You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo V2 is supposed to open heif files so you could try renaming file.hif to file.heif
Otherwise you can use ImageMagick eg
magick file.hif file.tif

which works for V1, good luck

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

• Staff

Hi @Malcolm Tinn,

There's a known issue currently logged with the developers regarding the .HEIF file format not being recognised as valid in the file > open dialog. As an alternative workaround, using the right click > open/open with command from Finder/Windows explorer should enable you to open the files, or drag and dropping the file from Finder/Explorer into the app window will open the file.

Nathan
Thank you for the information.
I have tried almost everything but HEIF files are not recognised using any method.
HEIF Files are from Canon's new model R6 mark ii. The Raw files open without any problem.
Hopefully this issue will be updated in the near future.  
Regards
Malcolm

4 hours ago, Malcolm Tinn said:

I have tried almost everything but HEIF files are not recognised using any method.

As a test, I downloaded the attached sample1.heif file from https://filesamples.com/formats/heif. As @NathanC suggested, neither APub 2 nor AD 2 will open it directly (it's greyed out in the Open dialog) but it will open for me on my Mac if I drag it into an empty app window. It wil also open if I right-click on the file & choose Open With > Other & set Enable: to All Applications so Ican choose any of the 3 Affinity apps (or the 3 betas).

Will this file open for you using any of these workarounds?

sample1.heif

HEIF Files are from Canon's new model R6 mark ii.

Can you attach one of those files so we can test it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Malcolm Tinn said:

I have attached as requested a file from the Canon R6 mark ii.

Just change the extension from ".HIF" to ".HEIF" & it should open fine in AP V2.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 11/1/2023 at 11:11 AM, NathanC said:

Hi @Malcolm Tinn,

There's a known issue currently logged with the developers regarding the .HEIF file format not being recognised as valid in the file > open dialog. As an alternative workaround, using the right click > open/open with command from Finder/Windows explorer should enable you to open the files, or drag and dropping the file from Finder/Explorer into the app window will open the file.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm Tinn said:

I am not sure how to change HIF files to HEIF files.

On Macs, just select one in Finder, use the File > Get Info option or its shortcut & in Info window that opens in the Name & Extensions section change the extension. There will be a prompt asking if you really want to do that so say that you do & the extension will change.

This should work for any filetype extension, so just be sure it makes sense to do that for whatever file you want to change.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Malcolm Tinn said:

Affinity V2 dose not recognise HIF files.

Just change the extension to HEIF using the method I mentioned above & it will open in AP V2 using any of the usual methods like File > Open, right-clicking on the file & choosing AP V2 from the 'open with' list, & so on.

Affinity Photo 

My Affinity Photo v2 opens this file without any problem and without changing the extention.

Right click -> Open with -> Affinity Photo 2

And within Affinty Photo: File -> Open ...

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

8 minutes ago, RM f/g said:

My Affinity Photo v2 opens this file without any problem and without changing the extention.

Right click -> Open with -> Affinity Photo 2

And within Affinty Photo: File -> Open ...

Weird. If I do not change the extension a right click only shows Graphic Converter as an 'open with' choice. Dropping it on the AP V2 dock icon will not open it, but the AP V2 File > Open method does work.

AP V1 will not open the file regardless of the method or extension -- not surprising since AFAIK V1 does not support HEIF at all.

Affinity Photo 

Thanks guys for trying to help but nothing helps. All the files from the basic settings with the Canon "R6 mark ii" are not HEIF files but HIF files and are not recognised by Affinity V2. The JPEG and RAW files open in the normal way. I have tried opening HIF files with a Windows 10 and Windows 11 PC but no luck.

Thanks guys
Malcolm 

All the files from the basic settings with the Canon "R6 mark ii" are not HEIF files but HIF files and are not recognised by Affinity V2.

What happens if you drag a file such as your 9K9A0104.HIF one into an empty AP V2 workspace window (one with no existing document in it)? When I do that the file opens without problems.

Affinity Photo 

@Malcolm Tinn

I have just tried exactly what @R C-R suggests and your file opens for me in APh 2 without a problem.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

7 hours ago, Malcolm Tinn said:

All the files from the basic settings with the Canon "R6 mark ii" are not HEIF files but HIF files ....

But HIF files are HEIF files. See for example https://fileinfo.com/extension/hif or https://www.cameralabs.com/jpeg-vs-heif-canon-hif-comparison/#:~:text=It's the High Efficiency Image,with potentially better quality too. among others.

As mentioned above, AP V2 will open the sample files you provided for other users, whether the extension is HIF or HEIF, but the method may differ a bit depending on which extension they use. So it is not clear why that isn't working for you.

Affinity Photo 

R C-R
Thanks for taking the trouble in helping me with this problem. I have tried everything to open the HIF files in Affinity V2 build 2.2.1 This maybe a Windows problem. I have no problems opening files from my Canon 5D mark ii or my Canon 7D mark ii only form the new Canon R6 mark ii. I have been using Affinity since March 2018 and been very pleased the the results.

All the best
Malcolm

10 minutes ago, Malcolm Tinn said:

This maybe a Windows problem.

Maybe but that does not explain why @emmrecs01 said above that your samples opened OK presumably in Windows 11 from the sig in that post.

What version of Windows are you using?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Malcolm Tinn said:

Thank you for your message I have tried a number of computers with Windows 10 and Windows 11 both working with the latest updates. Not recognising the files from the Canon R6 mark ii. 

How specifically are you trying to open them? Are you sure you are using Affinity Photo version 2 to do that?

Affinity Photo 

On 11/6/2023 at 8:38 PM, Malcolm Tinn said:

Nathan
Thank you for your reply. The Canon R6 mark ii in the basic settings saves images as HIF and Not HEIF. Affinity V2 dose not recognise HIF files. Raw Images open without any problem

9K9A0104.HIF 10.98 MB · 9 downloads

I could only get this to open in APhoto  by changing the file name to .Heic  This is on Win 11 with APhoto 2.2.1

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

I am a little confused. The file 9K9A0037.HIF as supplied by @Malcolm Tinn opens fine here on Mac OS 12.7.1 using Photo 2 and using File > Open.... or use a Right Click and chose Affinity Photo 2 from the context menu in the Finder.  If I change the File extension to HEIF then the file is greyed out in the Open Dialog,

ScreenShot2023-11-08at8_17_59AM.png.489c6c68dcb2a5b4fd312b82c6f74ff5.png

but it will open with the Finder's right click context menu.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, Chills said:

I could only get this to open in APhoto  by changing the file name to .Heic  This is on Win 11 with APhoto 2.2.1

Same question I asked Malcolm: how specifically are you trying to open the file when it has the .HIF extension?

For example did you try dragging it into an empty workspace window? If so, what happens?

Affinity Photo