You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best Preset Size to Select in New>Document for Photo Preset ?

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to know like the other day in my other thread where I was trying to create a Background to be used when I have a Picture where I have isolated the Subject from the original background and If I want to place that subject  against a new background. So while creating this new background lets say If I am starting with creating a new document and then adding a fill layer to it. What is the best Preset to start with in a document for Photo Preset ? A preset size which works best for almost all Photo Projects? 

• Staff

Hi @augustya

The best document size would depend on what you are trying to achieve. If you are wishing to print to a photo size, the most commonly printed photo size is 4x6 in.
The links below may assist you in making the best choice for your project. 
https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/common-aspect-ratios-photo-image-sizes
https://www.printforfun.sg/Photo-Sizes-Guide

15 minutes ago, augustya said:

Do you mean this one ?

But please read the Shutterstock article.

What you choose should be about the designs you, as the artist, want to produce and the effect you want them to have, what you intend to do with them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But please read the Shutterstock article.

What you choose should be about the designs you, as the artist, want to produce and the effect you want them to have, what you intend to do with them.

Since I am going to create a Template Background which can be used with different subject when I remove the Original Background from them, I can only have one standard Size which fits and works in most cases. I cannot have different templates with different Size Ratio. I mean that would be Cumbersome. Who does that ? lol !

31 minutes ago, augustya said:

Since I am going to create a Template Background which can be used with different subject when I remove the Original Background from them, I can only have one standard Size which fits and works in most cases. I cannot have different templates with different Size Ratio.

In that case:
• Choosing a size as template larger than the estimated average output size ensures you will not run into problems for situations when you might want or need larger output.
• Choosing a template in square aspect ratio ensures you can use it for various formats and orientation.*
• If you only understand a template as a file to start with, you understand the possibility to choose the size and aspect ratio when a concrete project is built on it.
• If you place the background as linked file …

* p.s.: a fuzzy background like your mentioned one can be easiliy stretched without harm for the visual impression. It contains no detail which could imply a certain aspect ratio.

31 minutes ago, augustya said:

I mean that would be Cumbersome. Who does that ? lol !

Me. When I prefer flexibility and quality to laziness and convenience. The more often a template will become used the more the initial effort will be a benefit.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Me. When I prefer flexibility and quality to laziness and convenience.

+1

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

In that case:
• Choosing a size as template larger than the estimated average output size ensures you will not run into problems for situations when you might want or need larger output.
• Choosing a template in square aspect ratio ensures you can use it for various formats and orientation.*

An example of that would be ?

2 hours ago, augustya said:

I cannot have different templates with different Size Ratio. I mean that would be Cumbersome. Who does that ? lol !

I do. And I suspect most artists and photographers do.

The document you create must be appropriate for the subject matter you're putting into it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff
21 minutes ago, augustya said:

An example of that would be ?

I believe the shutterstock link attached previously contains various examples of this. Such as creating a poster or for use as a profile picture. 
https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/common-aspect-ratios-photo-image-sizes

2 minutes ago, augustya said:

This article says 4x6 and 8x10 are the most widely used size for images.

12 minutes ago, augustya said:

What size ?

Either larger than 6x6 inch or larger than 10 x 10 inches. Or you could make a document with some simple Perlin noise live filter layers with various colours and blending. Then top it off with a gradient layer to simulate lighting falloff. this way (with live filters and a gradient fill layer) your size is not so important. This could easily be scaled up and down.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Guys I am facing a problem here, so I have made some Background Templates here using Fill Layer and added colour and used Gradient Layer to it. Now when I try to use it against an image, a subject where I have masked out the background and when I try to use this Background Template that I have created using File>Place in the current project and when I do File>place since the Background Template is bigger and wider than the Pixel Layer Image I have to either stretch it or narrow it down using the handles which creates a very Oblonging of the Background Template which looks like the Funny Mirror thing where our faces look funny which we all have seen in a Circus when we go there. So what is the solution ? How does it need to be done the right way ?

It would help to have a screenshot of what you're seeing (before, and after your stretching/narrowing), including the Layers panel, @augustya.

Also a sample .afphoto file would be useful, if you're willing to share one.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It would help to have a screenshot of what you're seeing (before, and after your stretching/narrowing), including the Layers panel, @augustya.

Alright I will put one.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:30 PM, walt.farrell said:

So I have posted a screen recording of the issue I am talking about, Like you see in this video when I have masked the background from an image and when I try to place a new background image, and when I drag the background image either I have to pull it downwards or I have to bring it in from the right, since the background image is a bit too wide. And when I bring it in or pull it down, the background image looks stretched so what is the solution for this ? I do not want the background image to look stretched ?

On 5/9/2022 at 1:57 PM, augustya said:

I cannot have different templates with different Size Ratio. I mean that would be Cumbersome. Who does that ? lol !

8 minutes ago, augustya said:

I do not want the background image to look stretched

Now we have two conditions which seem to exclude each other.

• If you want to avoid stretching the blurred background template, you must create the template in the same aspect ratio of the final image composing.

• Or scale the background so that it fills the canvas without being stretched + use only part of the background this way.

• You may also consider removing the vignette layer(s) from the template + treating them separately from the dirty background.

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

• You may also consider removing the vignette layer(s) from the template + treating them separately from the dirty background.

didnt understand this part ? Why ? How does having Vignette lead to stretching of the background image ? also when you say treat them separately I did not understand that aswell ?

21 minutes ago, thomaso said:

• Or scale the background so that it fills the canvas without being stretched + use only part of the background this way.

Also did not understand this part aswell 😞 I mean how to go about doing this ?

Treating them as separate objects in your composing document enables you to ensure the vignette fits to the aspect ratio and thus achieves a more 'even' impression. While for the impression of the fuzzy background its position and aspect ratio is less relevant and obvious (e.g. in the viewers eye it could show just a different part of this "wall").  For the backround there is less 'right' or 'wrong' than for the vignette which possibly shall appear symmetrically.