You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need to distinguish between Photo and Designer postings

I am new to Affinity Photo and sometimes like to read through the forum posts to glean as much info and insight to the program as possible. I am sometimes half way through reading a post before I understand that it has to do with Designer instead of Photo.

It  would sure be nice if they had separate areas like the Beta section instead of all lumped together. (Photo on Windows, Photo on Mac, Designer on Windows and Designer on Mac).

Yes, that would be really nice.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

This has already been asked several times, unfortunately without result, too complicated to set up at this stage of the forum apparently.

At a minimum, if the speakers (all of us) thought of specifying the software at the beginning of the title of their post, for example [AD] or [AP], the situation would be a little clearer and the people who answered the questions (Including people from Affinity) would no longer need to specify the name of the software to which the post refers.

Some are already doing it and I appreciate it.

This has already been asked several times, unfortunately without result, too complicated to set up at this stage of the forum apparently.

Among the complications are that a lot of topics apply equally well to both apps since they share many of the same features, & that some are about how best to use the two apps together or which one is best suited for some project.

There also have been requests for separate Mac & Windows forums, so that could result in at least four designators of some kind, plus all the Beta versions stuff.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Among the complications are that a lot of topics apply equally well to both apps since they share many of the same features, & that some are about how best to use the two apps together or which one is best suited for some project.

There also have been requests for separate Mac & Windows forums, so that could result in at least four designators of some kind, plus all the Beta versions stuff.

I understand the meaning of your post but in practice I open a lot of unidentified post that does not concern me because I am only user of Designer on Windows and their contents do not help me or are not transposable: for example the shortcuts can depending on the application or operating system, or even the language of the keyboard.

I enclose the copy of your post about the object rotation: if the question you were answering was asked by specifying in the title the application and the application system I would certainly not have opened it and I would have gained time.

post-37692-0-10809600-1487601062_thumb.png

@reglico:

I understand what you are saying & mostly agree with it. I just don't know what could be done to improve things without overly complicating things for new users who may not be aware of the differences in the apps, or have general questions or comments that are not app-specific.

These are the users that are most likely to need support & guidance, so whatever can be done should not make it harder for them to get that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I enclose the copy of your post about the object rotation

I'm surprised that "scrubbing" over a text label doesn't work for you, reglico: I would expect that to be independent of the OS language. As for the scroll wheel behaviour, I can't test this because I don't have a scroll wheel on any of the pointing devices that I use, but I would expect Maj on a French keyboard to work just like Shift on an English one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm surprised that "scrubbing" over a text label doesn't work for you, reglico: I would expect that to be independent of the OS language. As for the scroll wheel behaviour, I can't test this because I don't have a scroll wheel on any of the pointing devices that I use, but I would expect Maj on a French keyboard to work just like Shift on an English one.

Alfred, I confirm that dragging right or left in the rotation window has no effect for me. This feature existed in Microsoft Expression Design 4 for all the settings windows and I found it convenient.

The Alt (Option) key associated with the mouse wheel has no effect on the rotation that remains at a 1 ° step.

For the step of 0.1 ° the rotation of the wheel must be associated with the Shift key.

As for the 10 ° step rotation I did not find the way to do it.

These behaviors are of course for all the windows tab transform.

Alfred, I confirm that dragging right or left in the rotation window has no effect for me.

I am not sure what you mean by this. As I wrote in the other topic, the feature works by dragging on the "R:" text label in the Transform panel (or whatever the French equivalent of that label might be).

I am reasonably sure that should work on the Windows versions -- I learned about it from a post Alfred made in some topic some months ago, & he is a Windows 10 user.

This should work almost anywhere there is a text label for a value you can set numerically anywhere in the Affinity UI, meaning in both apps & in both the Mac & Windows versions. That is one small example of why designating posts separately for Photo or Designer may not be as simple or useful as one might think.

Affinity Photo 

I am not sure what you mean by this. As I wrote in the other topic, the feature works by dragging on the "R:" text label in the Transform panel (or whatever the French equivalent of that label might be).

I am reasonably sure that should work on the Windows versions -- I learned about it from a post Alfred made in some topic some months ago, & he is a Windows 10 user.

This should work almost anywhere there is a text label for a value you can set numerically anywhere in the Affinity UI, meaning in both apps & in both the Mac & Windows versions. That is one small example of why designating posts separately for Photo or Designer may not be as simple or useful as one might think.

Hi R C-R,

After reading your post I just checked again and I realized I was wrong: I was trying to pull inside the window (as in Microsoft Expression Design) and not on the letter R outside of the window. I had misunderstood your explanation and I feel a bit stupid! :(

You and Alfred were right, thank you for insisting, it allowed me to open my eyes and discover a function which I regretted the absence since my debut with AD :) . 

I have no doubt that when Affinity Publisher arrives, some (many?) users will abbreviate it to AP instead of APu or APub. In order to try to avoid any confusion in the future, it might be a good idea to get into the habit of referring to Affinity Photo as APh instead of just AP.

Alfred spacer.png

Yep, add mine as another voice in favour of people having the courtesy to indicate in the post title which software they're talking about...

So Keith et al, what do you propose for topics that apply to both apps & possibly new ones as they are released, for topics asking about which app to buy or which is best for some kind of work, or for people that do not know there are two apps? Also, what should be done about topics that were started without title tags that people continue to post to, or those that start off being about one app & end up being about both (or visa versa)?

I think everyone likes the idea of being able to tell what a topic is about without having to open it. The problem is coming up with a workable way to do that. Voluntary prefixes in the title sounds good in theory, but not everyone likely would use the same abbreviation(s), some users won't know what they mean, & we need to consider things like language differences (AF vs. AP for example) & future products (AP vs. APh).

Affinity Photo 

So Keith et al, what do you propose for topics that apply to both apps & possibly new ones as they are released, for topics asking about which app to buy or which is best for some kind of work, or for people that do not know there are two apps? Also, what should be done about topics that were started without title tags that people continue to post to, or those that start off being about one app & end up being about both (or visa versa)?

I think everyone likes the idea of being able to tell what a topic is about without having to open it. The problem is coming up with a workable way to do that. Voluntary prefixes in the title sounds good in theory, but not everyone likely would use the same abbreviation(s), some users won't know what they mean, & we need to consider things like language differences (AF vs. AP for example) & future products (AP vs. APh).

I think that it would be appropriate to indicate which app was in use when the problem to resolve was experienced whether it applies to more than one application or not.

If there was a New Topic "wizard" wherein it was required to check one or more boxes that the forum then automatically inserted text like [AP] [AD], etc., at the beginning of the subject line would be nice. There is more or less that facility on Serif's other forum for the Plus line.

However, I have no idea whether this forum software has that capability built-in and i would want to see Serif waste time on it.

I probably will never purchase an AP license. But I personally do not mind opening a topic where the subject line is of interest to me even if it applies to AP. I can easily and quickly just hit the backspace key and return to where I was before I clicked on the subject or clicked on the breadcrumb link from where I entered the forum section.

Even if (or when) Serif divides up the forum into specific areas for each application, there will always be misplaced topics that do not pertain to the section the poster uses.

It's an almost "who cares" thing to me.

I think everyone likes the idea of being able to tell what a topic is about without having to open it.

I make pretty heavy use of the topic preview feature on these forums, but there are still very many occasions when I don't know which app and/or platform the topic is about until I've actually clicked through and read a goodly chunk of it.

post-8358-0-86184800-1487704087_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

I make pretty heavy use of the topic preview feature on these forums, but there are still very many occasions when I don't know which app and/or platform the topic is about until I've actually clicked through and read a goodly chunk of it.

I use it when I am browsing via mobile. But not on the laptop (unless I click off a bit anyway...).

Heck, when it comes down to it, there are some posts I have no clue as to what application the OP is using in the opening post. It's a problem everywhere, though. It's like a poster assumes we have ESP or something...

It's like a poster assumes we have ESP or something...

I don't know that app. Does it run on Windows 10? :unsure: :P whistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png

I think that it would be appropriate to indicate which app was in use when the problem to resolve was experienced whether it applies to more than one application or not.

What about people who are not using either app, for example those asking about which app they should buy? Or those who want to leave feedback of a general nature & are not experiencing any problems? 

Heck, when it comes down to it, there are some posts I have no clue as to what application the OP is using in the opening post. It's a problem everywhere, though. It's like a poster assumes we have ESP or something...

Some people don't know which app they are using because they don't know there is more than one of them. Many are newbies unfamiliar with the terminology, or are not fluent enough in English to explain things clearly in that language (or with the help of Google or other translation services).

This site must serve all Affinity users & potential users, whatever their level of expertise & communication skills. 

Affinity Photo 

Oh geez. Your last bit is just lowest common denominator rigamorol.

There could also be a checkbox for Question,l and one for feedback, eh?

Other forums use such devices. And they also often have filters for each of those checkboxes.

Oh geez. Your last bit is just lowest common denominator rigamorol.

Yes, in a sense it is. But that is inherent in the nature of commercial software support sites. They cannot exclude new or potential users unfamiliar with their products or make the site difficult for them to use.

Checkboxes, tags, title prefixes, & so on are fine for topics that fit comfortably into some clearly defined category or subject area, but many do not, particularly for those who are struggling to understand basic concepts like layers, masking, or color management.

Affinity Photo