You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 10/25/2023 at 8:15 AM, Ben said:

Yes - the construction for a Phi spiral would be fundamentally different to Fibonacci.  The Fibonacci we build from the centre following the sequence.  A Phi spiral would be a constant scaling from the outside.  I'll have a think.

Actually - try using the Decaying spiral, set "Decay per segment" and use 100-(100/phi) for the Decay value. I could probably add this as a preset.

We do have a continuous spiral - it's the plotted one.  Each point is correctly placed.  Currently it's line segments only (though you can increase that to add accuracy).  If I can figure out the maths for correct(ish) curve segments I'll add it.

Hey @Ben One more question about types of spirals:

Can the tool can produce polygonal spirals based on a simple recursive / flip pattern....? Below is an example of these spirals using 3-9 sided polygons, recursively scaled and flipped, creating the spiral as the blue line advances across each consecutive polygon while rotating around the center...

image.thumb.png.d5ec812a473ad0dbf49c82cd905ab3cd.png

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

8 hours ago, zakcat said:

I'm using iPad AD 2.2.1 I'm not seeing a spiral tool in shapes.

Welcome to the forums @zakcat

This thread is in a Beta testing section of the forums, specifically for the 2.3 beta.

Look at the breadcrumbs at the top of the page to see where you are in the forums.

For example: Home > Beta Software Forumsv2.3 New Features and Improvements > Spiral Tool

The spiral tool is currently only available in the 2.3 beta.

This is why you can’t see that tool in 2.2.1.

On 11/10/2023 at 4:04 PM, ronnyb said:

Can the tool can produce polygonal spirals based on a simple recursive / flip pattern....? Below is an example of these spirals using 3-9 sided polygons, recursively scaled and flipped, creating the spiral as the blue line advances across each consecutive polygon while rotating around the center...

image.thumb.png.d5ec812a473ad0dbf49c82cd905ab3cd.png

It can, but you'll need to calculate the decay percentage for a given polygon: cusped decaying spirals.afdesign

cuspeddecayingspiralsscreenshot.thumb.png.ff8969855f5900fef2c2f9b9007bcb98.png

7 hours ago, lepr said:

calculate the decay percentage for a given polygon

Thanks @lepr

So from your example file, am i correct in calculating the decay angle for this type of spiral as ½ of the encompassing polygon’s corner angle?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

am i correct in calculating the decay angle for this type of spiral as ½ of the encompassing polygon’s corner angle?

The segment angle for the spiral is ½ of the exterior angle of the polygon, so that's 180/n, where n is the number of sides of the polygon.

1 hour ago, lepr said:

The segment angle for the spiral is ½ of the exterior angle of the polygon, so that's 180/n, where n is the number of sides of the polygon.

Got it... and how did u figure out the "Decay Ratio" to be 93.75%?

20 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Got it... and how did u figure out the "Decay Ratio" to be 93.75%?

93.75% is the decay of the radius for one turn of a 4-gon spiral only. It's different for each n-gon.

Instead of explaining how to calculate the per-turn decay for an n-gon spiral, it's easier to tell you to use the per-segment decay option and enter the expression "1-cos(a)", without quote marks and where a is the segment angle.

16 minutes ago, lepr said:

Instead of explaining how to calculate the per-turn decay for an n-gon spiral, it's easier to tell you to use the per-segment decay option and enter the expression "1-cos(a)", without quote marks and where a is the segment angle.

Ok I duplicated your existing Spiral in Artboard1 in your sample file, and input the formula as specified (no quotes and 45 for the cos value) into the Decay% field and I get something very different (in green) and gives me a decay of 29.28% ...?

image.png

34 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Ok I duplicated your existing Spiral in Artboard1 in your sample file, and input the formula as specified (no quotes and 45 for the cos value) into the Decay% field and I get something very different (in green) and gives me a decay of 29.28% ...?

You've used the per-turn decay option. I told you to use the per-segment decay option and the "1 - cos(a)" expression.

• Staff

The issue "[Win] Spiral Tool: Decay text label cannot be dragged on Windows" (REF: AF-1105) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2139".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

On the Context Toolbar there's a + icon between the Turns field and the "Set the percentage of the partial turn of the spiral" field:

image.png.56507784e0e2c50cbf2bb4cf0863cc8d.png

It doesn't seem to have a Tooltip. Clicking it doesn't seem to make a change to any of the spiral designs I've tried, nor the parameters, but I see that the History panel records "Set spiral part turn amount".

What is it doing?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What is it doing?

It is adding to the starting (or centre) point a bunch of degrees. If you have 4 turns and set that to be 360 degrees then you have 5 turns. Change it to 90 degrees and the starting point is now at 90 degrees to the end (or outer) point.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It is adding to the starting (or centre) point a bunch of degrees. If you have 4 turns and set that to be 360 degrees then you have 5 turns. Change it to 90 degrees and the starting point is now at 90 degrees to the end (or outer) point.

Thanks, Bruce, but what "that" are you referring to. There is no value field to go along with the + sign, unless it is the field that follows it, which is in % not degrees.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@walt.farrell, I just noticed you have the type set to decay, this + does nothing there. Set it to Linear or SemiCircular or something other than Fibonacci of Decay. 

Plus here on Mac OS 12.7.1 I do see tooltips.

ScreenShot2023-11-14at8_38_14AM.png.8a57f098110d12bbf39c91db9bcc66d6.pngScreenShot2023-11-14at8_38_21AM.png.0c8e823b1377ab8af8f26b82d2699627.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hey @Ben any updates on getting on-canvas controls for the spiral tool?

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

On 11/14/2023 at 4:44 PM, Old Bruce said:

I just noticed you have the type set to decay, this + does nothing there.

The partial turn angle is effective for all of the spiral styles, but minimum radius of the decaying style needs to be small enough to allow all turns and the partial turn to be drawn.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:40 PM, walt.farrell said:

There is no value field to go along with the + sign, unless it is the field that follows it, which is in % not degrees.

It is that value in the field to the immediate right of the "+". That has tooltip "Set the angle of the partial turn of the spiral" and the value is in degrees in the macOS app.

• Staff

The issue "[macOS] Adjusting Spiral Tool's angle sliders with 6 decimal places seems off." (REF: AF-961) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2139".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

On 11/21/2023 at 10:16 AM, lepr said:

It is that value in the field to the immediate right of the "+". That has tooltip "Set the angle of the partial turn of the spiral" and the value is in degrees in the macOS app.

Thanks. For me, today, it's also in degrees in both Windows and macOS. Not sure why it was in % before.

However, on Windows the + sign seems to act as a button in some way. I can click on it, and the History panel records "Set spiral part turn amount" for each click of the "button", though the field next to it and the spiral itself do not change.

That does not happen on macOS.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. For me, today, it's also in degrees in both Windows and macOS. Not sure why it was in % before.

However, on Windows the + sign seems to act as a button in some way. I can click on it, and the History panel records "Set spiral part turn amount" for each click of the "button", though the field next to it and the spiral itself do not change.

That does not happen on macOS.

The Spiral Tool's Partial Turns field will switch to use percentage if you have enabled 'Use Cusped Segments'.