You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Process RAW at 300 dpi

Whats the problem with changing DPI later?
It is only metadata, it has no impact to image quality etc.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

3 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

¿Cuál es el problema de cambiar DPI más tarde?
Son solo metadatos, no tienen impacto en la calidad de la imagen, etc.

Thanks for the reply.
It is not a problem if it is a couple of photos, but doing that in a large amount and forever is a waste of time without any sense.

7 hours ago, Tadd said:

I can't find how to process RAW at more than 72 dpi.

If it's Developing to 72 dpi I think that's an indication that your camera says it's 72 dpi. Photo is just believing the camera information.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you Develop to Embedded or Linked (V2) I think the Resource Manager will show the original DPI (300) and the placed DPI (72) as shown below

export23.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

55 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If it's Developing to 72 dpi I think that's an indication that your camera says it's 72 dpi. Photo is just believing the camera information.

I think so too: my Panasonic camera writes .RW2 raw files at a resolution of 180 and that is how the placed images are displayed when developed in Photo.

1933816925_Screenshot2022-12-23at13_09_08.thumb.png.3eff5e2d7bce5d315022964f92d438e4.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

21 minutes ago, h_d said:

I think so too: my Panasonic camera writes .RW2 raw files at a resolution of 180 and that is how the placed images are displayed when developed in Photo.

Can you show us the Resource Manager screen for that same image?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Where does the 300 DPI (on the right) come from?

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Probably because it is placed at a different size, this leads to a different dpi.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 hours ago, Tadd said:

Thanks for the reply.
It is not a problem if it is a couple of photos, but doing that in a large amount and forever is a waste of time without any sense.

Then the best course of action would be to use one of these options:

1. exiftool to change dpi for multiple files (CR2 or JPG)
  2. Try again o use macros in Photo to adjust dpi on Photo, possibly executed as batch job.

Cannon delivers all CR2 files with that 72 dpi setting. You can’t change it in Camera. You can change it by using any App which is capable to change the metadata of image files. The dpi setting has almost no impact, except (don’t know any actual example) apps that actually read dpi to scale images according to dpi on an output device. Almost all apps ignore the dpi and scale the images either full screen, or 1:1 (pixel size).

DPI becomes only relevant when converting from pixel units to physical units of measurement, like cm, mm, inch etc.

6 hours ago, Tadd said:

Why do you need to change the DPI? Like @NotMyFault said above, DPI is not relevant unless an app uses that bit of metadata to scale images or you are concerned with units of measurement for physical output like prints and the printing software does not ignore that, for example when instead it scales to fit a paper size.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

FWIW, from the screenshot, the original DPI is 300 & the placed DPI is 179; neither of which agree with the metadata X/Y resolution of 180.

So I did tests with two of the old AP workbook core skills RW2 files (advanced_adjustments.RW2 & tonal_adjustments.RW2). Both showed 300 DPI as the metadata X/Y resolution. In the AP V2 Resource Manager both showed the original DPI as 300 & 180 as the placed DPI.

So just guessing but is it possible that the original DPI for all(?) RW2 files is interpreted in Affinity as 300?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

179 is presumably a rounding error for 180. 

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

So just guessing but is it possible that the original DPI for all(?) RW2 files is interpreted in Affinity as 300?

Looks like.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

25 minutes ago, h_d said:

179 is presumably a rounding error for 180. 

OK, but why don't I see the same thing with the files I tried?

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Entonces, el mejor curso de acción sería usar una de estas opciones:

1. Exiftool para cambiar dpi para múltiples archivos (CR2 o JPG)
  2. Vuelva a intentarlo o use macros en la foto para ajustar los ppp en la foto, posiblemente ejecutado como un trabajo por lotes.

Cannon entrega todos los archivos CR2 con esa configuración de 72 ppp. No puedes cambiarlo en Cámara. Puede cambiarlo usando cualquier aplicación que sea capaz de cambiar los metadatos de los archivos de imagen. La configuración de dpi casi no tiene impacto, excepto (no conozco ningún ejemplo real) las aplicaciones que realmente leen dpi para escalar imágenes de acuerdo con dpi en un dispositivo de salida. Casi todas las aplicaciones ignoran los dpi y escalan las imágenes a pantalla completa o 1:1 (tamaño de píxel).

DPI solo se vuelve relevante cuando se convierte de unidades de píxeles a unidades físicas de medida, como cm, mm, pulgadas, etc.

Thank you very much for your time.

I normally use Canon, various models and Hasselblad and all of them are native 72dpi. I have used Adobe Lightroom, Phocus, and Capture One, currently I only have Capture One installed on my mac, but it is not able to read Hasselblad RAW files so I try to use Affinity for those files. Well, all those mentioned programs have the possibility of processing RAW with different resolutions, and it is very useful to send works to the laboratory, but it seems that Affinity is not capable of doing it by itself, from what I see in the answers, and do it one by one, it is not torture, but it is a bit annoying. I asked in the forum because I couldn't find how to do that, and of course, I couldn't find it because it doesn't exist.

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

¿Por qué necesita cambiar el DPI? Me gusta@No es mi culpa dicho anteriormente, DPI no es relevante a menos que una aplicación use ese bit de metadatos para escalar imágenes o si le preocupan las unidades de medida para la salida física como las impresiones y el software de impresión no lo ignora, por ejemplo, cuando se escala para adaptarse a un papel Talla.

Hello. I need to change the dpi to send jobs to labs that normally work at 200 dpi when printing and 300 dpi when developed by Lambda or similar processes. It can be done manually, but other programs provide for it and can be selected at export time. Regards

26 minutes ago, Tadd said:

Hello. I need to change the dpi to send jobs to labs that normally work at 200 dpi when printing and 300 dpi when developed by Lambda or similar processes. It can be done manually, but other programs provide for it and can be selected at export time. Regards

Can't you just ask the lab to print the documents at 300 DPI?

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

¿No puede simplemente pedirle al laboratorio que imprima los documentos a 300 DPI?

Different printing or development systems have different operating characteristics. A plotter prints at a different resolution than a Lamda. And we are talking about print resolutions, depending on the characteristics of the medium, between 100 and 300 dpi. It is not the whim of the printer, it is the medium with which it is printed or revealed. The 72 dpi resolution is used primarily for Web publishing.

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Si está Revelando a 72 ppp, creo que es una indicación de que su cámara dice que es de 72 ppp. La foto es solo creer la información de la cámara.

Yes, but Affinity should have an option to change that like other RAW developing programs do.

This may help
exiftool -*Resolution=300 -o dpi300/ *.jpg

will process all jpegs in a folder and store copies with dpi=300 in a sub-folder leaving the originals intact so you can then do
exiftool -*Resolution=200 -o dpi200/ *.jpg
for the others or combine both lines in a batch file

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

21 hours ago, R C-R said:

why don't I see the same thing with the files I tried?

I've tried again with the same image and a couple of other .rw2's and I can't replicate it. Every developed file now shows as 180 resolution in Resource Manager ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 12/22/2022 at 8:42 PM, Tadd said:

Hello. I can't find how to process RAW at more than 72 dpi. I normally use 300 dpi but I don't want to have to change that after RAW processing. Thank you

Just my 2 cents worth here. We process Pixels not area.

Imagine a camera with a square sensor which gives an image of 7200 x 7200 pixels. At 72 dpi it is a photo at 8 foot 4 inches by  8 foot 4 inches. At 300 dpi it is 2 feet by 2 feet. Both still have the same 51,840,000 pixels. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.