You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't put text on outside of circle

I keep trying to put the cursor on the outside of an oval I've drawn, but it keeps placing text inside the circle and upside down.    How do you reverse this or do it right?  The circle converts to path when I click above it. But the text only goes inside.  I'm on version 1.7.3

Same happens with text on a arc path.

Click inside and text is upside down, click outside and text is rightsize up. Problem is that there is a very narrow area outside the shape which will take the text on a path. You could try reversing the curve after the fact if you want. it is the odd looking fish-hook on the toolbar when the move tool is chosen and the circle it selected.

902733436_ScreenShot2021-02-02at11_47_05AM.png.5873ceaf7b160aa0183bcfb38a6e08b5.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 6 months later...

The problem is that button doesn’t exist on the ipad version of affinity designer. The ipad version gets f’d as the desktop version has everything, but the ipad version doesn’t. And then, if it does exist, they hide it or present it as a some symbol will no clue what it is. 

9 hours ago, MeAgain said:

The problem is that button doesn’t exist on the ipad version of affinity designer. The ipad version gets f’d as the desktop version has everything, but the ipad version doesn’t. And then, if it does exist, they hide it or present it as a some symbol will no clue what it is. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.
This topic is in the desktop part of the forums. You could post about that in the iPad part of the forums, in either Affinity on iPad Questions or Feedback for Affinity Designer on iPad.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, MeAgain said:

if it does exist, they hide it or present it as a some symbol will no clue what it is

It’s on the Context toolbar when a curve is selected with the Node Tool. The symbol used is as described above.

DDEB3FE7-2479-493D-948D-D76D7B9331C3.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Not sure sure what I’m doing different now, but it seems to be working when I place the curser…ipad pen on the screen, it placing the text on the outside of the text path. But I’m still not able to access the reverse button which you took a screen grab of. I can see it there when the node tool is selected, but the reverse button option is not accessible. Created a video showing what I’m doing, and I’m struggling trying to figure this out. Now I can’t paste in copied plain text into a file. I could yesterday, but today it won’t let me. And the ipad and designer are completely up to date.

• Staff
On 8/28/2021 at 5:02 AM, MeAgain said:

I’m still not able to access the reverse button which you took a screen grab of. I can see it there when the node tool is selected, but the reverse button option is not accessible. Created a video showing what I’m doing, and I’m struggling trying to figure this out.

Thanks for your screen recording provided and my apologies for the delayed response!

The reason this option is greyed-out is that you aren't editing a 'Curve' object. When creating a Ellipse Quick Shape, you need to use 'Convert to Curves' on the context toolbar, before adding your text on a path.

Once you have added your text to this Curve object, you should find the 'Reverse' option that Alfred has shown works as expected :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Since when do we need no convert an ellipse before applying artistic text to it?

For me it´s: draw circle/ellipse from upper left to bottom right - hit "T" enable text on shape immediately either on the top part for text on the outer perimeter or bottom for text inside the circle. Circle stays in its parametric condition.

• Staff
8 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Since when do we need no convert an ellipse before applying artistic text to it?

If you've added the text-on-a-path to the 'correct' side of the shape using your above provided method, then you shouldn't explicitly 'need' to convert the shape to Curves, but if the user needs to use the 'Reverse' option to have the text 'inside' rather than 'outside' - the object needs to be converted in order for this function to be accessible :)
(note this is for the iPad version only, as it doesn't have the 'Reverse Text Path' option found on the desktop, so you have to reverse the Curve itself).

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

For me it´s: draw circle/ellipse from upper left to bottom right - hit "T" enable text on shape

Note that "hit T" is ambiguous. That could give you

• The Frame Text Tool, which will give you Shape Text when you click the ellipse, and result in converting the ellipse to a Text Frame and the text filling the inside of the ellipse.
    or
  • The Artistic Text Tool, which will give you Shape Path Text when you click the ellipse, and result in the text following the path.

You (and this topic) are talking about using the Artistic Text Tool.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I can't believe I'm responding to this.

Hitting "T" will give you the Artistic Text Tool - the one that works on parametric shapes - if you got the Frame Text tool instead, because you used it last time  it won´t work and simply hit "T" again or risk an embarrassing look at the icon in the toolbar. And I know it´s about the Artistic Text Tool as I exactly said this 4hs ago.

2 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Hitting "T" will give you the Artistic Text Tool - the one that works on parametric shapes

What "T" does depends on both (a) what icon is currently showing and (b) what Tools Preferences you have specified for "use shift key to cycle tool groups".

So simply saying "hit T" can be misleading, which is why I commented on it.

2 hours ago, PixelPest said:

if you got the Frame Text tool instead, because you used it last time  it won´t work

It's more than "not working"; it will do something. If you don't pay attention and actually click it, you convert your shape to a Text Frame, and will have to Undo at least once, possibly more, depending on how quickly you realize what's going on.

-- Walt
PC: