You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which Affinity Product to Draw House Plan ?

Hi Guys,

I wanted to know can I draw such kind of diagrams in Affinity Photo (Please see the attached document) or do I need a different Affinity Product which can do that ? Basically It is a drawing of a House plan, Not the architectural Level that autocad can do, but somewhat similar to draw House Plan.is there any Affinity Product in which I can do this ?

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Although any Affinity app could create this document, I'd likely recommend using Affinity Designer due to the available Measure, Area & Scale Tools - if required :)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply, any area where I can learn on how to get started with creating floor and room plans using Affinity Designer ?

6 hours ago, augustya said:

... (Please see the attached document)...

Just curious but did you remove your attachment or did it just not get uploaded?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi Guys,

So I was trying to follow this video and recreate the steps mentioned in this video in Affinity Photo, So once I start with a New Project and select the Rectangle Tool and draw a Box as she does I am not later able to draw any other lines replicating Doors and Beds etc.. what am I missing ?

• Staff

The doors in the above video are added using the Pen Tool in Affinity Designer - though the same tool exists in Affinity Photo.

Unfortunately you will need to be more specific as to the steps you are taking and the issue you are having, as the video you've linked simply shows the user clicking with the Pen Tool to add a curve so I'm unsure what you mean by 'I am not later able to draw any other lines' currently.

You can find out more about the Pen Tool here - https://affinity.help/designer2/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Tools/tools_pen.html?title=Pen Tool

17 minutes ago, augustya said:

So I was trying to follow this video and recreate the steps mentioned in this video in Affinity Photo, So once I start with a New Project and select the Rectangle Tool and draw a Box as she does I am not later able to draw any other lines replicating Doors and Beds etc.. what am I missing ?

It shouldn't be a problem, though as @Dan C mentions above I'd highly recommend using Affinity Designer for this type of project. You'd likely have to make a screen recording so we can see what steps you're taking in Photo but you should be able to draw rectangles without any issue...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

For me, Designer is the more appropriate tool for architectural plan design. Look into the "Symbols" feature it allows you to draw, for instance, entry doors or windows, in various sizes, save them to the Symbols palette and drag and insert them multiple times as needed. 

Edit: However, to clarify, if Photo is all you have, you can certainly use it to draw your plan but Designer would be better. Much better than paper and pencil. Certainly as @v_kyr wrote, there are free CAD apps available that would be much better than any Affinity app for your purpose. 

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

Of course Designer is the best one suited therefor. Though due to the lack of embedding measurements directly into drawings, I would use now and yet the free LibreDraw instead, or some free CAD app which should be even better suited for such tasks (...as far as absolute most precise units of measurement are required).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

It shouldn't be a problem, though as @Dan C mentions above I'd highly recommend using Affinity Designer for this type of project. You'd likely have to make a screen recording so we can see what steps you're taking in Photo but you should be able to draw rectangles without any issue...

It is not just about drawing only rectangles after drawing a rectangle I cannot dry other objects inside it. If I do that the rectangle disappears.

20 minutes ago, augustya said:

It is not just about drawing only rectangles after drawing a rectangle I cannot dry other objects inside it. If I do that the rectangle disappears.

That sounds like you are not assigning a stroke to the rectangle, so when you don't have it selected any more it's not visible except in the Layers panel. 

If so, just assign a stroke, and the rectangle should remain visible.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

That sounds like you are not assigning a stroke to the rectangle, so when you don't have it selected any more it's not visible except in the Layers panel. 

If so, just assign a stroke, and the rectangle should remain visible.

So let's say once I select that rectangle shape from the left menu bar in Affinity Photo isn't the Strokes enabled by default ? And once I have the stroke selected, you are saying can I again draw another rectangle or any other object within that earlier drawn rectangle ?

7 minutes ago, augustya said:

So let's say once I select that rectangle shape from the left menu bar in Affinity Photo isn't the Strokes enabled by default ?

Initial defaults can be set or changed via a Defaults system. In addition, the stroke settings are "sticky," meaning whatever stroke width or color you last used will continue to be used until you change them.

13 minutes ago, augustya said:

And once I have the stroke selected, you are saying can I again draw another rectangle or any other object within that earlier drawn rectangle ?

You can draw rectangles or other shapes anywhere you want, including on top of other objects. Each object goes into its own layer, & layers can be grouped, nested, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, augustya said:

So let's say once I select that rectangle shape from the left menu bar in Affinity Photo isn't the Strokes enabled by default ? And once I have the stroke selected, you are saying can I again draw another rectangle or any other object within that earlier drawn rectangle ?

Sure. Here's an example in Designer, but Photo works the same way:

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

38 minutes ago, augustya said:

Can you also please tell me if I want to draw two parallel lines within the rectangle denoting a ln entry or exit how do I do that ?

Not sure I understand the question, but wouldn't you just use the Pen Tool to draw a line, and the Stroke panel to set an arrowhead if needed?

-- Walt
PC:

23 minutes ago, augustya said:

Can you also please tell me if I want to draw two parallel lines within the rectangle denoting a ln entry or exit how do I do that ?

If you just want to draw straight lines, you can use the Pen Tool set to Line mode in the Context Toolbar. To make 2 parallel lines, one way is to draw the first one, duplicate it, & using the Move Tool drag it to the desired spacing from the first one. Using the Move Tool you can also clone the first one (refer to the Status Bar at the bottom of the window to see which modifier key to use for this), dragging it to the new location in one step.

You can use snapping, grids, and/or guides to make sure your lines remain parallel.

Affinity Photo 

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If you just want to draw straight lines, you can use the Pen Tool set to Line mode in the Context Toolbar. To make 2 parallel lines, one way is to draw the first one, duplicate it, & using the Move Tool drag it to the desired spacing from the first one. Using the Move Tool you can also clone the first one (refer to the Status Bar at the bottom of the window to see which modifier key to use for this), dragging it to the new location in one step.

You can use snapping, grids, and/or guides to make sure your lines remain parallel.

Perhaps this is what I was looking for.

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not sure I understand the question, but wouldn't you just use the Pen Tool to draw a line, and the Stroke panel to set an arrowhead if needed?

I tried the Pen Tool, but what is happening with the Pen Tool, the Moment I draw one line in the Rectangle using the Pen Tool it does not allow me to draw another Line simple because it starts modifying/working on the earlier made line only.

Just now, augustya said:

I tried the Pen Tool, but what is happening with the Pen Tool, the Moment I draw one line in the Rectangle using the Pen Tool it does not allow me to draw another Line simple because it starts modifying/working on the earlier made line only.

Make sure you are using Line mode when drawing simple (two node) lines. In Line mode the first click sets the starting point of the line & the second one both sets its end point & deselects the curve so that the next click starts a new line. Alternately, just tap the Escape key after setting the second node to deselect the curve so the next click will not add a new node to the curve.

I suggest you read more about creating curves & shapes with the Pen Tool in the Draw Curves and Shapes help topic.

Affinity Photo 

On 8/14/2023 at 2:05 PM, augustya said:

is there any Affinity Product in which I can do this ?

If you want to use Affinity to learn how to do something, you can. If you need to draw quickly, you can use draw.io. It's a free program. There is an online version, as well as a desktop version for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Online version here https://app.diagrams.net/

Desktop https://www.drawio.com/

You can export in svg and then edit in Designer.

draw.thumb.PNG.a43c639c731cfe63e6786e66581acb68.PNG