You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask edge feathered - how?

7 minutes ago, marble51 said:

Yes, that's how I did it in the end but I thought there might be a way of feathering the edge as I can with selections.

Hello @marble51,

since it is a vector object you are using as a mask you have to work differently. Basically applying blur to a vector object is the equivalent to feathering a selection. A selection is a representation of pixels. That is the difference.

The advantage of using a vector object is that you can edit its shape at any time. Even with the blur effect on. You can even use compounds of multiple vector objects as a mask.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Yes, unfortunately, for this blur effect we can set its width only – but not influence its 'pressure curve' within the blurred area.

As workaround you can play with copies with same or different blur values. Additionally you can alter the object size or add a transparency gradient fill. In this example the masking rectangles have all the same height …

blurredvectormask.jpg.56e0288f5aeca209c5a95a938fc9ed28.jpg

… or use a copy of the masked object and blur this, too.

blurredvectormaskimage.jpg.7c8a4cfb62a35e8dd233cc522e404373.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

You can somehow use a curves adjustment set to alpha channel to set a pressure profile.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

35 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

You can somehow use a curves adjustment set to alpha channel to set a pressure profile.

Nice idea. While this way the mask corners get affected more obvious ... and rounded:

blurredvectormaskalphaadjustment.thumb.jpg.308fb8be84df62a525e1553519d0b1ed.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

12 hours ago, marble51 said:

I watched a tutorial about creating a mask using one of the vector shapes. Is there a way to feather the edges of that vector mask?

8 hours ago, marble51 said:

Yes, that's how I did it in the end but I thought there might be a way of feathering the edge as I can with selections.

Based on your second post I am going to assume you are using Photo. Draw your shape with whatever vector tool you want. Go to Select > Selection from layer and then go to Select > Feather and feather the selection, make a mask from the selection.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Based on your second post I am going to assume you are using Photo. Draw your shape with whatever vector tool you want. Go to Select > Selection from layer and then go to Select > Feather and feather the selection, make a mask from the selection.

Sorry, I should have explained that in my second comment because that's how (Selection from Layer) I eventually got there. I know there is a big conceptual difference between selections and shapes/curves but I thought there might be an easier way that I was not seeing in any tutorials. NVM, at least I can always refer back to this thread for a reminder.

I think theis might be the thing I was looking for but, alas, this is for Photoshop :(

The vast majority of that video has nothing to do with 'adding a feather to the shape'.
The whole thing could have been done in a 15-(ish)-second clip, rather than almost 4 minutes of someone doing mostly unnecessary things for the purposes of demonstrating that one functionality.
I’ve attached a video which shows the same result in AD (can be done in AP and APu too) but done quite a lot more quickly.

Also, there’s nothing in the video which gives us any indication of a reason why the Photoshop result is different/better than simply adding a Blur Effect in the Affinity applications.

Can you give us some reasons why adding a Blur Effect doesn’t get you the result you want, other than it just happening differently?
Is there something that we are missing from your requirements?

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

The whole thing could have been done in a 15-(ish)-second clip, rather than almost 4 minutes of someone doing mostly unnecessary things for the purposes of demonstrating that one functionality.

The music was soothing, though.  :D