You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On a point of order regarding removing my post that suggested a specific technique

I notice that some of my posts have been removed from a thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/202458-a-localizable-version-of-each-of-the-affinity-programs-such-that-the-localization-of-the-menus-is-using-an-external-localization-file/&do=findComment&comment=1205842

A post in which I suggested a specific technique appears to have been removed.

Alas, I have not got a copy of that post, the one with the test aflist.dat file with the code numbers.

Have you saved a copy for staff to consider when my suggestion is considered?

If so, could you email me a copy please?

I know that the post stating the pruning and locking states that the feature has been requested before.

A ruling is made "No need for another thread on this.".

Yet Pledge 4 has been made in this new era.

So I posted the idea, hoping that the idea may be of benefit.

So has my suggestion made in that thread now been rejected or is it still under consideration please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

• Staff
4 hours ago, William Overington said:

So has my suggestion made in that thread now been rejected or is it still under consideration please?

We do not comment on whether ideas are accepted or rejected, otherwise everyone else posting in the suggestion forum would demand to know if their suggestions were accepted or rejected also.

No you cannot demand copies of what you wrote. Keep your own copies if that's important to you 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

31 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

No you cannot demand copies of what you wrote. Keep your own copies if that's important to you 

Correct. For the avoidance of doubt, I have not demanded anything, I do not demand things.

I asked politely.

Asking politely is not at all demanding.

Here is a transcript of my asking.

Have you saved a copy for staff to consider when my suggestion is considered?

If so, could you email me a copy please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

It had not occurred to me that my detailed post to try to show a good way to implement my idea would be deleted.

Affinity had sought ideas.

William

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

It had not occurred to me that my detailed post to try to show a good way to implement my idea would be deleted.

Affinity had sought ideas.

Part 4 of the pledge reads as follows:

COMMUNITY LED
We are committed to shaping Affinity's future guided by your ideas
and feedback.

Note that it only refers to being guided, not being dictated to, and there is no suggestion that an implementation protocol would be welcomed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Part 4 of the pledge reads as follows:

Note that it only refers to being guided, not being dictated to, and there is no suggestion that an implementation protocol would be welcomed.

And I had not dictated to anybody at all.

I provided information that I opined would help in the assessment process and that by providing the information that I did that that might increase the possibility of the idea being tried for a practical evaluation of my suggestion.

It is a new era with Canva. The pledges have been published. Yet a ruling is made "No need for another thread on this.".

So is the new era going to be locked into what happened previously when things were different, or will the opportunity to go forward into the new era be seized?

Pledge 4 does use the word "LED".

William

4 minutes ago, William Overington said:

It is a new era with Canva. The pledges have been published. Yet a ruling is made "No need for another thread on this.".

I agree with the ruling. Posts in the new era can be added to threads that were made before the new era.

Alfred spacer.png

14 hours ago, William Overington said:

So is the new era going to be locked into what happened previously when things were different, or will the opportunity to go forward into the new era be seized?

The only thing that is different in this respect is Canva has deeper pockets than Serif did, which does not change the fact that they still will not comment on if user suggestions are accepted or not. So your so-called "point of order" has been overruled & it is pointless to continue to whine about it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

A point of order is a question.

It is not a matter of it being overruled.

A reply has been received.

I pointed out that I had not demanded anything, which was, in my opinion, a reasonable thing to do, as I had asked politely. not in any way demanded.

William

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

The only thing that is different in this respect is Canva has deeper pockets than Serif did, which does not change the fact that they still will not comment on if user suggestions are accepted or not. So your so-called "point of order" has been overruled & it is pointless to continue to whine about it.

Not necessarily.

It may well be that the policy of not commenting will remain as it was, but not necessarily. Canva has bought Affinity, Canva may decide to do things differently. Que sera sera.

William

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

A point of order is a question.

Not necessarily. A point of order may be a statement.

Alfred spacer.png

22 hours ago, William Overington said:

the one with the test aflist.dat file with the code numbers

You mean this?

*aflist.dat
*Test version 2024-04-20 Saturday
*English en-gb-oed
993101|File
993102|Open...
993103|Close
993104|Save
993105|Save As...
993201|Edit
993202|Paste
%

By the way, this is a completely common and standard technique for ensuring the translation of menu and UI items, here for example language files from Total Commander, which has been using it for decades.
image.png.9b606e662fe8380ab2aa650b17f458a0.png

image.png.300fb1bf609a0206ca3d63c53d7f2f3e.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Not necessarily. A point of order may be a statement.

I accept that you may be right, but I have always thought that a Point of Order is a question to the person chairing a meeting.

Certainly, I have seen some, shall we say, ingenious, ways of turning a statement, even a speech, into a question in the televised Points of Order in the proceedings of the House of Commons on BBC Parliament, but nevertheless.

Not direct quotes, but the following sorts of thing. quite often used, as a way of getting something done,

"Mr Speaker, The local council in my constituency of Wherever is behaving appallingly towards one of my constituents, etc details etc etc etc Is it possible for my concerns to be printed in the official report of proceedings in this chamber please?"

"The concerns that the Honourable Gentleman has with a Council is not a matter for the Chair. The Honourable Gentleman has however ensured that his concerns will be printed in the official report and his concerns will have been heard on the Treasury Bench."

William

8 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

You mean this?

*aflist.dat
*English en-gb-oed
993101|File
993102|Open...
993103|Close
993104|Save
993105|Save As...
993201|Edit
993202|Paste
%

Yes.

Thank you for posting it for me. I have now saved it on my computer and I intend to post it to webmail so that I can recover it if the computer breaks down.

William

19 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

By the way, this is a completely common and standard technique for ensuring the translation of menu and UI items, here for example language files from Total Commander, which has been using it for decades.

I was not aware of that. Thank you for informing me.

William

3 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I have now saved it on my computer and I intend to post it to webmail so that I can recover it if the computer breaks down.

If you post it to webmail, retrieval will involve searching for it once it drops off the first page or two. Why not upload it to your web space instead? If you don’t want it to be publicly accessible, you can put it somewhere outside of your ‘public_html’ (or equivalent) folder.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

It may well be that the policy of not commenting will remain as it was, but not necessarily.

How much clearer than what @Patrick Connor already told you above does have to be before you understand that the policy has not changed? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 hours ago, Pšenda said:

You mean this?

*aflist.dat
*English en-gb-oed
993101|File
993102|Open...
993103|Close
993104|Save
993105|Save As...
993201|Edit
993202|Paste
%

You might perhaps like to have a look at this slide show that I produced using Serif PagePlus X7 in 2019. There was a good possibility that it was to be presented in a talk at the Plenary conference of ISO/TC 37 in June 2020 by a member of the UK delegation. Alas, due to the Covid pandemic the conference did not take place. Nevertheless the slide show document is with ISO/TC 37. You might particularly like the fact that a word of the Czech language is included in the document. I wanted a word that included a letter with a caron accent so as to give a central European ambience to part of the story.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/slide_show_about_localizable_sentences.pdf

William

On 4/23/2024 at 5:58 PM, R C-R said:

How much clearer than what @Patrick Connor already told you above does have to be before you understand that the policy has not changed? 

Affinity has been bought by Canva.

Pledge 4 has the title COMMUNITY LED.

So it may be that Canva will decide that notwithstanding the present policy that a new policy will be instituted whereby after each meeting that considers ideas put forward by members of the community that due to Pledge 4 there will be published a document listing each suggestion that was considered at the meeting and what was decided about it, maybe to implement, to reject, to defer to a later meeting and in the meantime tests are to be done.

For example, for my suggestion, a report such as the following might be what is published in such a report.

The idea was discussed. A decision is deferred to the next meeting. In the meantime two programmers are to spend no more than the equivalent of two days each on testing whether implementing the idea is feasible and if so how much time would be needed to do so.

This clearly would be a change from the present policy, yet Canva buying Affinity is a big change too, and Canva might change the way things are done.

Bearing in mind that Pledge 4 has COMMUNITY LED the above suggestion would seem entirely reasonable and helpful.

Tradition can be good, but tradition should not stop progress.

William

Affinity has been bought by Canva.

Yes, Serif has been bought by Canva & as @Patrick Connor has told you the policy has not been changed.

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes, Serif has been bought by Canva & as @Patrick Connor has told you the policy has not been changed.

That reply and my post are not incompatible.

Some of the Directors have changed, so que sera sera.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/202817-if-serif-moves-to-subscription-based-biz-model-can-they-cripple-use-of-existing-apps-with-an-update/&do=findComment&comment=1207238

Pledge 4 has been issued and it states COMMUNITY LED.

Can development be COMMUNITY LED if the community are not informed and are kept in the dark?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/201423-canva/page/20/#comment-1193400

William

5 hours ago, William Overington said:

So it may be that Canva will decide that notwithstanding the present policy that a new policy will be instituted whereby after each meeting that considers ideas put forward by members of the community that due to Pledge 4 there will be published a document listing each suggestion that was considered at the meeting and what was decided about it, maybe to implement, to reject, to defer to a later meeting and in the meantime tests are to be done.

Too many occurrences of the word “that”! :o And rather lacking in punctuation, too, which results in the reader having to do a lot of work to unravel the meaning.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Can development be COMMUNITY LED if the community are not informed and are kept in the dark?

Of course it can! ‘Community led’ simply means that decisions are informed by views that members of the community have expressed. There is no obligation on company officials to inform community members about the nature of any decisions or the process by which those decisions were reached.

Alfred spacer.png