You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo v1 no longer available in App Store

Chriz

Hi,

I totally love your work, but I just got a new iPad and wanted to install Affinity Photo v1 which i purchesed earlier. I know that you can‘t find the app through the normal search functionallity, so I went to ‚my account‘ —> ‚purchased‘ and was able to find the app. Unfortunately, when I tap on the app the AppStore tells me that a connection is currently not possible.

I doubt that it‘s really a connection problem, because all other apps work normally. I assume it‘s because the app was removed from the App Store.

I got confused and slightly angry, because I purchased the app and now I‘m no longer able to use it. Only because there is a paied updated - which is totally fine when you are not forced to update, but as I understood I have no option now.

Do you have any solution to get my purchased app again?

3 hours ago, Chriz said:

Unfortunately, when I tap on the app the AppStore tells me that a connection is currently not possible.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. Sorry you're having that problem.

It should work. If it's still not working I would suggest you try fully restarting your iPad. If it doesn't work after that your best approach may be to talk with Apple Support, because it's their Appstore app that you're using, and which is having the problem.

Sorry I don't have anything better to suggest, but I doubt Serif can help resolve this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...

I cannot find Affinity Photo V1 in the App Store...

I purchased a new iPad Pro and the Affinity Photo version 1 is no where to be found in the Apple App Store. It's no longer under the developer apps list either. Please send me a fresh download of the old Affinity Photo version 1 or refund me for the version 2 which I was forced to buy it to get a client's photo project done in a timely manner. 

3 hours ago, Marius87 said:

I cannot find Affinity Photo V1 in the App Store...

I purchased a new iPad Pro and the Affinity Photo version 1 is no where to be found in the Apple App Store. It's no longer under the developer apps list either. Please send me a fresh download of the old Affinity Photo version 1 or refund me for the version 2 which I was forced to buy it to get a client's photo project done in a timely manner. 

Hi @Marius87 and welcome to the forums. You can find any app you've purchased from the App Store, including Affinity v1 or 2 by going to My Purchases in the App Store. Here are the steps from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211841

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 11 months later...

I had to erase my iPad Pro just now but I am having the same problem that the others are — I can't find Affinity 1 to put back on the iPad in the Purchased Apps section of my App Store account, and I looked under two Apple IDs to boot.  How am I supposed to get this $$ back? I am not about to start another subscription to use your new-model 2.0. 

11 minutes ago, David Colman said:

I had to erase my iPad Pro just now but I am having the same problem that the others are — I can't find Affinity 1 to put back on the iPad in the Purchased Apps section of my App Store account, and I looked under two Apple IDs to boot.  How am I supposed to get this $$ back? I am not about to start another subscription to use your new-model 2.0. 

I believe the problems the others were having were resolved after they found the Purchased list. The above instructions should take you to a list of every app you've previously downloaded and it should be there.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

13 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I believe the problems the others were having were resolved after they found the Purchased list. The above instructions should take you to a list of every app you've previously downloaded and it should be there.

If you type Aff into the Search box, the ‘All’ tab will show all of the matching purchases (whether you’ve previously downloaded the apps or not) and the ‘Not on this iPad’ tab will show only those apps that are not currently installed.

IMG_0217.jpeg.5fc9b8afa1cba62e5f93ff70203187d3.jpeg

IMG_0218.jpeg.990124fd9cc354613f21c41884a07df8.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As I said in my post  — I thought pretty clearly — Affinity Photo is NOT in the "purchased" list of my apps, it's not in the complete list of my purchased apps (since these two things are now quite different), and not in ANY LIST RELATING TO MY ACCOUNT AT ALL. I hope that is clear.  

15 minutes ago, David Colman said:

As I said in my post  — I thought pretty clearly — Affinity Photo is NOT in the "purchased" list of my apps, it's not in the complete list of my purchased apps (since these two things are now quite different), and not in ANY LIST RELATING TO MY ACCOUNT AT ALL. I hope that is clear.  

Are you looking in the App application on your iPad?

Have you moved to a different region, or changed your Apple ID? What Apple region are you in?

Did you read both of the posts in the FAQ?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, David Colman said:

If ‘the "purchased" list of [your] apps’ is quite different from ‘the complete list of [your] purchased apps’, I’m afraid I don’t understand the difference.

Alfred spacer.png

Agree this is worrying, following the link to the old apps gives the cannot connect message.

Will need to make sure I have a backup of my iPad on a desktop otherwise next time I do a restore from iCloud it won’t install.

EDIT: added recordings showing that the V1 apps have been deleted from the app store just like some of my really old 2010 apps.

IMG_6012.png

IMG_6013.png

Edited by Paul Mudditt
Added screen recordings showing how Affinity apps are just like some of my really old 2010 apps that were removed from the app store.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

11 hours ago, Alfred said:

If ‘the "purchased" list of [your] apps’ is quite different from ‘the complete list of [your] purchased apps’, I’m afraid I don’t understand the difference.

Alfred, will be interesting if you can download V1 Affinity Photo which it doesn't look like you have installed?

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

23 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Alfred, will be interesting if you can download V1 Affinity Photo which it doesn't look like you have installed?

I had left it uninstalled to save space, but I’ve just installed it now without any issues. I was interested to note that the ‘Not on this iPad’ list doesn’t auto-refresh: I had to tab away to make Affinity Photo disappear from there.

Alfred spacer.png

36 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I had left it uninstalled to save space, but I’ve just installed it now without any issues. I was interested to note that the ‘Not on this iPad’ list doesn’t auto-refresh: I had to tab away to make Affinity Photo disappear from there.

Thanks Alfred, must be just a glitch at my side, still comes up with cannot connect message so doing a secure backup just in case.

15 hours ago, David Colman said:

Affinity Photo is NOT in the "purchased" list of my apps, it's not in the complete list of my purchased apps (since these two things are now quite different)

Have you hidden some of your earlier purchases?
Check out the corresponding settings in the Apple ID section of the Settings app.
(Caveat: the hidden purchases list is pretty buried.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, loukash said:

Have you hidden some of your earlier purchases?
Check out the corresponding settings in the Apple ID section of the Settings app.
(Caveat: the hidden purchases list is pretty buried.)

You're not kidding about its being 'pretty buried'!

In the Apple ID section of the Settings app, I had to tap on 'Media & Purchases' and then 'View Account'. The 'Hidden Purchases' section is under the heading 'Downloads and Purchases' in the Account Settings panel that pops up.

My Hidden Purchases list is empty. It isn't obvious how or when any purchases would be put there automatically, and I can't see how to hide purchases myself.

On a side note, why would anyone want to hide their purchases unless they were sharing their account with other people? They wouldn't really be hidden, anyway, since anyone with access to the account could do what I did.

Alfred spacer.png

34 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That's mentioned in the Affinity FAQ (second post):

-- Walt
PC:

55 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That's mentioned in the Affinity FAQ (second post):

So ’tis, but a Frequently Asked Question isn’t necessarily the same as a Frequently Read Answer! :P

Alfred spacer.png

AS I ALREADY SAID, THE AFFINITY APP DOES NOT APPEAR ON ANY — ANY, ANY, ANY, ANY — LIST IN THE ACCOUNT SECTION OF THE APP STORE. YES THAT INCLUDES HIDDEN APPS (WHICH WOULD HAVE REQUIRED ME KNOWING HOW TO HIDE APPS, ANYWAY!!!!)

I HOPE YOU CAN STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS ABOUT THAT NOW.

As I asked before, 

Have you moved to a different region, or changed your Apple ID? What Apple region are you in?

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi David,

The people above are taking the time out of their day to assist, so it's best to be polite, even if in your case their advice has not been the solution to your issue.

In your case it looks like the only approach is to contact Apple support as we have no access to any of this information.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb

Lee

@David Colman

Out of curiosity (and a desire to try and be helpful) I decided to check the situation on my iPad.

I accessed my account in the App Store, went to Purchase history and it defaulted to showing the "Last 90 days" as a link.  Clicking that link led to a screen Date Range.  I selected Custom and could then choose a year (in my case 2021, which was the year I first bought an iPad).  The first option under 2021 was "All year".  I chose that and then clicked Apply on the next screen, scrolled through the list and found Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo, both version 1, clearly.

Does that help you?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

11 hours ago, Alfred said:

You're not kidding about its being 'pretty buried'!

In the Apple ID section of the Settings app, I had to tap on 'Media & Purchases' and then 'View Account'. The 'Hidden Purchases' section is under the heading 'Downloads and Purchases' in the Account Settings panel that pops up.

Yeah, thanks for clarification. I didn't write down the exact path because our iPad as well as our iPhones are running in German, and I don't know the exact English names of these sections.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2