You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

During the M1 presentation for apple in November they showed publisher running a file called adventure island (or adventure land in a few other youtubers who managed to get a hold of the file)

In it they show off the insane amount of zoom the file has and I have been trying to weeks to get a hold of this file but cannot find it anywhere. I attached a screenshot of it below

Is this available anywhere? I really want to zoom into and explore the city 

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 9.01.00 PM.png

You should have a look at it first and then comment.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

Hi @Proto93,

Unfortunately as you've mentioned this file was created by Apple and not ourselves - so we don't have a copy we can share with you, my apologies.

20 hours ago, wonderings said:

If the file is vector then zooming in really close is not that big of a deal. Is there more to this story? I did not watch the last Apple event. What are they showcasing here?

This file was used during the M1 presentation to demonstrate the speed of Affinitys processing/rendering when panning/zooming in a huge document with complex layers. I believe Affinity apps allow you to zoom in further than most creative apps, however it wasn't necessarily just the 'total zoomed percentage' that was being shown off here. :)

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Proto93,

Unfortunately as you've mentioned this file was created by Apple and not ourselves - so we don't have a copy we can share with you, my apologies.

This file was used during the M1 presentation to demonstrate the speed of Affinitys processing/rendering when panning/zooming in a huge document with complex layers. I believe Affinity apps allow you to zoom in further than most creative apps, however it wasn't necessarily just the 'total zoomed percentage' that was being shown off here. :)

I see. I guess the dream is dead. Oh well

What a nice file it would be to test our computers.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I've done some playing over the years with the fantastic zooming properties of AD.  Attached is a small test tile that lets me zoom to about 330 million percent.  Other drawing I've made didn't zoom quite as far but always a good 3 million or better.  I've never gotten better than the 330 million on my machine.  I can't get the smallest layer to fully zoom on my machine.  Maybe something newer or with 5k...

330,000,000 is awesome enough.

Zooming.afdesign

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

35 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Thanks for this! For me, redrawing stopped at 110,123,286% -- I wonder why, is it determined by available general / video memory? I tried this wtih basic MacBook Air with an M1 chip.

And I always thought it odd how magnificently it stops working.  I'd think it would just gradually fade or become irregular, but no it can go full screen color or full screen transparent instantly.  My 2009 desktop is the only computer I've tried this on, so it's interesting to hear that other computers have different maximums (minimums?).  I hope someone with a new computer with a 5k display will try this and let us know.

3 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Yes, it would be interesting to hear results with different kinds of configurations!

2,764,976,917 %  for my iMac (specs in my sig).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, Gear maker said:

R C-R what display do you have 5K? Retinal?

27-inch 5K Retina (5120 x 2880)

(AFAIK, all 27" 2020 model iMacs are 5K Retina ones)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2,752,293,537 % on the Late 2011 iMac 27" 

If you are going to allow crazy zoom levels at least make the display box big enough to display the numbers, did you really think we wouldn't?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, haakoo said:

% in what unit?

My test drawing was in inches.  Looks like you were in the same ballpark as I was.  I didn't try to be quite as accurate as you.

I have found two things. 

1. That now I'm getting a smaller zoom possible.  Could be because I have another rather large drawing also open, so I can't get the zoom larger than 224 million. 

2. If I do a zoom with using the mouse wheel I can get to 224M while if I use dragging using the zoom tool I can only get 212M.

Thanks for everyone's input.  It interesting.  It still amazes me the program can do this.  I have thought of doing a drawing of a flee on a dog, in a house, in a neighborhood, etc. etc. to see how far this zoom can really be used.