You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher automatic sequential numbers

Good morning,
I would like to create  raffle tickets for a kindergarten in Affinity Publisher 2.1, for this I need consecutive numbering.

I print several raffle tickets on a DinA4 sheet
Can anyone tell me how to get these sequential numbers automatically? Best if I only have to enter the start number and number of  raffle tickets.

Greetings
Patrick

Edited by Belenus

Welcome to the forums @Belenus

If you can:

• show us what each ticket looks like;
  • tell us how many tickets will be on each page;
  • show us how they are to be arranged on the page;
  • tell us where the number should be on each ticket;
  • tell us the format of the numbering system;
  • tell us what number you want to start with;
  • tell us how many tickets you need to create;

...then someone should be able to give you further advice.

There will be 9 tickets on each page and I will need round about 300 ticket at all.
So I will print 34 pages with tickets.

The number format will be in 100 with beginning 0 so 001 ... 099 ...300

normally I will start with 0 but if we receive more donations, we may have to reprint again, e.g. from 301 image.png.db92465798b88f73bfc14b46f96a9651.png

Open your graphic with 9 images in Publisher
For each ticket add an art text, I use 888 to set spacing and font size
Data merge manager: select the file
Fields panel: substitute the 888's for the relevant field

image.png.16c37c213a0fa453de42a8b9a2e298c2.png

Generate
Export to pdf

Random sample
image.png.62c68851d53a279c0fd668c0b501b68a.png

If you're using Excel use a cell format 00# to get the leading zeros, save as csv and use that in the datamerge, I've attached a csv that runs from 001 to 999

RaffleTickets.csv

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

• Staff

If you create a paragraph with these options

image.png

It will get sequentially numbered throughout your document.

You can create an empty paragraph in that style and it will give you the numbers.

If you have Designer and StudioLink enabled I would create your ticket in a Symbol and paste it multiple times on the page, alternatively just copy and paste.

Use a master to create a full page of tickets.

Make as many pages as you need and apply the master to all of them.

If you need to make extra tickets either add more pages and just print the pages starting after the ones you already printed or change the value of 'Start numbering at'

Hope that helps,

Mark

5 hours ago, Belenus said:

There will be 9 tickets on each page and I will need round about 300 ticket at all.
So I will print 34 pages with tickets.

The number format will be in 100 with beginning 0 so 001 ... 099 ...300

No need to use the Data Merge.

Make a master page with the design. Make nine linked Frame Text Text Frames for the the Ticket No. Make a Paragraph Style (named Ticket No.) with the Flow setting for Start set to Start in new Frame.

Use a Spreadsheet to make the 300 numbers formatted like you want. Copy them and paste them into the Publisher Document or a Text document. Apply the Ticket No. Paragraph style to the text flow.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.6 
Affinity Designer 2.5.5 | Affinity Photo 2.5.5 | Affinity Publisher 2.5.5 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

47 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

No need to use the Data Merge.

Make a master page with the design.

and

4 hours ago, Mark Daniel said:

If you create a paragraph with these options

image.png

It will get sequentially numbered throughout your document.

You can create an empty paragraph in that style and it will give you the numbers.

The proposed method by Mark Daniel is the most simple.

• 11 months later...

Could someone please tell me how I make the master page? I have the image that I make in Designer but when I bring it in to Publisher it doesn't go where the Master Page should be?

25 minutes ago, HelenG said:

Could someone please tell me how I make the master page? I have the image that I make in Designer but when I bring it in to Publisher it doesn't go where the Master Page should be?

Welcome to the Affinity forums. 

Double-click on the Master Page in the Pages panel to select it, then use File Place to add you file to it 

Or if you don't have any Master Pages, add one using the Pages panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums. 

Double-click on the Master Page in the Pages panel to select it, then use File Place to add you file to it 

Or if you don't have any Master Pages, add one using the Pages panel.

I'm sorry I can't find that 'File Place'. I have done this today already but can't remember how I did it, I've been trying again for ages.

As you can see my Master A is blank, I am trying to add the page to the right to it so I can add the sequential numbered pages.

Sorry if I seem a bit dim, I'm very new to Publisher.

Screenshot 2024-06-07 144541.jpg

Edited by HelenG

Sorry for the lack of clarity. It's Place in the File menu, more often shown here as File > Place.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

6 hours ago, HelenG said:

As you can see my Master A is blank, I am trying to add the page to the right to it so I can add the sequential numbered pages.

I do not understand what you mean by "add the page to the right to it" or "add the sequential numbered pages." Do you mean you want the document pages to have a page number or are you instead talking about adding sequential ticket numbers to each ticket instance on your page 1?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.5 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
A
ll 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Ahh I meant on the left, the top Master A was blank and I couldn't figure out how to add the image to the master A image. I did it once and forgot how I did it! I managed to get the tickets done without that though. I just did the first page and then used duplicate in the pages panel and it added the numbers to the next pages.

To add things to a master page, you should make it the page shown in the workspace window, for instance by double-clicking on its thumbnail in the Pages panel. Then you can add items to it just like you can to document pages.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.5 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
A
ll 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7