whitedragon101

Can Affinity designer do flow diagrams with snapping connectors?

Whenever I start a new software project it always starts with making flow diagrams and making very quick block diagrams for the interface.  At the moment I do this in open office as it allows for easy drag and drop shapes and editable right-angle/elbow connectors you can drag around and snap to the objects.  So if have a group of connected objects you can move them and the connectors stay connected.

Can Affinity Designer do this?

It would be cool if this were possible as when Affinity designer for iPad comes out I would be able to start diagrams on one platform and continue editing them on another.

No, it can't maintain the connection, it can snap to a point, geometry, guides and grids etc but if you move whatever has been snapped to, the connection will not be maintained. If you want that sort of thing try Draw.io 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

No, it can't maintain the connection, it can snap to a point, geometry, guides and grids etc but if you move whatever has been snapped to, the connection will not be maintained. If you want that sort of thing try Draw.io 

Thanks. You’re an absolute legend.

That tool looks really good and it’s free for Mac/ windows / web . Baffling how they give it away for free. Hope that doesn’t change.

I hope they add IOS to that list.

I find I have to revert to using Corel Draw to do  this, and it does the job well. You can get older versions of CD quite cheaply.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,5 Designer 1.8.5 and Publisher 1.8.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 3/30/2018 at 1:28 PM, firstdefence said:

This is so helpful.  I explored SmartDraw, Creately, LucidChart for flowcharts but didn't want to pay the ridiculous subscription pricing for such a specific use once in a while.  Draw.io is perfect since its free and its not just an online-only crap software.  You can download the draw.io standalone software for any platform.  Great post!

It would be really helpful if Affinity Designer could maintain links.  I need to make Process flow diagrams and have been using OmniGraffle for this.  However, with Omni’s policy of increasing prices dramatically and preventing old versions from working, I need to find an alternative.  I would like it to be Affinity Designer which 
I use for all other graphics.

Would be a nice feature, but probably using Designer for this is like using a Porsche to pull a dung cart to the landfill.

Personally I found the build in ability of PowerPoint or Keynote helpful in creating org charts. Both have this snapping feature, and some templates to start with as well.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:23 PM, Blende21 said:

Would be a nice feature, but probably using Designer for this is like using a Porsche to pull a dung cart to the landfill.

I'll have you know my process flow diagrams were exceptionaly fragrant, Sir!  It's been quite a few year, but I was  very happy with Smartdraw. This was when Visio was the goto app, and having something that would maintain the structure and links while things were being added and deleted was little short of miraculous!

AP user, running Win10

On 3/30/2018 at 8:02 PM, whitedragon101 said:

connectors you can drag around and snap to the objects.  So if have a group of connected objects you can move them and the connectors stay connected.

Not as comfortable as a flow chart feature but there is some basics when using the Node Tool + snapping.
Note this sample is from APub – in AD the background and the text may be 2 objects.

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 24", Affinity in Separated Mode (documents merged)

On 3/31/2018 at 11:15 AM, John Rostron said:

I find I have to revert to using Corel Draw to do  this, and it does the job well. You can get older versions of CD quite cheaply.

For anyone who doesn't already own Corel Draw, I agree with @firstdefence about using Draw.io. It does flowcharts nicely, and it's free.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.