You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 Installer NOT GOOD, Please go back to original, MY WORK IS CUTTING AFFINITY BECAUSE OF IT

I am also very disappointed. Aside from the problems mentioned above.... I tried open my RAW file, but AP crashed and suprisingly - I see no way to open it again besides restarting computer (funny that the attempt to open it ends with a message recommending to reinstall the program).

I really don't see a reason to irrevocably change something that worked well. Especially if you get paid for it.

4 hours ago, Kája said:

I am also very disappointed. Aside from the problems mentioned above.... I tried open my RAW file, but AP crashed and suprisingly - I see no way to open it again besides restarting computer (funny that the attempt to open it ends with a message recommending to reinstall the program).

I really don't see a reason to irrevocably change something that worked well. Especially if you get paid for it.

@KájaI haven't even activated mine. If it doesn't install to the correct place i am not using it. 

In fact it feels like a DEAD END WITH SERIF on this subject. Perhaps a REFUND and back to Adobe. Such a shame. The time and effort that i have put into using this software on the past 50 movies and this is the outcome.

Perhaps i was in error leaving adobe in the first place.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

I don't like new installer but such posts are starts to became quite funny :D As a pro you're going to spend a lot more money for another tool even though Affinity was fine only because it does not install where you want even if the problems caused by that fact can be solved (OK, perhaps in your case can't be, I don't know)?

I understand complaints about features, unfixed issues, price policy etc. but it seems that installer is not such a big problem, only their introduction by Serif was poorly conducted...

11 minutes ago, Designer1234 said:

I don't like new installer but such posts are starts to became quite funny :D As a pro you're going to spend a lot more money for another tool even though Affinity was fine only because it does not install where you want even if the problems caused by that fact can be solved (OK, perhaps in your case can't be, I don't know)?

I understand complaints about features, unfixed issues, price policy etc. but it seems that installer is not such a big problem, only their introduction by Serif was poorly conducted...

@Designer1234this may not be an issue for you, but money isn't for me. Never was the issue. Better more productive software is. My industry dictates what i use. They are not moving forward with V2 of Affinity software. This now becomes a issue for me, as I follow the same path/directory structure they do.

Everyone has different uses for their software. If it was just me, I would put up with it . Not in anymeans ideal when someone forces you to put something you don't want to where the want.  But in  MY case this doesn't work, and 2 companies I contract to for FILM work dont' want to either. So this was a email to see if SERIF have some sort of compromise.

Seems that they do not. Will wait another day, and if nothing happens , will just get a refund.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

28 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Evidently it is for some people, and I would not dismiss it. A very long time ago I did technical support, it was my entry into the IT world. Trust me, if you cannot get the software installed or customers have to go through hoops to do it, it is a bad customer experience.

except for it installs, and it actually has a higher install success rate without hoops to go through to install it (and IMO quicker). All the issues are varying based on after the install (DAM software doesn't use default applications).

I understand that change is unwelcome but nothing here has been above inconvenient for a moment. 

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

There are quite a few people posting who say otherwise. Some people cannot get the software installed. There are other threads stating exactly this.

@LondonSquirrelI agree , i have seen more install issue on this version than any other. I have removed mine. My D drive looks like a child created random directories everywhere after using the method of installing on  a different drive without CONTROL.

Gary

15 minutes ago, red.foxx15 said:

except for it installs, and it actually has a higher install success rate without hoops to go through to install it (and IMO quicker). All the issues are varying based on after the install (DAM software doesn't use default applications).

I understand that change is unwelcome but nothing here has been above inconvenient for a moment. 

@red.foxx15Its more than a inconvienence for some. It breaks the directory structure that is enforced. 

Gary

17 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi all. Thanks for your patience over the weekend when our offices were closed.

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to offer MSI installers to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Thanks for your feedback!

@Mark Ingram  THANK YOU ! very much for listening to us and me specifically.  This helps so much . I look forward the new file formats.

again, THANK YOU.

Gary

On 11/13/2022 at 7:42 PM, red.foxx15 said:

MacOS is Unix based not Linux based.

They are not as close as you would like them to be

Yep. it started out as BSD underneath but it's been VERY Applefied. Doesn't really even feel like *nix anymore on the command line. Nothing like SunOS / Solaris, Linux, etc. ...and I know those are AT&T style SVR4 -- or an imitation thereof, not BSD (except for SunOS). The old joke was the irony that LSD and Unix both came from Berkeley. Now OSX feels like unix on acid...   😁

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

Well, since I commented on the statements made by the author quite harshly, I must now admit that I have read more about the installation problems and was myself relieved to hear that the old installer is back. Initially I thought that launch aliases works well, but It turns out that I myself would have had trouble creating profiles in the mouse and tablet drivers.... ;) So great news from Serif for everyone. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:34 AM, Mark Ingram said:

Hi all. Thanks for your patience over the weekend when our offices were closed.

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers, to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Thanks for your feedback!

@Mark Ingram

Is there a timeline for the new installers? Itching to play with the new program.

Gary