You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A list of bugs i found in affinity photo

There are quite a few bugs i found in affinity photo and posting them one by one maybe very inconvenient for me. If you want more details then ask me. But do not remove this post. So i am postings pictures. I spent 4 freakin hours on this so...

BB3B02BC-18D3-475D-AE04-9ACE1C51F44A.jpeg

8BFDED7E-8DE0-462E-BEB9-33B01EA66981.jpeg

0ADA4FA4-B45A-49A7-ACAE-C2DC4D6D61E3.jpeg

2 hours ago, Othe said:

So i am postings pictures.

It would be much better if you would make separate posts, one per bug. But if you're not going to do that, couldn't you at least type  the information rather than writing it long-hand? That would help immensely as (a) it would be searchable and (b) we all wouldn't have to read your handwriting. (I will admit that your handwriting is much more legible than mine. But still, please be a little kind and help us to help you.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

AFFINITY PHOTO BUGS

1) Whenever i use refine selection tool refine a selection and change the output mode to "new layer" the app crashes every time. 

2) There is a very weird bug going on, whenever i am rotating and zooming on canvas using my fingers all of a sudden one of these functions stop working simultaneously. We can either zoom or rotate which can be decided with the initial gesture.

3) when bug 2 happens (the upper one) sometimes while rotating and zooming out of nowhere, colour sampling tool appears and if i tap anywhere on the screen it picks up that colour. This one happens rarely

4) whenever i selects an adjustment from the arrows on top of adjustments menu with no subcategories  like "channel mixer" nothing happens. I have to select that adjustment from the "all adjustments" category. (Adjustments with no subcategories must have one subcategory)

5) There is one time when i encountered this when i use the history studio. I opened a previous document which i was working on. I use history slider to go back to a previous step and all of a sudden all the history after that step deleted automatically and i havent even touch the screen.

6) Resizing a document- whenever i tried to resize a document (in the middle of a project) with resampling turned off, nothing happens. I just want to resize the document and not the objects. Let me know that's a bug or affinity wont let us do that.

7) whenever i use fill tool on a layer for a gradient and switch to another layer, after coming back to the layer with fill tool used. The gradient is there but fill tool is missing (i.e. we cannot edit the previously applied gradient)

8) Flood fill tool is not performing as expected. I have to crank the brightness way upto 90% to colour all the pixels in a closed shape 

Don not insult my handwritting 😒

On 6/7/2021 at 6:24 PM, Othe said:

4) whenever i selects an adjustment from the arrows on top of adjustments menu with no subcategories  like "channel mixer" nothing happens. I have to select that adjustment from the "all adjustments" category. (Adjustments with no subcategories must have one subcategory)

No bug.

This is by design. You need to "add preset" and maybe rename the saved preset.

After creating one or more presets, you can select them from menu.

I intentionally created "std" presets for all adjustments to be able to use them.

Read the manual? https://affinity.help/photoipad/English.lproj/pages/Adjustments/otherAdjustments.html

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6) Resizing a document- whenever i tried to resize a document (in the middle of a project) with resampling turned off, nothing happens. I just want to resize the document and not the objects. Let me know that's a bug or affinity wont let us do that.

Not a bug, works as designed.

Resizing without resample just adjusts the dpi. This is a metadata change without any other visible effect.

Read the manual?

https://affinity.help/photoipad/English.lproj/pages/SizeTransform/imageSize.html

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

7) whenever i use fill tool on a layer for a gradient and switch to another layer, after coming back to the layer with fill tool used. The gradient is there but fill tool is missing (i.e. we cannot edit the previously applied gradient)

Not a bug. Works as designed.

If you want to be able to re-adjust a gradient  at a later time, use a fill layer or a rectangular shape instead, in combination with fill tool.

Edited by NotMyFault
Correction regarding fill layers

2) There is a very weird bug going on, whenever i am rotating and zooming on canvas using my fingers all of a sudden one of these functions stop working simultaneously. We can either zoom or rotate which can be decided with the initial gesture.

3) when bug 2 happens (the upper one) sometimes while rotating and zooming out of nowhere, colour sampling tool appears and if i tap anywhere on the screen it picks up that colour. This one happens rarely

Sounds like a hardware issue. Replaced the screen, especially by a 3rd party spare part?

Do you have a case that covers the edges, maybe some millimeters of the front side? For a test, remove it & clean all areas which were covered before.

While unprotected, handle iPad with care, at your own risk.

1) Whenever i use refine selection tool refine a selection and change the output mode to "new layer" the app crashes every time. 

Check the age of your iPad. Even if Photo is "supported" on some older iPads, it is unreliable on iPads until 2017 (RAM to small), especially when working with large documents (e.g. 24 megapixel raw photos). I have an iPad 2017 (Photo crashes occasionally) and a iPad Pro 2018 (rock solid).

Measures sorted in order of increasing effort & chance of healing:

1. (Preparations) Save (export) all documents stored in "Affinity Photo folders". They could be deleted by next steps.
  2. Close Photo and all Apps. Power cylce iPad (shut down. wait 2 minutes. Restart)
  3. Delete Photo App. Re-install Photo App.
  4. Apply all updates (14.6 is current as of today)
  5. Make complete device backup, preferably via iTunes to Mac / PC, otherwise to iCloud
  6. Factory Reset and restore:
  • Check if you have enough free iCloud storage.
  • Check that you know the backup/restore password.
  • Make encrypted backup (otherwise saved Wifi & other passwords get lost).
  • Check if you have any corporate profiles installed. Need to re-install later.
  • Caution: some legacy apps installed to your iPad will not be re-installed (if no longer available in App store)
  • After backup & checking all other pre-conditions:
    • Reset iPad.
    • Restore from backup.
  • Wait until all apps got re-installed. This can take some time (hours). You need WiFi / Internet Connection. Know the WiFi-Password.

Not a bug, works as designed.

Resizing without resample just adjusts the dpi. This is a metadata change without any other visible effect.

Read the manual?

https://affinity.help/photoipad/English.lproj/pages/SizeTransform/imageSize.html

what if I have to change the document size without scaling the contents/objects on the canvas, see below

6037F52F-E39C-4795-8DEF-E2C042B7601F.png

C1CFB1D5-6F29-43E1-A92D-DE073B565658.png

Sounds like a hardware issue. Replaced the screen, especially by a 3rd party spare part?

Do you have a case that covers the edges, maybe some millimeters of the front side? For a test, remove it & clean all areas which were covered before.

While unprotected, handle iPad with care, at your own risk.

Definitely not a hardware issue. I have ipad 8th gen brand new, barely 6 months old. I don’t use any case on it and all the other tools I use works perfectly fine. This issue only arises when using gestures for rotating and scaling at the same time.

Edited by Othe

2 hours ago, Othe said:

what if I have to change the document size without scaling the contents/objects on the canvas, see below

This functionality is called “crop” in Affinity. Simply use the crop tool with either mouse or numeric input. It can be found on the 

left side when in photo persona.

I would suggest that you at least spend some time watching the excellent tutorial videos, as they cover most of your questions (both already asked and not yet asked).

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/ipad/

This will help you distinguishing between “questions” and “bugs”, and post future questions in the correct sections of this forum.

This “bug” section is dedicated to bug reports which have been clearly described and made reproducible, including screen recordings and test files. If in doubt, start the discussion in the “questions “ section. 

4 hours ago, Othe said:

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

This functionality is called “crop” in Affinity. Simply use the crop tool with either mouse or numeric input.

I wonder if @Othe is referring to resizing the canvas instead of resizing the document. If so, there’s an option for this when you choose the Resize command (and there’s also an option for choosing the position of the ‘anchor’ that determines where the extra canvas is added or removed).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
14 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Not a bug. Works as designed.

If you want to be able to re-adjust a fill at a later time, use a rectangular shape instead of a fill layer, in combination with fill tool.

Regarding point 7: the gradient does NOT remain editable if applied to a regular pixel layer but it is editable if applied to a Fill Layer (or a to vector shape/text). To add a Fill layer, tap the "+"icon on the top of the Layers Studio and select Fill Layer. If the gradient handle doesn't appear on canvas, tap/select the Fill Tool to display it.