You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to reduce this Sunlight Glare falling on the Head ?

You could make a selection of the girl's hair, refine the selection and then switch to the Develop Persona and adjust the Shadows and Highlights (i.e., pull down the Highlights), pull down the exposure slightly and maybe make small adjustments to the Blackpoint and Brightness.

You don't have a great image to start with (as in the hair is crudely cut out) so it will need a little finessing to get a good selection in the first place but a quick 10 second, rough and ready application of the above would give you something like this... You'll need to spend a bit more time to get it looking as you want it, hopefully you have a version without the solid background so you could tidy up the hair prior to making your selection and any adjustments.

girl.jpg.bd38e129f0ce1354961817ae3c1b8afb.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

38 minutes ago, Hangman said:

You could make a selection of the girl's hair, refine the selection and then switch to the Develop Persona and adjust the Shadows and Highlights (i.e., pull down the Highlights), pull down the exposure slightly and maybe make small adjustments to the Blackpoint and Brightness.

Two things that I dont know here...

is exposure also in the Blend Ranges > Blend Options ? how do I reduce exposure ?

is there an adjustment layer with the name of Blackpoint that I can use? Do you mean the Black & White adjustment layer ?

This is just one option, make your selection...

328883453_GirlHairSelection.jpg.43cea95ce6ee5494fb2206e9c333d518.jpg

Change to the Develop Persona...

145015283_DevelopPersona.jpg.6d899ae74f6671215e1edea7b23de8a6.jpg

Make your Adjustments...

Adjustments.jpg.b75797ca79ce02be27d9f984c449fdfa.jpg

You could equally achieve the same thing using a Curves Adjustment comined with an Exposure Adjustment using the Layers Panel...

874959580_AdjustmentLayers.jpg.e9cbac4e093fd08f14c0784977484e27.jpg

I just find it easier to make all the adjustments in one go using the Develop Persona...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Just now, Hangman said:

This is just one option, make your selection...

328883453_GirlHairSelection.jpg.43cea95ce6ee5494fb2206e9c333d518.jpg

Change to the Develop Persona...

145015283_DevelopPersona.jpg.6d899ae74f6671215e1edea7b23de8a6.jpg

Make your Adjustments...

Adjustments.jpg.b75797ca79ce02be27d9f984c449fdfa.jpg

You could equally achieve the same thing using a Curves Adjustment comined with an Exposure Adjustment using the Layers Panel, I just find it easier to make all the adjustments in one go using the Develop Persona...

Gotcha ! But playing(Reducing the points that you have mentioned) Highlights, Exposure, Blackpoint, and Brightness, That is indeed helping but it is also making the already black portions of the hair look way darker almost even darker than Charcoal Colour which is an undesirable thing. Side effect.

My example was a really quick, very rough and ready suggestion as to one possible way you could approach it, you'd need to experiment to see what works best, maybe using levels or curves adjustments in combination with other adjustment layers would give you the result you need. The source image you posted isn't the best starting point in terms of image quality. I don't know how the source image looks and whether the source image is a JPEG or if you have a RAW version available, the latter would likely give you much more scope to producing a better looking final result...

18 minutes ago, augustya said:

But playing(Reducing the points that you have mentioned) Highlights, Exposure, Blackpoint, and Brightness, That is indeed helping but it is also making the already black portions of the hair look way darker almost even darker than Charcoal Colour which is an undesirable thing

In addition to the suggestion already made in this thread. If you add an exposure filter, it's already containing a mask on its own. So, I'd create an -X exposure filter, invert its mask (-> now, having no effect on the image at all as it's all masked out), then "paint in the exposure" onto the mask with a soft brush in white until I get the result I need. Painting with white on the exposure layer will reveal only these painted-in parts of the adjustment.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

12 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

In addition to the suggestion already made in this thread. If you add an exposure filter, it's already containing a mask on its own. So, I'd create an -X exposure filter, invert its mask (-> now, having no effect on the image at all as it's all masked out), then "paint in the exposure" onto the mask with a soft brush in white until I get the result I need. Painting with white on the exposure layer will reveal only these painted-in parts of the adjustment.

How do you create an -X Exposure Filter ?

2 hours ago, augustya said:

How can I reduce/eliminate the Glare coming on the subject's head on the right top side of her hair/head. It is a Sunlight Glare/reflection falling from a window on the head.How do I get rid of it ?

Previously discussed here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

49 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Any idea I have applied Adjustment Layer and I have inverted it and I am now trying to paint over it in white but looks like it is not doing anything. It is not painting it. What could be the reason ?

4 hours ago, augustya said:

Any idea I have applied Adjustment Layer and I have inverted it and I am now trying to paint over it in white but looks like it is not doing anything. It is not painting it. What could be the reason ?

1. Make sure the Adjustment layer is selected in the Layers panel.
  2. Make sure the Paint Brush Tool is selected (not the Paint Mixer, Color Replacement, etc. brush)
  3. Select a brush from the Basic category like a simple round brush
  4. With the Paint Brush Tool selected, check the settings in the context toolbar for opacity, flow, hardness, blend mode, protect alpha, etc. to make sure they are all set to appropriate values (near 100% for the ones you set by percentage, protect alpha off, blend normal, & so on)

If any of this seems unclear, please post a screenshot showing the context toolbar, the selected layer in the Layers panel, & the tool you have selected from the Tools panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:
  1. Make sure the Adjustment layer is selected in the Layers panel.
  2. Make sure the Paint Brush Tool is selected (not the Paint Mixer, Color Replacement, etc. brush)
  3. Select a brush from the Basic category like a simple round brush
  4. With the Paint Brush Tool selected, check the settings in the context toolbar for opacity, flow, hardness, blend mode, protect alpha, etc. to make sure they are all set to appropriate values (near 100% for the ones you set by percentage, protect alpha off, blend normal, & so on)

If any of this seems unclear, please post a screenshot showing the context toolbar, the selected layer in the Layers panel, & the tool you have selected from the Tools panel.

For all the things that you have mentioned everything is true except Hardness fire the brush is set to 0 I don't know if that would make any difference ? Does it ?

7 minutes ago, augustya said:

For all the things that you have mentioned everything is true except Hardness fire the brush is set to 0 I don't know if that would make any difference ? Does it ?

A Hardness of zero combined with a very small brush width would make it very hard to see the change in the exposure effect.

Please consider posting the screenshot I asked about if you are still unable to see any effect with the hardness set closer to 100% & a reasonable sized brush width (like 5-10% of the width of the document).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

A Hardness of zero combined with a very small brush width would make it very hard to see the change in the exposure effect.

Please consider posting the screenshot I asked about if you are still unable to see any effect with the hardness set closer to 100% & a reasonable sized brush width (like 5-10% of the width of the document).

Here you go....This is a Screen Recording of what I am trying to do. With the Brush Settings.

3 minutes ago, augustya said:

Here you go....This is a Screen Recording of what I am trying to do. With the Brush Settings.

The Hardness is set to 0% throughout. It needs to be at (or close to) 100%.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, augustya said:

Something doesn't seem to be working as expected because even at the beginning of the video the Exposure Adjustment layer is showing as black with a small white painted on area, & the invert step at around 22 seconds does not show it as inverting black for white.

I do not know if it would make a difference but maybe try deleting the Exposure Adjustment layer & adding a new one. Set it to a value of two or three just to make sure the effect will be visible (this can be changed later), make sure its thumbnail is white, & then invert it. If the thumbnail turns black, try painting on it with a white brush & see if the thumbnail shows that.

If not, I am not sure what is causing this but maybe someone else will.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Something doesn't seem to be working as expected because even at the beginning of the video the Exposure Adjustment layer is showing as black with a small white painted on area, & the invert step at around 22 seconds does not show it as inverting black for white.

I do not know if it would make a difference but maybe try deleting the Exposure Adjustment layer & adding a new one. Set it to a value of two or three just to make sure the effect will be visible (this can be changed later), make sure its thumbnail is white, & then invert it. If the thumbnail turns black, try painting on it with a white brush & see if the thumbnail shows that.

If not, I am not sure what is causing this but maybe someone else will.

I have only made the selection for the Hair, not the entire subject.

5 minutes ago, augustya said:

I have only made the selection for the Hair, not the entire subject.

Then is it true that you have before the start of the video already inverted the exposure adjustment layer & painted on it in white? Otherwise, I can't understand how its thumbnail is black everywhere except for the dab of white that looks like it is over part of the hair.

One thing to try if you do not want to delete the adjustment layer & try again is to double-click on the adjustment layer, which should open its level adjustment window & move the slider far to the right (to 5 or higher) just to make sure the effect is obvious.

Affinity Photo 

Let me propose another way to go about this. What you're trying to do is to darken the lighter hair, but pretty much leave the dark hair alone. This lends itself to Blend Ranges, since whatever you do to darken areas can be applied preferentially to the lighter areas and less so to the darker areas.

What I've done is to put a rectangle over the photo, covering the hair (and other parts of her head). Then, I created a mask by selecting and refining the hair. To begin with, I set the color of the rectangle to the color of the darkest part of the girl's hair. I changed the Blend Mode to Multiply, and I adjusted the Blend Ranges so that the effect was confined mostly to the lighter parts of the underlying hair. Finally, I adjusted the color of the rectangle (mostly by using the Luminosity slider) and its Opacity to get the effect as close as I could to natural.

537151674_DarkentheLightHair.jpg.3bd491ffab5ee2d0ac1d842de87b5c55.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

3 hours ago, augustya said:

What are the settings for he exposure adjustment layer? They need to be (quite a bit) in the negative area in order to make it work for this image. If it's too low (or zero even), it can't work. Before inverting the layer, the whole image should be very, very dark (focus solely on the hair's colour, which needs to be darkened, ignore the other areas).

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

Then is it true that you have before the start of the video already inverted the exposure adjustment layer & painted on it in white? Otherwise, I can't understand how its thumbnail is black everywhere except for the dab of white that looks like it is over part of the hair.

One thing to try if you do not want to delete the adjustment layer & try again is to double-click on the adjustment layer, which should open its level adjustment window & move the slider far to the right (to 5 or higher) just to make sure the effect is obvious.

So you are saying I should try and start all over again. Because when I painted in white over the lighter areas where the Glare is with the Exposure adjustment and inverting it. That does not anything !

10 hours ago, smadell said:

What I've done is to put a rectangle over the photo, covering the hair (and other parts of her head). Then, I created a mask by selecting and refining the hair.

So how can you make a selection of the hair only when you have a Rectangle put on it ? Can you ?

10 hours ago, smadell said:

To begin with, I set the color of the rectangle to the color of the darkest part of the girl's hair. 

How did you set the colour of the Rectangle to the Darkest Part of the Hair ? what method ?