You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reticulated Gradient Map - a FREE Macro Download

smadell

I am attaching a macro category called “Reticulated Gradient Map” which can be used for color grading or for creating an artistic rendition of a photograph. The look was inspired by a recently viewed YouTube video on the Texturelabs channel in which an image was posterized and gradient mapped, but with a specific type of grain applied to the borders of the colors. The original video can be found here.

The effect relied on a filter found in Photoshop’s Filter Gallery called “Reticulation”. Although the Reticulation filter is not available in Affinity Photo, this macro duplicates the effect fairly reliably.

Here is a before and after image, along with the User Dialog settings used during the image’s creation.

ReticulatedGradientMap-BeforeandAfter.thumb.jpg.82cb568955cb0896b9bf4271e290f11c.jpg

The macro creates a number of adjustments and other layers inside a Group called Reticulated Color Grade. Because the effect is entirely contained inside the group, the effect can be turned on and off by showing/hiding the enclosing group. Also, the effect is entirely non-destructive (with one exception, discussed below) and will respond immediately to any additional edits made to the original image.

ReticulatedGradientMap-LayersStack.jpg.089dba344a33178420965caef82cdd72.jpg

I have also created a PDF (also attached to this post) with specific instructions for using this macro. However, in brief, invoking the macro will set up the Layers stack (as above) and present a dialog to the user for some initial settings. You will be asked to set the following:

1) Adjust Reticular Noise Size (destructive)

The “Reticulation Noise” layer is a pixel layer in which a reticulated pattern of noise is applied. The macro invokes an “Equations” filter to increase or decrease the size of the noise. The default value is 0.8, and the slider will accept values between 0 and 1 (although anything above 0.8 is capped at that value, since the math falls apart above that value). In general, the default setting results in the largest reticular noise available, but the noise can be decreased in size by setting the slider to smaller values.

2) Adjust Reticular Noise Opacity

This slider affects the opacity of the “Reticulation Noise” layer. The overall effect is that, at lower values, the graininess of the reticulation is held closer and closer to the borders between colors. The default value is 20% and the slider will accept values between 0% and 100%. In general, keeping the value to smaller numbers is usually going to be more visually pleasing.

3) Distribute Tones

This slider affects the Gamma slider in a Levels adjustment. Because the Levels adjustment is applied prior to the Gradient Map, shifting the slider to the left or the right will shift the colors toward the lighter or darker tones respectively. Play with this a bit, watching for the appearance or disappearance of colors mapped to whites and blacks.

The first setting, in which the “size” of the noise is adjusted, is a destructive change. It cannot be edited once the macro has been finalized. This particular slider should be set carefully. However, other values can be edited afterward. I would suggest the following edits after the macro has been allowed to complete.

1) Open the Distribute Tones layer. This is a Levels adjustment, and sits inside of the “Monochrome Group.” I have found it to be helpful to move the Black Level and White Level sliders inward so as to meet the left and right borders of the histogram. Also, you can adjust the Gamma slider so as to shift the gradient mapped colors toward the lighter and darker values.

ReticulatedGradientMap-DistributeTones.thumb.jpg.c2003c95f39d90850e1968ae23c7c412.jpg

2) Select the Reticulation Noise layer and fine tune the Opacity of that layer. You will find that adjusting the opacity of the layer will shift how much the graininess of the reticulation involves the individual colors. In general, keeping the Opacity low will keep the reticulation noise closer to the borders between the individual colors.

ReticulatedGradientMap-FineTuneOpacity.jpg.3a158893778823e2b4f16b522e2f3946.jpg

3) The macro uses a Gradient Map that uses purple and orange colors for its default. Obviously, you can change this (and you probably will want to!) Open the Gradient Map Adjustment layer and change the colors as you’d like. Using an adjustment preset will make this easier, but those presets are up to you. Be aware that the macro sets the Posterize adjustment to 5 levels, and the Gradient Map has stops at 0, 25, 50, 75, and 100%. This means that the end result will give 5 posterized colors, as represented by the colors chosen for those stops.

The attached macro category should be imported into the Library panel, using the “hamburger menu” at the top right corner of the panel. The macro was created in Affinity Photo 2, and will not be compatible with version 1. Also, once the macro category is imported, you can drag the macro to any other category you already have set up. (I have placed the macro inside a Category that I created called “Color Grading” but you can set up your categories as you would like.)

As with all of the macros that I have submitted please remember that I am one person working with one computer. I have tested the macro in a fairly limited fashion, and it works well for me. I believe that the macro functions as stated, but of course I cannot make any guarantees.

On the other hand, if you like the macro you should keep it and enjoy it. It is free to use for personal and/or commercial work, and you do not need to credit me in any way. My only requests are these: (i) please post a response in this Forum topic to let me know that you are using the macro and (hopefully) enjoying it; and (ii) please remember to “pay it forward” by contributing to the forum in any way you can. It is by sharing your experience and your expertise that we all improve our skills and our enjoyment.

Reticulated Gradient Map.afmacros Using the Reticulated Gradient Map Macro.pdf

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Nice! :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Thanks, @loukash.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Thanks a lot, @smadell – nice work!

It seems, however, that the grain Affinity Photo can produce is looking a bit more "jagged" and not quite as round and "pleasing" as the one Photoshop can achieve using its "Reticulation" filter. But that certainly doesn't take anything away from your work – it’s just AP's (current) limitation...

Glad you like this, @Lorox. The reticulation noise is a actually sampled straight out of Photoshop!

In the YouTube video you mentioned in another post, Brady linked to some sample files on his website (https://texturelabs.org/tutorials/grain-shaded-gradient-maps-in-photoshop/) where I downloaded a Reticulation Noise file. I took a 256x256 piece of this (to keep the macro size smaller) and had Affinity Photo. create a Pattern Layer out of it. So, you see, the “reticulation” is not actually an Affinity Photo construct but rather a Photoshop sample.

13 minutes ago, smadell said:

Glad you like this, @Lorox. The reticulation noise is a actually sampled straight out of Photoshop!

In the YouTube video you mentioned in another post, Brady linked to some sample files on his website (https://texturelabs.org/tutorials/grain-shaded-gradient-maps-in-photoshop/) where I downloaded a Reticulation Noise file. I took a 256x256 piece of this (to keep the macro size smaller) and had Affinity Photo. create a Pattern Layer out of it. So, you see, the “reticulation” is not actually an Affinity Photo construct but rather a Photoshop sample.

Oh... I didn't notice this (or wasn't quite aware you could do it this way). Maybe the slightly stronger jaggedness of the reticulation grainin AP which I seemed to be noticing is possibly connected to a certain setting that had been made or to the resolution of the example? Anyway, I your contribution is highly appreciated!

I hope you enjoy the macro, @romeosoroka.

42 minutes ago, smadell said:

I hope you enjoy the macro

For my part I have to confess that – contrary to using and making Photoshop actions back in the day – I still haven't made use of any Macros in Affinity so far... Maybe it's time now to go for it...

@Stitches - it took 2 or 3 days of trial and error to get all the pieces to cooperate with other (I hope…) Once it worked, the PDF was easy. Then, it just meant having the confidence that it would work for someone else! Hope you find it worthwhile. Thanks for your feedback!

• 1 month later...

@smadell I have just tried your macro for the first time.  What fun!  Here is a first stab. No self-respecting owl would ever claim this relative! (Or the one in the old print from the British Library — on the left — for that matter.)

On another subject entirely, would you be willing to share the name of the font you used for your PDF?  I am translating a very long book into English and have been considering Adobe Garamond Pro, but I like yours so much better — it has a cleaner look!

WhiteOwlwatercolor.jpg.c329a6cf7935c4477cb471e2708b3ab2.jpg
reticulatedowl.thumb.jpg.a5265be622aa4b03e4c473933078274f.jpg

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

11 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

On another subject entirely, would you be willing to share the name of the font you used for your PDF?

Good afternoon, Jen! I assume you mean the "Ten Thousand Feet" pdf. In that document, the "headlines" were various sizes and weights of Avenir, and the body text was 12-point Palatino. Also, the font used on the cover and title pages was ITC Benguiat Std.

@smadell  I just looked at my download of "Ten Thousand Feet" and I don't think the font is the same. I was referring to your PDF regarding the Reticulated Gradient Maps.  By the way, I think "Ten Thousand Feet" should be bumped again!!  Can't find it!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

23 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

By the way, I think "Ten Thousand Feet" should be bumped again!!  Can't find it!

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q="ten thousand feet"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=11

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi again, @jmwellborn. I assumed you were talking about the "10,000 Feet" pdf only because we had talked about it so much at the time. Also, it didn't occur to me that I had included a pdf with the Reticulated Gradient Map macro. Anyway, you're right – the fonts are different.

The pdf that I included with the Reticulated Gradient Map macro uses Goudy Old Style, boldface for the headers and regular for the body text. I think that the attractive thing about the font is the "old style" variation; it gives it a different look that I like quite a bit.

Also, the Ten Thousand Feet book can be located at:

Good to hear from you again.

@smadell  Ah ha! I have been rooting through Typeface, and was pretty sure it was Goudy Old Style.  The tail on the '"y" is the giveaway.  Thank you so much!!