You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Power Duplicate and Quick Grids - Tutorial for Affinity Designer

Hello TrentL,
Thank you very much for your great videos. Your videos are really well explained and I was able to learn some useful things. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. 😃

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

This function is great but to it would be perfect with "Duplicate on path" and "Duplicate on surface".

Actually, when I need to duplicate diamonds on a specific path, I use… Cinema 4D (3D software) because we can duplicate on paths.

I've tried to create a brush with diamonds in Affinity but there is a distorsion : diamonds look like eggs !

Capture d’écran 2023-12-12 à 09.07.12.png

1 hour ago, lenogre said:

"Duplicate on path"

And you can:

1. copy/cut the object you want to duplicate on path
  2. select the curve that will become the path
  3. Layer → Convert To Text Path
  4. paste into the text path ("technically" pinned as Inline In Text as known from Publisher, see the Layers panel)
  5. paste
  6. paste

If the path is long, then after every few pastes do "select all" to paste multiple.
For flexible manipulation with more available options, this is best done in Publisher where you have both the Pinning as well as the Text Frame panels.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

8 hours ago, loukash said:

And you can:

1. copy/cut the object you want to duplicate on path
  2. select the curve that will become the path
  3. Layer → Convert To Text Path
  4. paste into the text path ("technically" pinned as Inline In Text as known from Publisher, see the Layers panel)
  5. paste
  6. paste

If the path is long, then after every few pastes do "select all" to paste multiple.
For flexible manipulation with more available options, this is best done in Publisher where you have both the Pinning as well as the Text Frame panels.

That is pretty awesome, I never knew about that. Can I make a video on it? Do you want any credit? 

Just now, TrentL said:

Can I make a video on it?

I'm sure you can! ;) 

Just now, TrentL said:

Do you want any credit? 

Hehe, I don't mind either way… but it's not like I have found out something that no one ever knew anything about. :D 
Any design app that supports text on path and inline pinned graphics could do that. I remember doing similar things with FreeHand over 20 years ago.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Here a couple of my earlier "crazy workarounds" on a somewhat similar theme. (That was before we eventually got the long requested "Balanced Dash Pattern" option):

^ In other words, if you want the pattern on path to be easily editable en gros, use Symbols!

^ There are confirmed and logged bugs concerning pinned objects. That might be the reason. I was involved in such a thread just the other day.