You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to create a swatch from the attached sample? I have tried various approaches but am unable to create a swatch. Because of the art upon which I am working, a swatch of this item would be immensely useful. If a swatch cannot be created is there some sort of workaround?

Thanks so much. This forum is outstanding and I really appreciate all of the contributors and their wise and thoughtful contributions.

Bob

Tri Color AP.afpub

@Bobaffinity  I downloaded your file, and using it exactly as presented, created a swatch exactly the way @PixelPest described.   I didn't get any gold colors at all from your document.  Just the three, blue, magenta(ish) and white.  See first .afpalette file.  Then I expanded your sample (see screenshot below) and got the same palette that @PixelPest did.  See second attached palette.  There apparently wasn't enough gold in your attached file to permit Publisher to pick up that color.  

878584811_ScreenShot2021-08-14at2_01_48PM.png.4f8eb791cab404bb7fe346da2cdc1529.png 

Tri Color AP.afpalette

Tri Color swatch .afpalette

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

5 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I didn't get any gold colors at all from your document.  Just the three, blue, magenta(ish) and white.  See first .afpalette file.  Then I expanded your sample (see screenshot below) and got the same palette that @PixelPest did.

I got just the 3 colors on the first try, but instead of expanding the sample, I just moved the layers in the group so there was no overlap:

1752434418_nooverlap.jpg.043153ecf7831a653157a208fbc42619.jpg

That gave me the same palette with all the golds.

So apparently Create palette from document is sensitive to how much of a color is visible, even if there is lots of it hidden in the layers of the document. I'm not sure if that is 'by design,' a bug, or what.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

49 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So apparently Create palette from document is sensitive to how much of a color is visible, even if there is lots of it hidden in the layers of the document. I'm not sure if that is 'by design,' a bug, or what.

I wondered that, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

I would say it is by design.

Say I have an document with a variety of reds and greens visible, and only reds and greens. I decide to use that to generate my reds and greens palette. Then I am presented with a palette of mostly yellows and blues plus a few reds and greens because there were several yellow and blue layers covered up by the reds and greens. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I would say it is by design.

Say I have an document with a variety of reds and greens visible, and only reds and greens. I decide to use that to generate my reds and greens palette. Then I am presented with a palette of mostly yellows and blues plus a few reds and greens because there were several yellow and blue layers covered up by the reds and greens. 

OK, but in the OP's Tri Color example, the gold colored layer is not completely covered by the other layers -- even though it shows only as a thin pair of bands each about 5 px thick, within those bands its colors are clearly visible. This implies that there is some sort of threshold for how much of a color must be visible for it to be included in a swatch.

BTW, it does not seem to have anything to do with the gradient applied to the gold rectangle layer. I tried changing that to a single yellowish fill & that color still was not included in the swatch.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

APub finds all colors incl 1x1px/2x2px/3x3px and 4x4px:

10c.png.b07cced41006c7238fe9d7a0b0663ef2.png

But there´s something inconsistency going on with gradients. When I drag out the gradient and scale it to the same size as the gap it will be included in the swatches:

And I have no clue where it got the white color from

SwatchfromDocument.png.6657737744165c5abb0d562b0f1dc897.png

14 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

And I have no clue where it got the white color from

The document background is white.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just for the sake of discussion, Illustrator and CorelDRAW go through the document color values of all or selected objects when they create a document palette, which means that invislble colors will be included, as well, and for gradients only the stop values will be included (instead of a selection of shades as in Affinity apps where it seems that about max 70 shades out of e.g. full 256-color ramp will be included).

When there is no option for inclusion of all or selected colors, the way the Affinity apps now create a document palette might be the best compromise, and inclusion of a selection of in-between-shades of a gradient might also be practical as there is no blend feature the expansion of which would allow intentional and precise creation of the gradient ramp swatches.

One of the major reasons for creating a document color palette from used colors in vector based apps is having full color control of the document, especially with imported graphics, as e.g. in Illustrator the colors that are added as swatches are also simultaneously linked to the objects that use them. That allows quick change of colors, and also reduction of colors so that neighboring shades are merged, etc. 

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

APub finds all colors incl 1x1px/2x2px/3x3px and 4x4px:

Assuming the rectangles are arranged as on the left in your screenshot, none of them partially cover any of the others. What happens if you place them very near each other, with one mostly covered by the others?

I tried that on my Mac in this tiny palette test.afpub file & I get only a red, green, & black swatch, but not the orange one.

Affinity Photo