You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot export what I have on my canvas with Affinity Designer

Thanks.

Darn, I hoped it might be a simple ‘wrong number of bits’ problem, but it doesn’t seem to be.

I can’t see any obvious reasons for the problem from what you’ve shared so far.

Would you be able to share the AFDESIGN document?

Thanks.

I’m not seeing the same thing on the canvas as you – see attached screenshot.

I think it might have something to do with the Gradient Overlay Layer Effect on the egg shaped curve in the Egg group – the one with the Colour Dodge Blend Mode - but I'm not sure what.

image.thumb.png.388449ee6643e14cfea166a3a67a3a85.png

I’m not sure if it’s a bug or not at this stage.

Are your graphics card drivers up-to-date? If not, have you tried updating them?

Do you have any colour calibration on your monitor(s)? If so, can you give details?

If you can also share a screenshot showing your Settings / Performance settings then someone with more knowledge in this area might have a better idea of what’s happening.

You said you looked under Pixel persona, that would not show you how it looks as pixels, it still shows vectors as vectors in pixel persona. Only under Navigator can you see how it would appear as pixels or retina pixels.

Your image is very small 768pixels x 768pixels.

Look under the navigator to see how your image looks as pixels not vector view.

I would at least double your document pixel dimensions to at least 1536x1536 or preferably 3072x3072 if you want your subtle gradient shading effects to be visible when you convert from a vector format to a pixel format.

IMG_6231.png

IMG_6233.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Thanks for the extra screenshot.

I don’t understand why these two things are true at the same time:

• what you see on the canvas is different to what you see in the export preview, and;
  • what I see on the canvas is the same as what I see in the export preview.

If someone can figure that out then we’ll possibly have a better idea as to what the problem is.

There’s maybe a chance that it might, possibly, have something to do with what’s being discussed in this thread about RTX 3070 and ICC profiles (or something) https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/189070-colour-management-question/ but that discussion is way over my head.

Just now, Paul Mudditt said:

No it looks very poor in Navigator view as I’d expect for such a small document. It will look good in pixel persona because it is still displayed as vectors counter-intuitively. Rasterise or flatten your image if you really want to see what it looks like as pixels.

I don't think you're understanding the issue, please look at the first picture in this thread.

49 minutes ago, GarryP said:
  • what you see on the canvas is different to what you see in the export preview, and;
  • what I see on the canvas is the same as what I see in the export preview.

For what it's worth I see the same as the OP

Perfect in Designer but the (export) preview does not match

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It took some time to understand what the issue is, as the description  in the posts left room for interpretation and the jpg after upload does not really show the issue.

• the export preview is shown in 1/2 resolution of the actual file, leading to artifacts 
  • the rendering inside Designer and exported files are ok.

for me a bug.

Image shows a screen capture of export preview (at 800%) put back into the source document, masked by a rectangle.

IMG_1184.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The issue is not related to any layer fx or overlays. Even if you export a jpeg, open that file, and start export preview again the same issue occours, in Designer and in Photo.

17 hours ago, simonsanchezart said:

Thank you, disabling the Gradient Overlay with Color Dodge in the 'Base' egg shape seems to "fix it"

Seems like it's just a bug.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Export preview rendering (zoomed ca. 800%

IMG_1182.jpeg.7efcc2abf4e5003504fa1ef0ca51b3e4.jpeg

Exported image shown in preview

IMG_1183.thumb.png.e1f4d35deb2578a18f56f747316b566f.png

File a bug report. 

Hi @simonsanchezart,

The issue is clear and has nothing to do with the resolution of the export preview. It appears to be an Artboard-specific issue and I have a feeling this may already be logged as a bug though I can't be certain...

• Exporting the Artboard with Area set to 'Whole Document' is causing the Gradient Overlay to render and export incorrectly...
  • Selecting the objects on the Artboard and then setting Area to 'Selection Only' renders the Gradient Overlay and exports the file correctly...
  • Placing the objects on a Canvas rather than an Artboard renders and exports the file correctly when Area is set to 'Whole Document' or 'Selection Only...

Artboard Export Preview with Area Set to Whole Document

ArtboardWholeDocument.thumb.png.40bab7fca35780d5ab2a483faaf1853d.png

Artboard Export Preview with Area Set to Selection Only

ArtboardSelectionOnly.thumb.png.7444376996962047468d4481e66bf0cf.png

Canvas (Non-Artboard) Export Preview with Area Set to either Whole Document or Selection Only

Canvas.thumb.png.a8906cb20f91a3276251cd21e966fb1a.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @simonsanchezart,

I wonder if you are running into another version of the bug reported in this thread which affects the Colour Dodge blend mode and that likely would account for the colour issue on the egg?  I'll try and confirm if that's the case and make sure there isn't a separate issue here that needs logging.

@NotMyFaultThanks for reporting the issue with the Preview, as that is a separate issue.  The Tech Agent who has that ticket will reply shortly :) 

Hi @stokerg,

If you copy and paste the artwork onto a Canvas there is no longer an issue with either the export preview or the exported file so I'm not sure this is related to the Colour Dodge Blend Mode since that is present with both Artboard and Canvas though I could be completely wrong... :)

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Hangman said:

If you copy and paste the artwork onto a Canvas there is no longer an issue with either the export preview or the exported file so I'm not sure this is related to the Colour Dodge Blend Mode since that is present with both Artboard and Canvas though I could be completely wrong... :)

Nope you are correct, delete the artboard and keep the objects and the export/preview is fine.

Just ran this past QA and they have informed me it's actually AF-1318 so has already been logged. This is caused by the Gradient Overlay Layer Effect using non-100% stops.

I'll get the report updated with a link back to this thread so the Affinity Info Bot can update here when it has been resolved :) 

Hi @stokerg,

Thanks for confirming... :)

10 minutes ago, stokerg said:

This is caused by the Gradient Overlay Layer Effect using non-100% stops.

Could you elaborate here, do you mean the Scale X: and Scale Y: percentage values in the Gradient Overly FX using values other than 100%?