I basically want to join to two paths together.

In Illustrator, all I need to do is select the two ends, and click 'cmd + J' - done!

Here, I find I have to select (A), click both lines (as I can seem to select both endpoints at once), then click 'Join Curves' - easy yeah? No, still no success. Why is there not a shortcut as simple as Illustrator? 

Someone there must be an easier way surely...

Hi alexsowa,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently, when you select two curves and press the Join Curves button, the closest end nodes of each line will be connected through a line - which may not be what you want. Alternatively - with both curves selected - you can drag one end node from one of the lines over the end node of the other then press Join Curves to join those nodes. Make sure Snap to Geometry of selected curves is enabled in the Snap section (context toolbar) for the Node Tool - so the nodes will snap when they are overlapping (they become yellow when this happens).

Adding a bit to what MEB said, I have found that dragging & snapping one node onto another one & then using Join Curves sometimes merges the two nodes into one (which is what I usually want) but sometimes they remain as two separate nodes. I am not sure why it does not always work in the same way.

What I sometimes do instead of dragging an existing node is to add a node, either on one of the curves near its end or beyond the end of that curve, & then drag whichever one is now the end node to near but not on the end of the other curve. I then use the Join Curves action to connect those ends, & finish up by adding, option-deleting, or reshaping nodes as needed to get the best results. (The option-detele tries to preserve the shape of the curve through the now deleted node with varying degrees of success.)

This is tedious & more complicated than it should be but sometimes it is the only way I know to get the results I want.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1