You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

offline activation for V2?

After the news of affinty being sold to canva, I went to secure my purchase but v2 apps doesn't have an activation key and only can be activated online?

I hope you you will provide a way to being able to activate offline as a last good will gesture to the community.

Companies like canva usually take what they want and shutdown everything else. I want to keep using my affinity designer as I was promised, that is for as long as it still works...

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

• Staff

@nitro912gr

You do need to be online to activate the apps. There are no plans to change how the V2 apps are activated. 

Nothing will change with your V2 licenses following today's news. As an Affinity user you will be able to continue to use your apps in perpetuity as they were originally purchased – with plenty of free updates to V2 still to look forward to!

sure but this is what probably adobe told people who had CS3 too and now they can only use cracked versions of software they got because it required online activation.

At least they provided for CS2 users.

I wish affinity and it's servers are around more than my lifetime but better safe than sorry, right? Sorry, not want to be mean to the staff or anyone but I really don't trust big corporations, and canva is a big corporation.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

40 minutes ago, SFurniss said:

Nothing will change with your V2 licenses following today's news. As an Affinity user you will be able to continue to use your apps in perpetuity as they were originally purchased – with plenty of free updates to V2 still to look forward to!

It must be said that the old Plus/Legacy Serif software was sold as a "lifetime" licence (not subscription), but Serif washed their hands of those apps several years ago. Some do still continue to work, but others are problematical. Serif will no longer help with any support, either supplying product codes for people who have lost them, nor will they help with any technical questions. I can see that  this could well be the same case with the Affinity software in a few years. I really hope that Serif will provide some means of off line activation, in the event of the current versions of the apps being replaced with newer versions (under the Canva banner,) for people needing to reinstall their current versions. I suspect, that like Adobe, Canva will not be interested in maintaining online activation systems in perpetuity.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Activation servers will remain FOR NOW. Yeah that's about the same thing they said to Serif movieplus users. Nowadays those users are pretty much f&^%cked unless they still have an existing activated copy somewhere(which they can export by jumping through some hoops. And even then it's not possible to activate certain video codecs.

7 hours ago, SFurniss said:

@nitro912gr

Nothing will change with your V2 licenses following today's news.

Everything has already changed. You know this and we all know this. We are not asking about plans, cuz it doesn't matter anymore. We just ask for codes, so when you will shut down we can use V2. If yes thank you, if not, then I hope the money worth it.

😎

8 hours ago, SFurniss said:

@nitro912gr

Problem with accepting that statement at face value, is the fact that when I bought V2 Suite, not that long ago, there was lots of talk about years of free updates and support for this version and absolutely no chance of the software becoming subscription based.

And yet today I learn my software is now owned by a company that does exactly that, and have stated there will be no license changes at this time.

Hardly reassuring, is it.

Sorry, but I don't believe a word you say anymore. Trust gone.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:19 PM, nitro912gr said:

Companies like canva usually take what they want and shutdown everything else. I want to keep using my affinity designer as I was promised, that is for as long as it still works...

What companies of their 6 prior acquisitions have they shut down?

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

8 hours ago, AiDon said:

What companies of their 6 prior acquisitions have they shut down?

We're sad to announce the closure of our stand-alone operations as of September 27, 2024.

The Smartmockups team will continue delivering the first-class mockup experience you love until the shutdown date. Learn what this means for you.

is one I know for sure, they integrated smartmockups in canva and left anyone else who was using them in the dust "use it with our canva or bye".

This is the reason I'm afraid of what the future holds, if they really keep everything separated and the way it is (more or less) I have not a problem and I'm fully committed to support the whole thing, but I'm skeptical for now and only time will tell.

Current Workstation:

On 3/28/2024 at 3:33 PM, nitro912gr said:

they integrated smartmockups in canva and left anyone else who was using them in the dust "use it with our canva or bye".

Not true, smartmockups was always subscription and the full statement says all continues on the Canva website.

Since 2021, our team has launched mockup tools in Canva with similar functionality to smartmockups.com.”

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

On 3/31/2024 at 1:21 AM, AiDon said:

Not true, smartmockups was always subscription and the full statement says all continues on the Canva website.

Since 2021, our team has launched mockup tools in Canva with similar functionality to smartmockups.com.”

I never said it was not subscription, I specifically said that they pulled the site as it was and now you can only use the mockups though canva, that is you can't download them to work in photoshop for example.

The "canva website" means use only with canva withing canva. And the smartmockups are no more.

Current Workstation: