You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The new Bookmarks feature is very bad [1.9.0.742]

There are some problems with the new bookmarks feature. I don't really know all of what is broken but I cannot remove bookmarks by unchecking them in the Anchor's panel. I cannot get anything other than an alphabetical list of them. There seems to be some problem with renaming them, it doesn't stick. It is possible to nest the bookmarks but reordering is impossible.
I am fine with them showing up in the Table of Contents sidebar of Preview instead of the Bookmarks sidebar.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am fine with them showing up in the Table of Contents sidebar of Preview instead of the Bookmarks sidebar.

What PDF export preset did you use, and did you have Bookmarks enabled under More...?

As I mentioned elsewhere, they aren't enabled by default (like hyperlinks) in PDF for Print, but they are in PDF for Export.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

but I cannot remove bookmarks by unchecking them in the Anchor's panel

To remove a bookmark you would highlight it and click the delete icon (trashcan) as for any other anchor.

Unchecking should not remove a bookmark, but should only suppress including it in the PDF file during export.

There seems to be some problem with renaming them, it doesn't stick.

Renaming works on Windows. Perhaps a Mac UI bug if it doesn't work there.

It is possible to nest the bookmarks but reordering is impossible.

How do you nest them? I've seen it happen for headings (Heading 1, Heading2) but not for simple bookmarks that I add via Add Anchor.

but reordering is impossible

I'm not sure what you tried, but I can reorder them by dragging within the Anchors panel. If that doesn't work on Mac, it's apparently Mac-specific. (And, actually, that provided one way to nest them, too, but I'm not sure I fully understand how it's working.)

Also: Reordering or renaming within the Anchors panel seems to often flag the bookmark not to appear in the PDF.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Can confirm that no matter what export setting I tried, with include bookmarks ticked they do not appear in Preview (Mojave)

I can rename & delete but not change the order, but I did manage to nest one while I was tying to re order. While trying this it is easy to accidentally click on the little icon on the right which I suppose suppresses that bookmark in the export...but can't check 😀

317801154_Screenshot2020-09-19at13_06_11.png.459685e77f0f686a182d69eb10710c27.png

APub crashed a few times with a new document, at first caused by selecting the "digital" preset in the export options – but now it works.

v742 bookmark.afpub

Affinity Publisher Beta_2020-09-19-153423_mbp2.crash
Affinity Publisher Beta_2020-09-19-153539_mbp2.crash
Affinity Publisher Beta_2020-09-19-154318_mbp2.crash

To me the bookmarks appear in a PDF according to their icon highlight setting in APub.

953559560_bookmarkexportselection.jpg.227d53ea38b219d164c25926127752be.jpg

Changing the order doesn't work to me, too – though there is obviously an UI. I can drag an entry, get a blue bar – but nothing happens on mouse release.

98314531_bookmarkorderaffectless.jpg.aa70d86907ca144e6a02a37b414beb8b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Well today is a different day. The only thing that won't work for me now (after a computer shut down overnight) is the reordering.

I can rename the bookmarks and I can nest them and I can turn them on and off from the Anchors panel, but not the Anchor Properties pane although its checkbox will update to show the status of the Bookmark. I guess any bugs were in my machine and or my head.

I would really like the ability to have the bookmarks set by location in the document instead of the current alphabetized mess.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

42 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I would really like the ability to have the bookmarks set by location in the document instead of the current alphabetized mess.

Agree (same for Hyperlinks): A 'chronological' order (or a sort option) + page numbers next to each item would be very useful.

1882900325_bookmarkhyperl-pagenumbers.jpg.60372879ccba126f38b6eb090aba6f10.jpg

36 minutes ago, Murfee said:

Are the bookmarks showing up in Preview after export ?

Not to me, their tray is empty:

984694812_bookmarkpdf-previewapp.jpg.cac513c874c7072e2b3c9feb35515cf4.jpg

14 minutes ago, Murfee said:

Are the bookmarks showing up in Preview after export ?

7 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Not to me, their tray is empty:

As I originally mentioned

"I am fine with them showing up in the Table of Contents sidebar of Preview instead of the Bookmarks sidebar." So they show up in the ToC (Table of Contents sidebar [Inhaltsverzeichnis(?)]) instead of the Bookmarks.

An aside: As a reader I put bookmarks in books, I don't want the publisher/editor/writer filling it up with bookmarks for me.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

"I am fine with them showing up in the Table of Contents sidebar of Preview instead of the Bookmarks sidebar." So they show up in the ToC (Table of Contents sidebar [Inhaltsverzeichnis(?)]) instead of the Bookmarks.

Interesting. I don't get them, neither here nor there.

Do they show up for you in Preview for this attached PDF?    v742 bookmark.pdf

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Do they show up for you in Preview for this attached PDF?

No, yet the links seem to work.

Try these 

Does this work.zip

Does this work.zip

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

No, yet the links seem to work.

Try these 

Quite strange, I see your bookmarks in Preview (TOC) and in APub's panel but could not identify them on the pages: the button "Go to Anchor" is grayed out for every item and doesn't react on click.

But I noticed you assigned your anchors to objects (selected with move tool), not as I did, to a specific spot within text (text tool > anchor symbol). – Might this make a difference for Preview?

So I added two such 'frame' anchors to my .afpub and tried to export. APub now immediately crashes when the export command gets selected (no options window). I tried a few more times but it keeps crashing. The .afpub contains just a few objects (3 hyperlinks, 5 anchors). – Is anybody able to export from this? Or detect a culprit? (p.s.: Why have all my .afpubs at least 1.8 MB ?)

Here the changed .afpub + 3 more crash reports:      v742 bookmark - 2.afpub

Affinity Publisher Beta_2020-09-20-014429_mbp2.crash

Affinity Publisher Beta_2020-09-20-014429_mbp2.crash

Affinity Publisher Beta_2020-09-20-015054_mbp2.crash

Affinity Publisher Beta_2020-09-20-014428_mbp2.crash Affinity Publisher Beta_2020-09-20-014429_mbp2.crash

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.