You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Select All on Current Layer" added to Select menu

4 hours ago, lepr said:

nearest ancestor Layer of the red rectangle

But is the nearest ancestor Layer truly the current one, or is the topmost Layer which is an ancestor of the selected item the current one, or are all three layers current since they are all ancestors of the selected item?

What if there are items selected on two different layers which are both at the top level?

This is what I was trying to get at: the entire concept of the "current Layer" is somewhat ambiguous.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what would be REALLY USEFUL would be a "Select All in Group" option. Often you want to modify, say, all text objects in a group and currently it is necessary to open the group (in the layers panel) and select the layers manually.

Sometimes I wonder whether your product designers / programmers actually use these tools (a complaint also applicable to Adobe BTW). Do they?

13 hours ago, Paul Howson said:

Often you want to modify, say, all text objects in a group and currently it is necessary to open the group (in the layers panel) and select the layers manually.

It is curious to me that you can't simply select the group and make the desired changes.  You can, for example, select a group of shapes and choose a color to apply that color to all of the shapes in the group, so why could you not select a group of text objects and choose a text style, or a font, to apply it to all of the text objects in the group?

That omission seems both inconsistent and unnecessary.

• 2 weeks later...

The Select All and Select All on Current Layer functions don't work correctly.
If I have a group and hidden layers in the group, I click the Select All button, it selects only the visible layers. It doesn't show the selection. Why? If it's "All", then it selects the invisible ones as well. If I change the color of these selected objects, the color of ALL objects changes, regardless of whether they are visible or not.
If so, why can't I then click on the group to turn on the invisible layers? They are theoretically all selected.

If the layers are outside the group, then ALL selects only the visible ones. But that's not all of them.

• Staff
3 hours ago, anto said:

The Select All and Select All on Current Layer functions don't work correctly.
If I have a group and hidden layers in the group, I click the Select All button, it selects only the visible layers. It doesn't show the selection. Why? If it's "All", then it selects the invisible ones as well. If I change the color of these selected objects, the color of ALL objects changes, regardless of whether they are visible or not.
If so, why can't I then click on the group to turn on the invisible layers? They are theoretically all selected.

Hi Anto,

The behaviour you're showing is all By Design and as intended:

• You highlight that 'Select Hidden Objects' is ticked in two sub menus. - These are found in the submenus for Select Same and Select Object and relate ONLY to the options in the submenus. So turning off Select Hidden Objects in Select same will prevent you from using Select Same > Stroke Colour to select all objects including hidden ones with the same stroke colour as you've got selected.
  • Applying a colour (or other attribute) to a Group will apply that to all objects inside that group.
  • Select All matches the same behaviour found in other similar applications such as Illustrator, InkScape and VectorStyler. It never considers objects that are hidden. This has been the same behaviour throughout the lifetime of Affinity.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Applying a colour (or other attribute) to a Group will apply that to all objects inside that group.

I did not select group. I chose Select All, which, according to your logic, shouldn't have selected invisible layers, but it did.

• Staff
33 minutes ago, anto said:

I did not select group. I chose Select All, which, according to your logic, shouldn't have selected invisible layers, but it did.

Your document contains a group of objects. If you look at your video between 28 and 34 seconds you used Select All. Because Groups and its children cannot be selected at the same time, the Group wins priority of selection. Notice the blue highlight moves from the object to the group, and none of the children are highlighted to indicate selection. Again this behaviour is the same as Illustrators.
image.png

11 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Because Groups and its children cannot be selected at the same time, the Group wins priority of selection.

Thanks.

Can I Select All invisible objects (select by visibility) and delete them or group?

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to achieve this off the top of my head.

Would something like "inverse selected layers" work? Just occurred to me when reading this but I know nothing about how the programming might happen. 

54 minutes ago, nomi02118 said:

Would something like "inverse selected layers" work? Just occurred to me when reading this but I know nothing about how the programming might happen. 

A select deselected (select inverse) with select hidden checked 🤔

That would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/11/2023 at 6:39 AM, Paul Howson said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but what would be REALLY USEFUL would be a "Select All in Group" option. Often you want to modify, say, all text objects in a group and currently it is necessary to open the group (in the layers panel) and select the layers manually.

Sometimes I wonder whether your product designers / programmers actually use these tools (a complaint also applicable to Adobe BTW). Do they?

The lack of a select all object on the current level is driving me crazy. The most frequent usage scenario for me is that I group a bunch of objects and later have to select them all to make a change.

There IS only manual selection of them. Kein Pardon. It's incredibly impractical, and it's especially painful on the iPad to select a bunch of objects this way - even with a keyboard connected, you're screwed.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

1 hour ago, Bitarts said:

The lack of a select all object on the current level is driving me crazy. The most frequent usage scenario for me is that I group a bunch of objects and later have to select them all to make a change.

Select one of them.

Then, with the Move Tool, with the Context Toolbar set to Default or Group, click it again. Everything in the Group is selected. (V2 function)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Select one of them.

Then, with the Move Tool, with the Context Toolbar set to Default or Group, click it again. Everything in the Group is selected. (V2 function)

No effect - macOS

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

1 minute ago, Bitarts said:

No effect - macOS

Screenshot?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Screenshot?

Here ya go:

Sorry; you need to be clicking on the object, not the Layers panel.

-- Walt
PC:

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry; you need to be clicking on the object, not the Layers panel.

Oh I tried that too - nothin' 

4 hours ago, anto said:

What exactly doesn't work for you?

This exact instruction - using only mouse - no keyboard modifier.

Select one of them.

@Bitarts I'm guessing you want to select all of the objects that are inside a Group rather than select the Group itself.

If you have an object of a Group selected, then cmd+A (Select All) will select it and all of its peers, and nothing else, if Edit All Layers is disabled.

Edit All Layers is toggled with the little button in bottom left corner of Layers panel. It does not appear in any menu and cannot be assigned a keyboard shortcut, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, anto said:

If you want to select all the elements of a group with the mouse only, then click on the group itself, as I did in the video.

If you select the group only the group element is selected - not the individual elements - and if you alter values like FX for the group and later move one single object from the group to another group - it won't have this FX value.

So I am looking for an easy shortcut to select all individual elements on the current level in the layers hierarchy. In several use cases. Typically inside a group.

It would really be helpful on the iPad.