You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding linked text box gives tiny and massive type

PeterAG

2 hours ago, Peter Alan Green said:

When an overflowing text box is used to create a new text box, the text in the new box is tiny (typically 5pt) and when this is corrected the text in the original box becomes huge (around 48pt).

One common cause (user error) for that is resizing a text frame by using the detached handle on the lower right. That handle both resizes the frame and rescales any text that goes into the box. Instead, if you don't want rescaling, you must use the corner handle. If you've done that I think you'll need to delete and recreate that frame.

Another common cause is some kind of bug associated with IDML import.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

One common cause (user error) for that is resizing a text frame by using the detached handle on the lower right. That handle both resizes the frame and rescales any text that goes into the box. Instead, if you don't want rescaling, you must use the corner handle. If you've done that I think you'll need to delete and recreate that frame.

Another common cause is some kind of bug associated with IDML import.

I am using the verticle 'spectacles' link.

5 minutes ago, Peter Alan Green said:

I am using the verticle 'spectacles' link.

What ‘spectacles’ link are you referring to? When there is overflowing text, an eye icon is displayed next to the red link triangle on the right-hand edge of the frame, but I don’t recall ever seeing anything resembling spectacles (vertical or otherwise).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

What ‘spectacles’ link are you referring to? When there is overflowing text, an eye icon is displayed next to the red link triangle on the right-hand edge of the frame, but I don’t recall ever seeing anything resembling spectacles (vertical or otherwise).

A black 'rounded'square above an identical squarte connected by vertical lines.  I then get this result.

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 12.12.50.png

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

A balck si

50 minutes ago, Peter Alan Green said:

A black 'rounded'square above an identical squarte connected by vertical lines.  I then get this result.

Isn’t that just a multi-column text frame? :/

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

What ‘spectacles’ link are you referring to?

I think it's the link symbol you get when the mouse is over the "triangle":

Untitled.jpg

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

24 minutes ago, Peter Alan Green said:

Yes and when you use it I get tiny type as per screenshots. 

Can you give us a video showing that, please, as it works for most of us.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you give us a video showing that, please, as it works for most of us.

9 minutes ago, Peter Alan Green said:

Sadly not got that capability.

Alfred spacer.png

Did you paste the text from another AFPub file which has got different dpi settings?

I have come across the following behaviour:

1. create a file with 300spi resolution
2. create a text frame and fill it with dummy text
3. reduce the size of the text frame so that there is an overflow
4. copy the text frame to the clipboard
5. create a new document with a resolution of 600 dpi.
6. paste the text frame from the clipboard
7. use the red triangle to draw a new text frame into which the overflow text will flow
8. in the new text frame the font size is exactly half the size of the first text frame.

If you now set the fontsize in the second frame manually to the one in the first frame and then resize the first frame so that text flows back ... fontsize will be doubled.

So there are some scaling involved but i dont find a way to solve this issue.

Greetings

Odds are you used this 'dot' to resize the first text frame

1398525615_ScreenShot2021-10-27at7_30_57AM.png.5cc85a1fd6f2c194e0f99f820145ec16.png

You should copy all the text. Delete the text frame and make a new one. Paste the text into it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, Peter Alan Green said:

Nope I used the text flow icon

I am talking about the first text frame, I am saying that I believe you resized that text frame earlier. That resizing would result in an increase in the size of the text in that one frame, while the actual text that would flow out of the frame would be the original size.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

39 minutes ago, Peter Alan Green said:

Nope the type stays the correct size in the original frame unless I resize the type in the new frame.

Please try what @Old Bruce suggested:

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

You should copy all the text. Delete the text frame and make a new one. Paste the text into it.

If you don’t touch the outer handle you shouldn’t experience the problem with either the first frame or any frames linked to it.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Peter Alan Green said:

Here's the video.

The video starts too late. We need it (as hinted by @Old Bruce and others to start before you created the text frame you're linking from.

(Unless you have, instead, the IDML import bug I mentioned above.)

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, Peter Alan Green said:

So I need to start again each time not just edit an existing doc?

You can probably start with an existing doc. But if you ever create a text frame in a document, and then mistakenly resize the frame using the rescaling handle instead of the resizing handle, you may consider that text frame broken. And if you then use that document for something later, it will still be broken.

-- Walt
PC: