You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

WE NEED RIGHT TO LEFT PLEASE!!!
Waiting for years now and still no native solution.

Who need RTL please comment down to reach dev team as soon as possible.

I have V1 and V2 and not working on both

Thanks

Please note we dont need 3th party apps or softwares. we need a native fix which can be done easly by a short code that reverse letters.

Capture d’écran 2023-01-19 195205.jpg

Hi Mehdy and welcome to the forum.

There are many threads on this topic, just search for RTL or Right to Left or the names of any of the various languages that would benefit from RTL text. Here's a link to over 90 posts on RTL just since the launch of v2 in November. I think Serif is very much aware of how many people want RTL.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=rtl&quick=1&search_and_or=and&start_after=1667952000&sortby=relevancy

But I want to dispel the notion that it is "done easily by a short code that reverses letters". Building in support for RTL from the start is straightforward. Adding it after the app is already built is a lot of work because it affects everything. RTL can be applied to paragraphs and ranges of characters so text direction can be reversed even within a paragraph. It affects tables, story direction, page binding, page numbering, and much more.

I have no inside information but I wouldn't expect RTL to be added in a minor update. This complex of feature would likely be part of a major upgrade.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Also not an insider, but I'm inclined to believe Serif is regretting how some things were initially written into the programs, otherwise RTL would've maybe at least been in the oven by now. We were told it would be quite a bit before it's added in. This admission already came due to many users like yourself, @mehdy, had noticed it was still missing in V2. So you are definitely not alone as many others have also requested this feature.

In Twitter, they have said it would require a rewrite of the text engine, but we don't know the details other than it would take a "long time". They have mentioned they are working on adding in scripting as well, an MSI installer and fixing a multitude of bugs, so we truly have no idea when any other features will be addressed.

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

Hi Mehdy and welcome to the forum.

There are many threads on this topic, just search for RTL or Right to Left or the names of any of the various languages that would benefit from RTL text. Here's a link to over 90 posts on RTL just since the launch of v2 in November. I think Serif is very much aware of how many people want RTL.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=rtl&quick=1&search_and_or=and&start_after=1667952000&sortby=relevancy

But I want to dispel the notion that it is "done easily by a short code that reverses letters". Building in support for RTL from the start is straightforward. Adding it after the app is already built is a lot of work because it affects everything. RTL can be applied to paragraphs and ranges of characters so text direction can be reversed even within a paragraph. It affects tables, story direction, page binding, page numbering, and much more.

I have no inside information but I wouldn't expect RTL to be added in a minor update. This complex of feature would likely be part of a major upgrade.

Thank you so much for your reply, what Mean by short code is a simple text input that reverse it, I will explain more when you type RTL the software read it as LTR okay, so in a little window inside affinity they can add a simple box for input then it give us an output as reversed text, I hope you understand, I found a simple way to do that and I've made a video on youtube i will join it bellow, 

I'm not talking about major updates just a simple box that reverse text then we copy and past it you will understand more by watching my video

37 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

Also not an insider, but I'm inclined to believe Serif is regretting how some things were initially written into the programs, otherwise RTL would've maybe at least been in the oven by now. We were told it would be quite a bit before it's added in. This admission already came due to many users like yourself, @mehdy, had noticed it was still missing in V2. So you are definitely not alone as many others have also requested this feature.

In Twitter, they have said it would require a rewrite of the text engine, but we don't know the details other than it would take a "long time". They have mentioned they are working on adding in scripting as well, an MSI installer and fixing a multitude of bugs, so we truly have no idea when any other features will be addressed.

https://youtu.be/zVLIJlxjj6w

Thanks to everyone, We love Affinity and We wish they help us with RTL

Oh, if you just want the characters reversed to ease typing into a text then that wouldn't be as hard. It should be possible to write a script for this when Serif adds scripting to Affinity which they've said is in development. I'll give it a try if nobody else does.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 minute ago, PaoloT said:

A bit later, you show a workaround. Isn't RTL Fixer a cleaner, faster solution?

Paolo

Im still looking because I spent my time looking for solution as soon as I find more I will share instantly 
RTL Fixer its a paid sotware wht we dont have same thing as I show integrated in Affinity softwares why we need 3th party apps ??

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

Oh, if you just want the characters reversed to ease typing into a text then that wouldn't be as hard. It should be possible to write a script for this when Serif adds scripting to Affinity which they've said is in development. I'll give it a try if nobody else does.

Thank you so much Mr mike We will appreciate that and will save us time. wishing you all the best ♥

8 minutes ago, mehdy said:

why we need 3th party apps ??

You need them because you've chosen to use an application (Affinity suite) that doesn't support your needs by itself.

Your other choice, besides supplementing your Affinity apps with a third-party app, is to pick a different app completely.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You need them because you've chosen to use an application (Affinity suite) that doesn't support your needs by itself.

Your other choice, besides supplementing your Affinity apps with a third-party app, is to pick a different app completely.

No We don't need them, It's okay if you need them by yourself but why we pay extra money for something like RTL apps? So my fix and workaround do the best and make my job done so why pay more! If I can get it and evey thing that I need others can't right? 

My self I like Serif software and I believe that they do thier best for the community, No subscription, and constant updates.... 

Thank you Mr Walt for you point of view I really appreciate it.

Best regards

10 hours ago, mehdy said:

RTL Fixer its a paid sotware

Its advantage is, however, that you can type directly in Publisher, with no need of exchanging data with Designer. Until there isn't direct support from Publisher, I would think that 30 USD (or less, if you purchase the multi-license) is an acceptable price for an easy solution.

Paolo

33 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

Its advantage is, however, that you can type directly in Publisher, with no need of exchanging data with Designer. Until there isn't direct support from Publisher, I would think that 30 USD (or less, if you purchase the multi-license) is an acceptable price for an easy solution.

Paolo

Hello Paolo

I understand your point of view, I agree if you can buy it, what about my Mac and Ipad? 

Is a native text reverse a good solution or no? 

I hope you understand my point of view, and not all affinity users can afford that 30usd or even less, and there is who still use V1 Mr Paolo, as I explained in the videos there is afree alternative why should me pay extras? RTL is something necessary to have in softwares im my groups where I teach most are interested to get affinity sotfwares but most of them RTL for creating Ads a d retouch photos or even publishing books. That's we need a solution from serif and nor 3th party apps.

Have a lovely day.

One more thing I'm not against the 3th party apps to be understood, but It's a necessary things why we pay extra for it, with that price We can get addons... 

I appreciate the work of all developers that make that apps. 

As I found a free alternative that no one talk about ( in my opinion ) I've made a video in the same minute I found it because of tge community.

Best regards 

15 hours ago, Sam Neil said:

There is a better application that I use on daily basis - https://leomoon.com/downloads/desktop-apps/leomoon-parsinegar/

and best of all it is FREE and updated regularly.

@Sam Neil, Thank you for this tip. I downloaded and tried pasting into my V1 Publisher and it works. No need to use glyphs to individually enter for my preschool level learning of Farsi. Farsi language uses the Arabic alphabets and RTL writing system.

On 1/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, mehdy said:

WE NEED RIGHT TO LEFT PLEASE!!!
Waiting for years now and still no native solution.

Who need RTL please comment down to reach dev team as soon as possible.

I have V1 and V2 and not working on both

Thanks

Please note we dont need 3th party apps or softwares. we need a native fix which can be done easly by a short code that reverse letters.

Capture d’écran 2023-01-19 195205.jpg

@mehdy, Salam! I also support you for wanting Serif to have added RTL language support and major Indic languages from the Indian subcontinent. Correct me if I am wrong, but I read something that an OLDER now deprecated software from Serif support RTL, but their newer coded from the grounds up Affinity do not.

This is like a "kick in the stomach" sort of feeling.

Anyways...yeah. Serif made a HUGE mistake, because of all the potential customers in Arabic-speaking countries, Hebrew-speaking people, and the many Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam speakers of India as potential customers.

2 minutes ago, Ronald N. Tan said:

@Sam Neil, Thank you for this tip. I downloaded and tried pasting into my V1 Publisher and it works. No need to use glyphs to individually enter for my preschool level learning of Farsi. Farsi language uses the Arabic alphabets and RTL writing system.

I'm glad and proud of our community and happy to see everyone sharing their experiences and knowledge.

Special thanks for the community.

2 minutes ago, Ronald N. Tan said:

@mehdy, Salam! I also support you for wanting Serif to have added RTL language support and major Indic languages from the Indian subcontinent. Correct me if I am wrong, but I read something that an OLDER now deprecated software from Serif support RTL, but their newer coded from the grounds up Affinity do not.

This is like a "kick in the stomach" sort of feeling.

Anyways...yeah. Serif made a HUGE mistake, because of all the potential customers in Arabic-speaking countries, Hebrew-speaking people, and the many Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam speakers of India as potential customers.

Maybe in V3 IDK, We can work with free solutions until next updates. I'm working with that website I share on my video for a simple reason which is I don't like extras softwares so I don't trust them. I wish to see serif add a simple box that reverse text somehow for RTL users I will appreciate it because it something necessary

Just now, mehdy said:

Maybe in V3 IDK, We can work with free solutions until next updates. I'm working with that website I share on my video for a simple reason which is I don't like extras softwares so I don't trust them. I wish to see serif add a simple box that reverse text somehow for RTL users I will appreciate it because it something necessary

I have my own personal grievances towards Serif and so I am voicing this dissatisfaction by NOT upgrading or buying V2 and simply continue to use V1 Publisher.

We can only remain positive and hopeful that V3 will support RTL and the much needed Indic languages. :-)

1 minute ago, Ronald N. Tan said:

I have my own personal grievances towards Serif and so I am voicing this dissatisfaction by NOT upgrading or buying V2 and simply continue to use V1 Publisher.

We can only remain positive and hopeful that V3 will support RTL and the much needed Indic languages. 🙂

V2 worth to upgrade it has more futures than V1 ( my personal opinion ) like shape builder tool and style picker and wrapping etc. I get the universal license with that 40% off which I believe will last to 25th of this month.

8 hours ago, Ronald N. Tan said:

all the potential customers in Arabic-speaking countries, Hebrew-speaking people, and the many Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam speakers of India as potential customers.

I would add that not only native speakers would find support for non-Roman languages useful. Even professionals and companies writing in English, or other Roman-based languages, need their creations or products to be delivered worldwide. The omission of large areas of the world makes Publisher unsuitable for this type of job.

I understand how difficult it is to implement this support, and the many years Adobe needed to give imperfect support testifies it. However, I think the importance of this issue shouldn't be underestimated.

Paolo

30 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

I would add that not only native speakers would find support for non-Roman languages useful. Even professionals and companies writing in English, or other Roman-based languages, need their creations or products to be delivered worldwide. The omission of large areas of the world makes Publisher unsuitable for this type of job.

I understand how difficult it is to implement this support, and the many years Adobe needed to give imperfect support testifies it. However, I think the importance of this issue shouldn't be underestimated.

Paolo

Yes !! Advertising companies works worldwide so that's a one of all other reasons that's till now didn't switch.

My hope and best wishes to see Affinity the standard of the market.