You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Random jump when given a nudge

Frequently when I have been working in a multi-object drawing I select an existing layer by clicking on it.  Then to move the object slightly I give it a nudge using a shift direction arrow key.  It will first jump a seemingly random direction and distance with the first key stroke.  After that it acts like it should.

To get it to do it again I have to be working on another object for awhile.

I believe it did this in the last beta.  I'm not sure if it did this in MAS.

27" iMac late 2009 running Yosemite.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Along the same issue as this I created a duplicate of a part and moved it to the side.  Then I created another, cmd J, and it stayed where the second was.  Until I did a shift direction arrow key.  Then it jumped to where the Power Duplicate should have put it plus the distance of one shift direction arrow move.  I repeated this problem several times.

I've been having this same issue. It seems pretty random as to when it kicks in, but then it's the same as what you describe: the first nudge goes an unpredictable distance and direction, the it's fine. I'll continue to try and pin down what the trigger is, but so far I can't find it.

This is so bad that I am going to stop using the beta.  One piece I have repositioned 4 times now and each time I do almost anything (resizing or move) to it it jumps 20 some inches up and about a half inch over.  If the released version doesn't do it I will stay there.  And so far it's behaved.

• Staff

@Gear maker

I see how this issue can be problematic and i'm sorry its giving you so much trouble, but you can't forget you're using beta software. As a development version it's prone to contain bugs and erratic behaviour. Hopefully this should be fixed soon.

Meanwhile the MAS version seems to be working fine as you already noted.

• 3 weeks later...

The new beta 1.0.21844 so far I haven't seen a jump, but when I move an object with a shift direction arrow key (if it's moved past the cursor), then I click in the center to drag move it the item is deselected.  To continue the move it most be reselected again then drug.

@MEB

I've also noticed after nudging an object with the arrow keys, if you try to rotate/scale/skew the object it will jump back to its original position. In order for it to work correctly I have to nudge the object, press ESC to drop the object from selection, then reselect the object and perform a rotation/scale/skew operation.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this one is still in beta 1.1.2.22547...

@gear maker, funny how such a simple bug can drive you nuts!! I feel ya, I use the keyboard to nudge things all the time too... 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 2 weeks later...

Any word if this bug is being worked on? Or if it's still on your radar to be fixed? Performing any kind of rotation, scaling, or skewing after nudging resets the position of the object. Unfortunately this adds a bit of a challenge when doing any sort of UI work inside Affinity.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Cam,

It's definitely on the radar to be fixed (It's logged and being followed).

There wasn't simply time to fix it yet. The work and release of latest Designer and Photo Betas and its new tools have taken most of the development time. I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing you. Bear with us while we work through the list of reported bugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I got this one again as well, I was moving / nudging a few objects and then they all went all over the page. I tried to undo but it wouldn't place them to their original location...

I'm getting this again in all current (App Store and Customer Beta) versions.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this hyper-nudge happen a handful of times, as recent as a couple days ago.  The frequency and cause seems random from what I can tell.  The only consistencies I've been able to notice are:

- It's only ever happened when I've had a single layer selected.  Never a group, never a layer container, never multiple objects via shit+click or cmd+click.

- It's only ever happened when I've been trying to tap nudge with the arrow keys (it's never happened when I shift+nudge)

- It only affects the first nudge after selecting the object, I've never had it happen in the middle of nudging, or more than once per occurrence.

- So far it's never been a jump in the direction that I was actually trying to nudge.  I want to say that it's always been diagonal, never parallel to where the object began.

- It always seems to be the same distance, or at least close to it (if I had to guess, I'd say like ~10 shift+nudges)

I've yet to try and 'undo' when it happens because it hasn't happened in a way that's hurt my progress so far.  I've just kinda been shrugging it off and continuing to move the object where I wanted to move it anyway.  Now that I've seen this thread and know that it's not just me I'll start paying attention more when it happens and I'll try to undo, etc.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.