Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.10.1.1138


Recommended Posts

  • Moderators

Status: Beta
Purpose: Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.10.1.1138 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.10.0 version recently released to all customers. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the release version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

---

Fixes and Updates

  • Fixed crashes on load of specific documents 
  • Fixed Convert to Curves crash with underlined text, emoji etc.
  • Chinese/Japanese fonts fail to load/be found when language is set to Chinese/Japanese respectively
  • Invalid URL hyperlinks prevent PDF export
  • Fixed crash on launch when a sync'd asset references an unavailable font

Affinity Publisher 1.10.0 Release Notes

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Affinity so much but, honestly, the Affinity beta system is a real negative for me. The requirement to have the store bought version to run alongside the beta versions leaves my Mac confused as to which software to use. And in many of my creative workflows I cannot select the beta version since the non-beta version has been selected. This leads to a lot of file confusion. I have tried workarounds for the past few years but there aren't any. I use a lot of software in which the beta version just needs a registered license to run on its own, so really why can't this be here??? Also, I've been very confused by messages that tell me to use the beta in preference to the store bought version, and then on the very next beta to not use the beta version for serious work, and then I can't open the updated document in the store-bought version.

For now, I will not use these beta versions. The confusion outweighs the new features, and if there is a serious bug on the store bought versions please fix those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, abarkalo said:

Also, I've been very confused by messages that tell me to use the beta in preference to the store bought version, and then on the very next beta to not use the beta version for serious work, and then I can't open the updated document in the store-bought version.

Generally the beta should be used only for testing, not production work. And when a major release is being tested (e.g testing 1.9 when the retail is 1.8) then usually the files will not be backward compatible (1.8 cannot open 1.9 files). 

However, when testing a minor release (e.g., 1.10.1 when the retail is 1.10.0) the files should be compatible, especially when Serif knows the changes are small. And in that case they may change the recommendation and say it's ok to use it for production.

-- Walt

Desktop:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 
Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
        Affinity Photo 1.10.6 (.1665) and 2.0.0 / Affinity Designer 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.0 / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.0
iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 16.1.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

      Affinity Photo 1.10.6 and 2.0.2 / Affinity Designer 1.10.6 and 2.0.2 / Affinity Publisher 2.0.2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Generally the beta should be used only for testing, not production work. And when a major release is being tested (e.g testing 1.9 when the retail is 1.8) then usually the files will not be backward compatible (1.8 cannot open 1.9 files). 

However, when testing a minor release (e.g., 1.10.1 when the retail is 1.10.0) the files should be compatible, especially when Serif knows the changes are small. And in that case they may change the recommendation and say it's ok to use it for production.

yes I know all that and to be honest there has been only one beta that did crash a few times and that was the earliest beta version of Publisher. Most betas have been very stable, even those "legally" marked as "don't use for production work." This says a lot about the quality of your releases. I am much happier with the improved performance and new features of the betas. But my complaint here isn't about that, but just with the requirement to have both the store and beta version to run alongside each other. I really want to have just the beta installed and be able to register that version. Otherwise, and to repeat, all the benefit I obtain from the beta is outweighed by my system mess. So, for the meanwhile, if minor releases or bug fixes will be soon updated for the store versions then I guess I'm just happy to wait for the store fixes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, abarkalo said:

Also, I've been very confused by messages that tell me to use the beta in preference to the store bought version, and then on the very next beta to not use the beta version for serious work, and then I can't open the updated document in the store-bought version.

Yeah, I complained about that one too. But so far it has happened only one time that I am aware of, and I think it was just one of those unexpected things, where the 1.9.4 beta turned out to be greater changes than expected. I hope Serif would not do that to us on purpose. I don't think they are that kind of company.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

However, when testing a minor release (e.g., 1.10.1 when the retail is 1.10.0)

1.9.4 was a minor release, and that is the one where they first said to use it in preference to the release version but then changed after. The problem is that 1.9.4 fixed the minimum justification bug in 1.9.3 and earlier, so text reflows if you go backwards. It was a sticky situation. I chose to keep using the last 1.9.4 beta so that text would hopefully not reflow when we move to 1.10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hm. I like working with betas. Makes me feel like I'm contributing to the software I like. And these have, largely, been quite stable. That said, I've had many reflow issues moving from beta to beta. I, too, might take a pause for a moment until I finish my current project. (Unless cross-referencing is introduced, then I'll throw caution to the wind.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.