You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

make PDF default file format

no other software uses Affinity's file format(s)

almost all customers, print services, ad companies never used / will never use Affinity file formats

I found it very annoying to always use Export to get my work in usable file format

is there an option to set Designer's default file format to PDF (or whatever is needed)?

please

thank you

Hi, PDF is a file intended for document distribution, not for saving, and doesn't support the full feature set of Designer. You would lose so much. This is the same reason that Adobe Illustrator doesn't save in PDF, users would lose so much when re-opening their files.

For example, PDF doesn't support text styles, so all paragraph and character styles would be lost. PDF doesn't support text frames, so every line of text would be separate. Design does attempt to join lines of text into paragraphs and put them in frames but this isn't perfect.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

well, if someone doesn't want to "lose so much" they can choose Affinity's format

me (and I really think the majority of users) would be fine with the capabilities of PDF

so, I guess the answer to my question is: no?

What Miketo states is that it is neither technically feasible, practically sensible, nor at all meaningful from any perspective to use PDF as a native file format in Affinity. And he is absolutely right.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

btw: this "style" of answers is very common on german forums: not answering questions, but questioning the author's ideas / intentions / way of working.

hope you understand that this is why I am not so happy with your answers

although I am very pleased about your efforts

2 minutes ago, dandyse said:

understand and I thank you both for telling me

but ... it is not necessarily an answer to my question, is it?

Yes, I think it is. Programs that allow saving in file formats as a default other than their own usually have different prerequisites for this. Take for example LibreOffice and Word. Both formats are intended for the same use in word processors, and LibreOffice is largely synchronized feature-wise with Word to ensure compatibility, so the program is developed as a clone of Word under the hood; that's the prerequisite for full compatibility. It's still no easy task to implement. Things that are not supported in PDF will be rasterized or omitted, and all these many, many deviations you would have to understand. There is such a great distance between the formats and the support that it would not make sense at all for Serif to make it possible.

DPF and Affinity store completely different things from entirely different engines, and the file formats are completely different for different purposes. It would be an export every single time you saved, and an import every time you opened in the midst of your work.

Inkscape saves in SVG because it's designed for it, and even Inkscape had to create an Inkscape SVG variation to support the features Inkscape had beyond the SVG specification.

It's a long story, but you can't set it in Affinity for that reason, and the reason is complex. 🙂

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

• Staff

Hi @dandyse,

1 hour ago, dandyse said:

is there an option to set Designer's default file format to PDF (or whatever is needed)?

I can confirm that File > Save in Affinity apps will create a document using the native Affinity file format (.afphoto, afdesign, .afpub). If you wish to create a PDF file, you'll need to use File > Export.

Unfortunately there's no option to change the default Save behaviour at this time, many reasons for thus are covered above.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

To receive a different answer may require a different question to be asked.

34 minutes ago, dandyse said:

[...] not answering questions, but questioning the author's ideas / intentions / way of working.

You made a suggestion and received fair minded explanations of why that suggestion may not be very sensible.

56 minutes ago, dandyse said:

[...] I really think the majority of users would be fine with the capabilities of PDF

That is a bold and very probably inaccurate assumption. I am often very supportive of feature requests, but I cannot support this one.

1 hour ago, dandyse said:

btw: this "style" of answers is very common on german forums: not answering questions, but questioning the author's ideas / intentions / way of working.

although I am very pleased about your efforts

Ah, please read what I wrote once more. I fully answered the question from the perspective that in every aspect, it is difficult, impractical, and virtually impossible, regardless of one's preferences. On that basis, Serif cannot accommodate the way customers work. Not with PDF.

2 hours ago, dandyse said:

no other software uses Affinity's file format(s)

Most similar software uses it's own native file format, just like Affinity does!

2 hours ago, dandyse said:

I found it very annoying to always use Export to get my work in usable file format

It doesn't really matter if you call it "Save" or "Export". Affinity files have very few options, so can be saved without needing to change settings. On the other hand, there are many varieties and options for PDF files, so you need to open a dialogue box to make sure you are using the correct settings.

It's also worth remembering that an Affinity file can easily be reopened and then "saved" as a PDF. It is not possible to reopen a PDF file in Affinity and regain all the original features and settings.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Even with Adobe you are always exporting to a PDF to send for pretty much most types of print jobs. Very rarely does anyone actually give me native files and rarely do I ever request them, unless I need to do serious fix up work to their files. So my work is saved and packed in Indesign, the file I use for printing be it wide format or digital presses is PDF. Not sure any RIPs would even support native Adobe files, or the majority of them anyways. 

PDF is obviously better for sending to clients/printers etc than the Affinity native format, but it's pretty useless if you need to save the file to continue working on the project, or to keep to edit or reuse later! As such (IMHO) the best default format to save files is the Affinity native format, then export as PDF (or, depending on the project,) another common file format, when sending to clients etc.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Saving to PDF is meaningful only for apps like Adobe Acrobat, PitStop and similar. Not for any other.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 1/31/2024 at 3:35 PM, dandyse said:

You can try to use the Export persona, set the export to PDF in it, and select the Continuous option. So the PDF file will be created automatically every time you change the document, and you won't have to keep repeating it manually/annoyingly.

image.png.2094a576ca2a1aee89617a902a52233d.png
https://affinity.help/designer2/English.lproj/pages/ExportPersona/slicesPanel.html

P.S.

On 1/31/2024 at 4:12 PM, dandyse said:

Be aware that you didn't post your "question" in the forum for "questions" - where you would most likely get the "answer" you wanted (sounds "NO"), but in the forum for "requests". Therefore, the arguments presented here were rather of the type - why the request you mentioned will most likely not be accepted and implemented, because not only is it completely against the concept of Affinity, but it is probably also an unnecessary investment of development capacities, since there will not be many users who would use such a thing at all (even though you think otherwise).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

33 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

image.png.2094a576ca2a1aee89617a902a52233d.png

Grammatical error reported here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)