You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

macOS "Recents" Folder not showing Affinity files

Which Mac version are you running? but in any case I haven't heard of a bug where certain file type don't get listed!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You could try the steps in this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254455790?sortBy=best

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

18 minutes ago, stateazure said:

I am running macOS Sonoma 14.1.2. Thanks for the Apple Support reference, unfortunately those terminal commands didn't change this issue for me.

Sorry to hear that, have you looked under the system settings (Siri & Spotlight) to make sure all the spotlight search result options are checked?

10 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Thanks, but these settings are for the menu bar. The MacMost video is interesting but about finding folders.

Interestingly, I can create a Smart Folder for .afdesign or .afphoto files and find them just fine, but macOS default "Recents" folder, which is a essentially a search query, can't find them.

I thought I would look at my recents and sure enough my Affinity files weren't listed but if I did a search and selected recents, they were shown.

image.thumb.png.7e0fc1d27916770b483a2158177f38e7.png

Well, that’s interesting, it’s not a feature of Finder I normally have active but turning it on just now and I too find the same thing; no Affinity files show up!
But it's not just Affinity files not showing?
Only items with common; Text, Image, Video or Audio file extensions are shown for me.
The only exception to this, that I have found so far, are for the app Glyphs, it's own .glyphs files are shown.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Clicking on the Cog icon in the Finder window and choosing;  Show Search Criteria, the default criteria would appear to be for my system as shown here:

ResentsFolder.png.59a7a058f59a8896fd3f8a1e44b158ed.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

25 minutes ago, markw said:

Well, that’s interesting, it’s not a feature of Finder I normally have active but turning it on just now and I too find the same thing; no Affinity files show up!
But it's not just Affinity files not showing?
Only items with common; Text, Image, Video or Audio file extensions are shown for me.
The only exception to this, that I have found so far, are for the app Glyphs, it's own .glyphs files are shown.

A few more installed app files that are list in recents

• Scrivener .scriv
  • Snagit .snagx

I list these as they are not your pdf, pages, heic, dmg etc files.

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

A few more installed app files that are list in recents

• Scrivener .scriv
  • Snagit .snagx

Just found common Word file extensions like .doc and .docx are show as well. Still looking...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

13 hours ago, DWright said:

The recent files list in Finder is a smart folder that uses metadata from the files it may not be reading the last used file in our save files correctly and is not showing these files in the recent list, I will ask our QA team about this.

I also don't see Affinity files in my recent folder at all, which should be filled with Affinity Designer entries. Documents and files from all my other programs appear there.

Please feel free to follow up on this, I have for months on the iPad wondered what I could and could not find in recent, and have instead opened my files the hard way directly from the folders.

Running latest macOS/iPadOS on recent hardware.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

The configuration of the search for "Recents" might need to get customized. Its code contains more than the displayed 'logical expression' ('RAW query') mentioned by @markw, …

(kMDItemLastUsedDate = "*") && ((kMDItemContentTypeTree = public.content) || (kMDItemContentTypeTree = "com.microsoft.*"cdw) || (kMDItemContentTypeTree = public.archive))

… which for instance to me also finds Outlook contacts in particular … while I can't notice any kind of "recent" in the results but rather coincidentally dates. (the oldest offered results were last modified in 2011).

searchrecents.thumb.jpg.bcb37ca0d6538fffdffe3d13b903aee7.jpg

Instead another search setting may be easier to achieve, for instance with a search for creating application + modification date.
If I understand right the attached .savedSearch file will show on any mac ("This mac") all Affinity documents that were modified within the last 30 days:

affinity 30 days.savedSearch

searchaffinity30days.jpg.9549a7d1ea16883ff5adcfa4fa8c141a.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@DWright

I can say with certainty that:

macOS, latest:

• all files I open from the desktop, documents, transfers, etc. from other applications appear in Finder the moment I save them
  • Files from Affinity v1 and v2 do not appear at all when I save files

iPadOS, latest:

• same pattern, other programs' documents appear in recent as soon as I save
  • Files from Affinity v2 ipadOS do not appear in Finder, recent when I save them
  • However, I do see Affinity files opened and saved on my mac in recent on iPadOS!
  • Conversely, I don't see Affinity files opened on my iPad in macOS, Finder, recent

I can also safely say that my setup is most likely pretty much standard out-of-the-box-plain-vanilla-boring, as I've outgrown tinkering and customisation with age, unless it enhances my workflows, so root cause must be within the scope of the normal Affinity and macOS setups.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Brrr, the ball is definitely in Serif's court now when it comes to solving the problem or pointing at issues within macOS. 

56 minutes ago, stateazure said:

"Recents depends on the kMDItemLastUsedDate metadata being set with some value. Many third-party apps do not set that metadata..."

Where are you quoting from?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, stateazure said:

"Recents depends on the kMDItemLastUsedDate metadata being set with some value. Many third-party apps do not set that metadata..."

Nevertheless, using the mdls command in Terminal on an AD file I just modified & saved a few minutes ago with the  -name kMDItemLastUsedDate filter returns

kMDItemLastUsedDate = 2023-12-18 19:41:46 +0000

... yet it is not listed in Finder's Recents 'smart folder' nor AFAIK is any other Affinity file.

Normal 'dumb' Finder windows like the one this file is in does show in the Date Modified field the current date & local time for that file, as does the Get Info window, but weirdly in both Finder & Get Info Created also shows that same date, not the date when I first created that file over a year ago.

In fact, according to mdls every item with a date/time value (there are 12 of them) shows that same 2023-12-18 19:41:46 value.

I have no idea what to make of all this!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7