here.

That said, Serif should definitely improve the batch processing. For example, i sorely miss a option to save the processed files with a file name extension like "IMG_3367_processed". That way, you could save into the same folder, without overwriting the existing files. I can also imagine that some generic auto corrections like sharpening, auto colour, or auto contrast could be added. Even Photoshop Elements has that.

7 hours ago, rudy serna said:

unable o initiate batch processing - OK button is grayed out

Have you tried pushing the Authorize button?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

7 hours ago, chakko007 said:

I can also imagine that some generic auto corrections like sharpening, auto colour, or auto contrast could be added.

You can do that (& more) by applying macros you have created to the batch job.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Right, but, why not just implement those as factory defaults, instead of making the user do the job? My point was about comfort, as that's what makes a software... well... more comfortable.

Apart from that, i really don't see where APhoto should have some auto corrections like PS Elements has. Maybe i just don't know where to look.

30 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

Apart from that, i really don't see where APhoto should have some auto corrections like PS Elements has. Maybe i just don't know where to look. 

The main Toolbar at the top of the screen has 4 icons/buttons for

Auto Levels
Auto Contrast
Auto Colours
Auto White Balance

You can record one or more of them in a macro and replay them in a batch job as required.

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

55 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

Right, but, why not just implement those as factory defaults, instead of making the user do the job?

Probably because users use batch jobs to do a lot of different things, & for many of them any generic auto corrections would be inappropriate or counter-productive. Among other things, keep in mind that the 4 auto corrections that @carl123 mentioned are destructive & even the order they are applied in (much less how much if any sharpening is applied & where it is done in the order) can produce different results.

With macros, you have much more control over this, for example by including a macro that duplicates the original photo layer for batch exports to formats that support layers.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1