You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity 2 does not open the document, it keeps loading

A long time ago I reported this bug with a trial version of Affinity, now I have purchased the bundle and I see that they have not solved this problem.

When I try to open certain files, affinity just won't open them!!!! It only shows a small message: "Loading 1 document" and it doesn't go from there, it doesn't let me close the program either and I have to do it from the process manager.

On my iPad and Windows the file opens normally, the problem only occurs on MacOS

MacOS: 12.7.4 (21H1123)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)

Chip Apple M1 Pro

Memory 16 GB

image.thumb.png.6ca68da0864666c532887745aa6d3656.png

It would help to provide a link to the original topic (here) or to continue in the original topic.

If you're still working on the same document, it is likely that the problem is with the linked files in your document. What kind of files are they, and where are they located? (Or, if you're working on a different document also with linked files, same question. What kind, and where are they located. And how many files are involved?

Also, what release of macOS are you using?

---

I see your original topic has a bug tag (though no response directly from Serif in the topic): https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=afp-6338

It's a bit odd that they tagged it, but did not respond, especially as there's nothing else with that tag. We'll need to wait for a Serif comment, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Did you just upgrade to Sonoma by any chance? There is an issue with iCloud and Sonoma, files need to fully download before they can open in Affinity. Sonoma needs to do some syncing when first installed. Some users encountered this, it took an hour or two to open a document but then once it was done it worked fine from then on.

So if you just upgraded, let it sit for a few hours until Sonoma and Affinity are happy together.

If you didn't just upgrade to Sonoma, then I'm unsure what the issue is. Are there any linked resources?

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

11 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Did you just upgrade to Sonoma by any chance?

Sonoma wasn’t around …

12 hours ago, Yulian David said:

A long time ago

… and in any case

12 hours ago, Yulian David said:

MacOS: 12.7.4 (21H1123)

is Monterey. detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

22 hours ago, Yulian David said:

When I try to open certain files, affinity just won't open them!!!! It only shows a small message: "Loading 1 document" and it doesn't go from there, it doesn't let me close the program either and I have to do it from the process manager.

This sounds like there may be a Designer Document getting opened from a missing network. To stop this from happening you have to hold down the Control key (both Mac and Windows use the Control key) whilst starting up the application. This will bring up a dialog box. Uncheck everything except "Reset Most Recent Documents"

ScreenShot2024-03-18at8_39_24AM.png.a217c308e050ed95cd10525c5361dc74.png 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 3/18/2024 at 5:34 AM, DWright said:

I have bumped this report with our developers

Can you please also send me a copy of the file that you are having this issue opening using the Dropbox link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/CFNcdsdgMnN30oedaReW

Files uploaded.

22 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

This sounds like there may be a Designer Document getting opened from a missing network. To stop this from happening you have to hold down the Control key (both Mac and Windows use the Control key) whilst starting up the application. This will bring up a dialog box. Uncheck everything except "Reset Most Recent Documents"

ScreenShot2024-03-18at8_39_24AM.png.a217c308e050ed95cd10525c5361dc74.png 

I did it, but it didn't work.

On 3/17/2024 at 1:02 PM, MikeTO said:

Did you just upgrade to Sonoma by any chance? There is an issue with iCloud and Sonoma, files need to fully download before they can open in Affinity. Sonoma needs to do some syncing when first installed. Some users encountered this, it took an hour or two to open a document but then once it was done it worked fine from then on.

So if you just upgraded, let it sit for a few hours until Sonoma and Affinity are happy together.

If you didn't just upgrade to Sonoma, then I'm unsure what the issue is. Are there any linked resources?

On 3/17/2024 at 12:03 PM, walt.farrell said:

It would help to provide a link to the original topic (here) or to continue in the original topic.

If you're still working on the same document, it is likely that the problem is with the linked files in your document. What kind of files are they, and where are they located? (Or, if you're working on a different document also with linked files, same question. What kind, and where are they located. And how many files are involved?

Also, what release of macOS are you using?

---

I see your original topic has a bug tag (though no response directly from Serif in the topic): https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=afp-6338

It's a bit odd that they tagged it, but did not respond, especially as there's nothing else with that tag. We'll need to wait for a Serif comment, I think.

Indeed, verify that the problem occurs when working within OneDrive folders.
— If I change the name or path of the file that I have linked in my main document, the error occurs.
— I have to go to my iPad and relink the file, so I can open it again on my Mac.

Now, it's a bug that needs to be fixed. As I said, on Windows and iPad the document opens normally, of course, the linked resources management message appears, but it does not freeze without even opening the document as it happens on Mac.

Hey, 

For what it's worth, just wanted to mention I got the same issue. 

I noticed about a month ago that I could not open files on my MacBook air M1 on latest Sonoma.

The files are both publisher and photo documents both with and without linked resources. (so that can´t be the problem)

The files get stuck on "loading document" at the top of the screen like described by other people. 

The files work fine on my iMac 2017 that runs latest Ventura and my iPad Pro 2017 running latest iPad os when I open them via iCloud where I store and sync my files.

(The files are just in a regular self created iCloud folder and not in a iCloud-library folder created by the app)

It doesn't help to simply resave the same document on a device that works or rename to another filename. After doing this it still won't open on my MacBook with Sonoma. My only workaround has been to create a new document on Ventura or Ipad os 17 and copy over all links and assets. If I save that file as a new file it works. So the strange thing is that the problem is not simply that the file is created on Ventura and opened in Sonoma. All files created on other devices created from now on seems to work fine.

I tried to download, copy, resave, rename the same files to an external ssd and open them from there with no luck. So I don´t think it's linked to iCloud where I store my files. 

It´s like something is burned into the code of those files that affinity 2 on Sonoma doesn't like...

Here are two example files that are almost the same. The one that is named "can open on Sonoma" is created on Ventura, where I copied over the assets into a blank documents and made some small edits. Both can be opened on my iMac running Ventura. But only one can be opened on my Macbook running Sonoma. Can anyone try to open both files on an updated Sonoma machine and see if my problem can be reproduced? 

LINK TO FILES:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/q7u38uhc6ret73c5zd61h/h?rlkey=chy0iglgqovx60e7husfy96xe&dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

Aaah! I just updated Designer to 2.4.1 and Sonoma 14.4.1. Files are stored in Google Drive but downloaded to my computer. I'm on and have been on Sonoma. Suddenly, a whole series of files just won't open. Some files, using the same assets (stored in the same Google Drive) open just fine. They were working on 2.4.0 and 14.4. This is awful, and I've never had something like this happen before. Files open just fine on the iPad, thankfully, although I have no clue how to use the app. One thing that I noticed was that, when trying to open one of the files in Affinity Publisher and Affinity Photo, I was asked to grant access to allow them to access files in OneDrive. Uhh, none of the files or assets are in OneDrive. So does look like it might be something networking related.

On 3/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, kimthejo said:

Hey, 

For what it's worth, just wanted to mention I got the same issue. 

I noticed about a month ago that I could not open files on my MacBook air M1 on latest Sonoma.

The files are both publisher and photo documents both with and without linked resources. (so that can´t be the problem)

The files get stuck on "loading document" at the top of the screen like described by other people. 

The files work fine on my iMac 2017 that runs latest Ventura and my iPad Pro 2017 running latest iPad os when I open them via iCloud where I store and sync my files.

(The files are just in a regular self created iCloud folder and not in a iCloud-library folder created by the app)

It doesn't help to simply resave the same document on a device that works or rename to another filename. After doing this it still won't open on my MacBook with Sonoma. My only workaround has been to create a new document on Ventura or Ipad os 17 and copy over all links and assets. If I save that file as a new file it works. So the strange thing is that the problem is not simply that the file is created on Ventura and opened in Sonoma. All files created on other devices created from now on seems to work fine.

I tried to download, copy, resave, rename the same files to an external ssd and open them from there with no luck. So I don´t think it's linked to iCloud where I store my files. 

It´s like something is burned into the code of those files that affinity 2 on Sonoma doesn't like...

Here are two example files that are almost the same. The one that is named "can open on Sonoma" is created on Ventura, where I copied over the assets into a blank documents and made some small edits. Both can be opened on my iMac running Ventura. But only one can be opened on my Macbook running Sonoma. Can anyone try to open both files on an updated Sonoma machine and see if my problem can be reproduced? 

LINK TO FILES:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/q7u38uhc6ret73c5zd61h/h?rlkey=chy0iglgqovx60e7husfy96xe&dl=0

I have tested your files and get the same results. The one file won't open in Sonoma 14.4.1 while the other will. Screenshots attached. I hadn't updated Photo, so I first tried them both in Photo 2.3.1. Screenshots attached. I then updated to Photo 2.4.1 and got the exact same results. It does seem like there is something burned into the code of these files that Affinity 2 on Sonoma, but not iPad, just chokes on.

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.19.21.png

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.18.21.png

I probably don't have any helpful information to share, but I'll share what I've noticed. Since my initial report, I had noticed that if I tried to open one of my files it would open...eventually. Several minutes? Hours? I was never patient enough to sit around and see for myself. My last test of this was yesterday, when I probably stopped watching after 5 minutes.

Today, I restart my computer (again) and suddenly all the files are opening immediately. I updated Designer to the latest version, but did not update Photo. However, the linked Photo file above now opens right away. 

@MEB This problem appears to be a bug that has something to do with Affinity and iCloud.

Go to System Preferences / Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders, and for each of your Affinity Apps, remove access to iCloud.

This may sound unrelated, but it gives you back access to your files. In my case this setting was preventing me from opening certain files on dropbox. I noticed the problem occurred as soon as a popup window asked me to grant access to iCloud. If this pops up, click "Don't Allow".

If you click "Don't Allow", you can still access and open Affinity files on iCloud.

The last point I 'd like to make here with the settings mentioned earlier. The iCloud access switch is duplicated. This has got to be a bug!

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 1.32.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 10.08.11 AM.png

You can:

Thanks! No luck for me I´m afraid with your method Chris. Tried your trick and it didn´t fix anything. I removed access, even rebooted and still stuck on loading with the same files.

I aslo tried leaving my computer on for a few hours but still no luck with the affected files. I will try to leave them over night and see what happens, some people seem to have fixed it this way.

I´ll report back if any of the solutions suddenly start working for me.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:54 PM, kimthejo said:

I aslo tried leaving my computer on for a few hours but still no luck with the affected files. I will try to leave them over night and see what happens, some people seem to have fixed it this way.

I´ll report back if any of the solutions suddenly start working for me.

Yeh, tried to leave one of the troublesome files on "loading file" for 36 hours, still didn´t open I´m afraid. 

On 4/9/2024 at 12:19 AM, Chris Heath said:

@MEB This problem appears to be a bug that has something to do with Affinity and iCloud.

Go to System Preferences / Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders, and for each of your Affinity Apps, remove access to iCloud.

This may sound unrelated, but it gives you back access to your files. In my case this setting was preventing me from opening certain files on dropbox. I noticed the problem occurred as soon as a popup window asked me to grant access to iCloud. If this pops up, click "Don't Allow".

If you click "Don't Allow", you can still access and open Affinity files on iCloud.

The last point I 'd like to make here with the settings mentioned earlier. The iCloud access switch is duplicated. This has got to be a bug!

This worked for me, thank you!

On 4/9/2024 at 12:19 AM, Chris Heath said:

Thanks this worked out for me.