You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pencil double tap option to open quick menu [iPad]

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: iPad

It is now possible to assign the double tap pencil gesture to open the Quick menu. You can select what double-tap behaviour you want by going to Settings -> Pencil -> Double Tap Action.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known Issues

No known issues at this time.

Further known issues will be added to this list as they are reported to us by customers in this thread.

Fixed Issues

• AFP-5958 - [iPad] It's possible to call multiple Quick Menus with the Pencil's double tap feature
  • AFD-6499 - [iPad] It's not possible to close the Quick Menu with the Pencil's double tap feature

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I don't think this question is "for you", as I think this is an Apple issue, but I guess it causes no harm to ask.

Who determines the sensitivity of the double tap action? Is it at app level (ie. it's something you can control within Affinity) or is it at operating system level (ie. this is all on Apple's hands)?

I have the double tap functionality disabled because I inadvertently trigger it all the time. The way to solve this for me would be to make the double tap trigger using a very fast gesture. I'd need to intentionally double tap the Pencil very fast for it to trigger. I've checked iPadOS accessibility options and the only thing available is make it trigger with even slower double taps! 🤣

I don't think this is something you can fix, I think this is at OS level, but like I said, no harm in asking.

P.S.: I was nodding my head to all the changes listed for 2.1. Very well done, they are all really nice QoL improvements that are much needed. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the pencil settings screen, maybe add an option under the TOOL and DOUBLE TAP ACTION dropdown menus that could be worded: "Double tap enables quick menu by default" - which would gray out the individual TOOL and DOUBLE TAP ACTION dropdowns, and enable the double tap menu on double click for all tools in one action (since doing it one by one for each tool would be a chore and some users might want this menu to come up no matter what tool they're using). 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

Slightly unrelated, but still an idea for the pencil double-tap settings, do you think it would be a good idea to add all the options in the TOOL dropdown into the DOUBLE TAP ACTION dropdown? That way we could setup tool combos, like double tapping on PEN always enables NODE, regardless of what the previous tool was used? I use something similar on desktop where i set the F key to hot switch the PEN and NODE tools for easy access while drawing. 

Sorry if this isn't specific to the quick menu, but i figured its related since we're talking about the Pencil settings menu. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery