You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am a little confused.

Weird! I get very different results, like a right-click on the HIF version not showing AP V2 as an 'open with' option but available (not greyed out) from File > Open.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Weird! I get very different results, like a right-click on the HIF version not showing AP V2 as an 'open with' option but available (not greyed out) from File > Open.

Must be down to our having different OSes for our Macs.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Same question I asked Malcolm: how specifically are you trying to open the file when it has the .HIF extension?

For example did you try dragging it into an empty workspace window? If so, what happens?

I can drag and drop it as an hif file into Photo and it opens,  To open it by "file->open"  or "file->place"  I have to rename it to .heic

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Must be down to our having different OSes for our Macs.

Maybe so, but it is weird that it is so different for them. FWIW, with the .HIF extension what does 'Get Info' on your Mac show for the file kind? For me it just says "Canon HDR document."

5 minutes ago, Chills said:

I can drag and drop it as an hif file into Photo and it opens,  To open it by "file->open"  or "file->place"  I have to rename it to .heic

Good to know. So it will open for you with at least one method but not via the expected File menu choices. It still is unclear why it will not open for @Malcolm Tinn even if renamed with the .HEIF extension.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

... FWIW, with the .HIF extension what does 'Get Info' on your Mac show for the file kind? For me it just says "Canon HDR document."...

.HIF Kind: HEIF Image, the same as the .HEIF duplicated and renamed file extension file. The get info windows are identical with the exception of the E which I added in the file extension.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

39 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

.HIF Kind: HEIF Image, the same as the .HEIF duplicated and renamed file extension file. The get info windows are identical with the exception of the E which I added in the file extension.

So I guess this is something to do with our different OS versions ... but it still does not explain all the differences like you not being able to open the HEIF version from the File > Open menu. That should work!

Affinity Photo