5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Use a Mask

Masking something does not delete it.

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Use a Mask

wow. ok. So you are saying:
 - it is impossible to delete selection without rasterizing
 - that every time I just want to delete a part of an image I need to DRAW a mask in THAT SHAPE?  And who is going to pay me for the lost hours?

I don't believe what I'm reading here. That's something that is done in almost any other tool in seconds..

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SlavaUX said:

- that every time I just want to delete a part of an image I need to DRAW a mask in THAT SHAPE? 

If you keep in mind that an "(Image)" layer & a "(Pixel)" layer are two different types of layer objects created by different processes, that the former can easily be converted to the latter (via rasterizing it), & that "marching ants" selections are not by themselves part of any layer, you should be able to do what you want.

Edited by R C-R

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In this respect they are somewhat like vector objects -- you can scale, rotate, stretch, shear, etc. them non-destructively & either via the Transform panel or with the popup on the context toolbar of the Move Tool, reset them to their original properties with no change to their 'native' resolutions.

That's simply not a good explanation of why deleting is not possible. Vectors consist of multiple geometric shapes laid on top of each other, which is the reason you can't select by color or delete that selection. Image layer still contains one single bitmap. Scaled, rotated, stretched or not, there is nothing that makes Select Brush > Delete impossible to build in.

Users are complaining about this missing basic feature since 2016. I don't think it is anyone's interest to defend the lack of it and point people to the workarounds.

24 minutes ago, SlavaUX said:

that every time I just want to delete a part of an image I need to DRAW a mask in THAT SHAPE? 

No you draw/make the selection as normal then use that as the basis for your mask

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

13 minutes ago, SlavaUX said:

Image layer still contains one single bitmap.

But the resolution of their bitmaps are independent of the resolution of the document. It is in this respect that they are similar to vector objects.

Affinity Photo 

Hi SlavaUX,
The Image layer acts as a container for the original full resolution image data. You are not manipulating the pixel data contained inside (directly) unless you rasterise the layer (which is done using the dpi specific for the document). You can only affect it indirectly through masks, adjustments, live filters or transforms (scaling, skewing etc). If you really want to manipulate it at a pixel level rasterise the image layer so it becomes a "regular" pixel layer as you are used to in Photoshop and other editors. Check this video tutorial for more details.

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi SlavaUX,
The Image layer acts as a container for the original full resolution image data. You are not manipulating the pixel data contained inside (directly) unless you rasterise the layer (which is done using the dpi specific for the document). You can only affect it indirectly through masks, adjustments, live filters or transforms (scaling, skewing etc). If you really want to manipulate it at a pixel level rasterise the image layer so it becomes a "regular" pixel layer as you are used to in Photoshop. Check this video tutorial for more details.

Thanks. I got that from the previous posts in this thread. The functionality is a useful addition, which allows out of the box image manipulation without losing the resolution and revert changes.

I also understand that current versions of Affinity Designer/Photo are unable to delete bitmap pixels form a selection on top of an Image layer.

From my perspective it should be possible to implement ('walking ants' selection path is a single vector path anyway, so just apply size/scale/skew from the image layer in reverse order to the underlying original bitmap and delete those pixels. voila). This should be applicable to Erase Brush tool just as easy. Please put this on your roadmap. You know people want it.

Have you tried to insert/place an afphoto document containing the image instead? It will be inserted as an embedded document (not an image layer) which you can double-click on canvas or in the Layers panel (on its thumbnail) to open and edit in a new document tab as if it was a "smart object" (as in Photoshop).

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Have you tried to insert/place an afphoto document containing the image instead? It will be inserted as an embedded document (not an image layer) which you can double-click on canvas or in the Layers panel (on its thumbnail) to open and edit in a new document tab as if it was a "smart object" (as in Photoshop).

Saving to file and embedding otherwise simply pasted bitmaps, just to be able to delete selection once? For each bitmap in every new design document?  ehm..

5 hours ago, SlavaUX said:

'walking ants' selection path is a single vector path anyway...

No, it is a document level pixel-based selection, one that may enclose partial as well as whole pixels. It does not 'belong' to any specific layer nor is it itself a layer.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

No, it is a document level pixel-based selection, one that may enclose partial as well as whole pixels. It does not 'belong' to any specific layer nor is it itself a layer.

Seriously, I don't know why just wrote that. That message contains no added value to the matter in question.

1 minute ago, SlavaUX said:

Seriously, I don't know why just wrote that. That message contains no added value to the matter in question.

The value I was hoping to add is to let you know that your comment about 'walking ants' selections being single vector paths is incorrect. That's why it does not work as you assumed it should.

All they do is select an area of the canvas. They can be used with some but not all layer types to define whole or partial pixels for certain pixel-level operations (like masking, erasing, or painting).

It is easy enough to show this. One way is to create a document with a single pixel layer. Deselect it in the Layers panel. Now make a 'marching ants' selection with any of the selection tools. Try painting with a brush without reselecting the layer. Note that the deselected layer is unaffected.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

The value I was hoping to add is to let you know that your comment about 'walking ants' selections being single vector paths is incorrect. That's why it does not work as you assumed it should.

All they do is select an area of the canvas. They can be used with some but not all layer types to define whole or partial pixels for certain pixel-level operations (like masking, erasing, or painting).

It is easy enough to show this. One way is to create a document with a single pixel layer. Deselect it in the Layers panel. Now make a 'marching ants' selection with any of the selection tools. Try painting with a brush without reselecting the layer. Note that the deselected layer is unaffected.

I'm sorry I do not get why you are telling all this stuff about where selection belongs to. What does it matter? Selection is still a vector (a geometric, connected shape defined by X.Y coordinates of its points), and in its nature it cannot have overlapping areas of its own parts. Which makes it simple and perfectly suitable for implementing the requested delete feature by applying the exact same modifications as the "Image layer" has, and deleting the pixels in the original bitmap even though the original bitmap is contained inside a scaled and skewed "Image layer". I'm willing to bet two beers that once I got familiar with the codebase of Affinity I could code such operation in a day. This is not what I call hard to build.

31 minutes ago, SlavaUX said:

I'm sorry I do not get why you are telling all this stuff about where selection belongs to. What does it matter?

Maybe this will help Marching ants selection with no layers.afphoto. It does not belong to any layer because there are none, it is not aligned to whole document pixel boundaries, & it is feathered so the 'marching ants' do not accurately define what would be affected if applied to a layer even if there was one.

P.S. I am partial to robust ales made by craft breweries like Full Sail, Peticolas, New Belgium, & Texas Ale Project. 😄

Affinity Photo 

Pixel layer added, Flood Fill Tool used to fill the marching ants selected, 1000% zoom of part of the result:

1433925175_filledselection.jpg.0fc95aa357acb667d2c6f00746470483.jpg

This demonstrates that the 'marching ants' do not accurately define what would be affected if applied to a layer even when there is one.

This is because it is a feathered selection of the canvas (not of any layer) & only shows canvas pixel areas that will be affected by 50% or more by actions applied to pixel elements.

Also note that unlike vector objects, the width of the marching ants remains constant at any zoom level.

Affinity Photo 

Posted (edited)

I'm glad I found this thread, it looks like an software wierdism. I had four layers, one where i selected an open Affinity image and two where I dragged them in from explorer, plus the origibal image.

The pasted image behaved as expected but the two dragged layers just got deleted rather than the selection. All were pixel images, so I cannot see why the problem exists but MEB's response works perfectly.

There are some wierd aspects to Photo but c'est la vie.

The problem is, really, that the image layer is an undocumented feature.

Edited by Lightsmith
Update