You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which Affinity applications do you have?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Probably hand drawn or created in a 3D app and a few effects added later, if you notice the blur on the L's are softer than the blurs on the O

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Couple of skews 'tis all.
IMO, don't mess with the perspective or warp tools in photo.... more trouble than they're worth in this case (for a # of reasons).
So the process would be slightly easier in Designer, but it's basically the same except for one step (#3).

1) Convert text to curves and make sure there's a row of nodes across the center (or, wherever you want the bend to be). Use align on the row to be perfect.
2) Grab the top half of the nodes (make sure Transform Mode is on in the Node tool) and skew. Grab the bottom half and skew. And rotate the whole thing a bit.
3) In Designer, use the corner tool to round off the bendy spots.
In Photo there is no corner tool, you're gonna have to build those curves by hand (not hard). Add nodes on either side of the nodes at each sharp turn, delete the sharp turn node and adjust that new short segment (by pulling on it a little with the node tool) to fit the curve.
(you could add the extra nodes before skewing if you want. Use align again).
4) add FXs to your delight. The gradient can also be part of the FXs, but I did that as a separate fill. They, of course, can all be done as separate elements if you want.

768440969_ScreenShot2022-02-11at6_50_11PM.png.8ddca6b3c987c41840241a09f2345e06.png

6 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Couple of skews 'tis all.
IMO, don't mess with the perspective or warp tools in photo.... more trouble than they're worth in this case (for a # of reasons).
So the process would be slightly easier in Designer, but it's basically the same except for one step (#3).

1) Convert text to curves and make sure there's a row of nodes across the center (or, wherever you want the bend to be). Use align on the row to be perfect.
2) Grab the top half of the nodes (make sure Transform Mode is on in the Node tool) and skew. Grab the bottom half and skew. And rotate the whole thing a bit.
3) In Designer, use the corner tool to round off the bendy spots.
In Photo there is no corner tool, you're gonna have to build those curves by hand (not hard). Add nodes on either side of the nodes at each sharp turn, delete the sharp turn node and adjust that new short segment (by pulling on it a little with the node tool) to fit the curve.
(you could add the extra nodes before skewing if you want. Use align again).
4) add FXs to your delight. The gradient can also be part of the FXs, but I did that as a separate fill. They, of course, can all be done as separate elements if you want.

768440969_ScreenShot2022-02-11at6_50_11PM.png.8ddca6b3c987c41840241a09f2345e06.png

This has got me half way there but the O isn't working. If I grab all the nodes (above the bend line) of the O curves and skew it goes out of totally out of shape. If I only grab the top one it bends in a new place. Any Ideas?

Works great on the Ls. Maybe Designer would do it better but I believe it was done in Photo.

Edited by Dangerous
Edited to add the video

@Dangerous, when moving nodes, don't forget to activate the "Transform" tool (as indicated by @JimmyJack), then select, for example, all the top nodes as well as the center nodes, and place the cursor not on a node but on the double inverted arrow that appears when you are near the rotation handle.
I used Designer for my example.

Letter.gif

Thank you @JimmyJack and @G13RL

The things I was doing wrong were.

1: Clicking on a node rather than using the shear arrows.
2: Using a circular O and not the elongated O as in the original image and and in your images, what font style is it?
3: Using A-Photo, lol. I've managed in in photo but designer probably would be better.

19 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

Using a circular O and not the elongated O as in the original image and and in your images, what font style is it?

Gobold is one possibility that springs to mind.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Dangerous said:

Thank you The things I was doing wrong were.

1: Clicking on a node rather than using the shear arrows.
2: Using a circular O and not the elongated O as in the original image and and in your images, what font style is it?
3: Using A-Photo, lol. I've managed in in photo but designer probably would be better.

4. Not enabling Transform mode.
5. Not including the centerline nodes in the selection.

Considering everything that could go wrong, it would be nice if there was a simpler way to do this built into the app!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Dangerous said:

Many Thanks. It works better than with the rounded text.

Thanks All

To be sure, the straight edges accentuate the different planes. But it still works okay starting with a circle... although the process is a bit more involved due to the nature of the nodes on the centerline. But doable.

1427402867_ScreenShot2022-02-12at2_13_56PM.png.760847cbf0162703e54428af81c80060.png

36 minutes ago, R C-R said:

4. Not enabling Transform mode.
5. Not including the centerline nodes in the selection.

Considering everything that could go wrong, it would be nice if there was a simpler way to do this built into the app!

I was doing 4 & 5. It was mostly done to #1 at first before finding out I needed to use the shear arrows in transform mode and not a node. I have it sussed now.